maeng97

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
This has bothered for some time now but I haven't found the time to post it on here.

Since I live in sunny California, and my windows are tinted, this annoys me sometimes when I am driving at a certain time of day.

Of course, it doesn't do this every day, but some times it does deter my vision quite a bit.

Well, what is it? You may ask, it's the reflection of the reflective metal-like trim below the driver's side air vent on the driver's side mirror!

I have photos attached below, I don't know if LX owners experience this, since their trim is different (looks better, IMO). But does this annoy you guys at all?

I feel most automakers don't really shiny or reflective trim here for this very reason, but Honda did. I don't know, it looks like a design flaw to me, and it's very unHonda-like. Because the execution of the interior is amazing, as it always is on Hondas.

Honda Civic 10th gen One Design Flaw I Found.. (EX and up) IMG_1669.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen One Design Flaw I Found.. (EX and up) IMG_8028.JPG

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Well it looks like I'll need to sell my car now. ;)

Seriously though, I have the same interior trim and I can't say it's ever bothered me.

OP
OP
maeng97

maeng97

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Well it looks like I'll need to sell my car now. ;)

Seriously though, I have the same interior trim and I can't say it's ever bothered me.
LOL! Yeah it's not a deal breaker but it's definitely annoying.

Axatax

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
In Malkuth, surrounded by evil, low on gas.
Vehicle(s)
2K Civic DX Coupe B18C5 (swap), 2017 Civic LX Coupe 6MT
Country flag
Are you talking about that silver piece below the vent? My LX has that too but I don't think it's ever been distracting like that.

Maybe tint would help? Or you could always wrap it.

Sticks

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Country flag
I've only driven my Touring for 1800 miles in Arizona, but never noticed an issue. Having said that, not knocking your complaint. Maybe I'm used to stuff like that. My Corvette reflects the Kalahari dash in some lighting situations, as does the dark brown dash in my Jeep GC.

Again, living in Arizona where the sun shines 300+ days a year, maybe I've just adjusted to ignoring it. But, since all my cars do the same thing, I don't think it is a Honda design flaw.

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Not a design flaw a lot of cars use that silver color on the dash. You could always wrap it or buy the carbon dash overlays. A whole thread for this? Seems like a very small issue. Only clicked because it said “design flaw”

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It bothers me WAY MORE that my whole front dash reflects across the whole windshield on sunny days. Not a design flaw and nothing I really complain about, it just makes my hi def dash cam videos look like crap sometimes, lol

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
It bothers me WAY MORE that my whole front dash reflects across the whole windshield on sunny days. Not a design flaw and nothing I really complain about, it just makes my hi def dash cam videos look like crap sometimes, lol

I agree

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Why not a design flaw - it is an obvious design flaw, only it's not unique to Civic or Honda but common to many cars. It's just too expensive to eliminate all reflections (or rattles for example) in cheaper cars. There is scientific research done on these topics for example by Volvo. Certainly most effort is focused on luxury cars.

http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/160076.pdf

And this very learned work only addresses a small part of the problem including glossiness, lightness and radius of surfaces, but not the whole geometry of winshield-dasboard design.

Seems like a very small issue.
Yeah, small potatoes, yet some people earn master's degrees by studying "reflection/glare annoyance" in car interiors.

Last edited:

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why not a design flaw - it is an obvious design flaw, only it's not unique to Civic or Honda but common to many cars. It's just too expensive to eliminate all reflections (or rattles for example) in cheaper cars. There is scientific research done on these topics for example by Volvo. Certainly most effort is focused on luxury cars.

http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/records/fulltext/160076.pdf

And this very learned work only addresses a small part of the problem including glossiness, lightness and radius of surfaces, but not the whole geometry of winshield-dasboard design.

Yeah, small potatoes, yet some people earn master's degrees by studying "reflection/glare annoyance" in car interiors.
I've been complaining about so much lately, I was just trying to lay low on this one, lmao! I figured it had to do with the windshield angle as I never had it bad like this in my other cars.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Get a pet dwarf hamster and hang its cage off of that air vent. That should cover the glare...

Last edited: