yunggunz846

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Do you guys think it is OK to have an extra half quart of oil in the engine? Basically for tracking to help with oil starvation in the corners.
Sponsored

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, no, no. Unless you have significant modifications which change the OE specification for oil capacity, donā€™t put any amount in other than whatā€™s stated in the operators manual.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A little bit extra, beyond the top of the dipstick, probably won't hurt anything... but I don't know how to quantify "too much but it won't hurt anything" and "so much engine damage occurs".

I've heard the oil coming high enough to get to the bottom of the crank will churn it up and aerate it. From there, the volume of your oil is essentially just a mix of air and oil and will no longer provide the same amount of lubrication and heat removal. Just as a pump or a boat propeller is unable to push aerated water from cavitation... the same would happen to your oil pump even though it didn't directly cause the cavitation and air to form in the liquid firsthand. Fill to the top of the normal range of your dipstick if you want the most amount of oil you can safety have in the sump. I bet the difference between low and high is 1/4-1/2 a quart.

There were baffled oil pans made for the NA K-series cars over the years. I haven't heard of any for ours. I know the K-series did have oil starvation issues... you could pull a low oil pressure light from (very) aggressive cornering. I've not heard of anything in the forum for ours and there are a few that autocross.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™m w Charles. I donā€™t think a half quart would hurt anything. Iā€™ve over filled slightly a few times and no issues. Never seen the oil light on this car under hard cornering. You bring back memories of my ā€˜09 Si which I did have that experience with a time or two. That little high strung mofo drank the stuff and I always kept a quart in the trunk.
Sponsored