First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2010 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed that my windshield is getting hit a lot. Already had to replace it. Went with oem instead of aftermarket. Now ready this thread, maybe aftermarket may be stronger. Idk
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I noticed that my windshield is getting hit a lot. Already had to replace it. Went with oem instead of aftermarket. Now ready this thread, maybe aftermarket may be stronger. Idk
I too feel like Its getting hit a lot, but that might be cause every little thing is putting a chip in it. I've got three more since I started this thread :(
If I end up having it replaced, based on my previous experience, I'm going to go with safelite.

2018 Si FireFighter

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2010 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I too feel like Its getting hit a lot, but that might be cause every little thing is putting a chip in it. I've got three more since I started this thread :(
If I end up having it replaced, based on my previous experience, I'm going to go with safelite.
Safelite is the company I used. They did a great job. If you get replaced and use an aftermarket windshield I’d like to know how you think it holds up compared to an OEM

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Safelite is the company I used. They did a great job. If you get replaced and use an aftermarket windshield I’d like to know how you think it holds up compared to an OEM
Oh, ok. I wasn't thinking that they could actually put in an oem windshield for some reason. I'm not sure what they put in when I did use them. It was a 97 tercel, but it took some big hits with rocks and barely had a mark on it.

2018 Si FireFighter

First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, 2010 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh, ok. I wasn't thinking that they could actually put in an oem windshield for some reason. I'm not sure what they put in when I did use them. It was a 97 tercel, but it took some big hits with rocks and barely had a mark on it.
I had to request an OEM. Otherwise I would have gotten an aftermarket

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
FWIW - I had mine replaced by Safelite with aftermarket and I actually think it's better than the OEM glass in this case.

As for the paint, somewhere around 05-06 Honda started switching to a different way of painting cars that was more environmentally friendly. Since then the paint has seemed softer and more prone to chips and scratches.

davidpeab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Country flag
I have a chip, but what is really disturbing is the 2" crack I noticed at the base of the windshield while changing the wiper blades.

backdown

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 2018
Country flag
The windshields on the 10th gen civics are definitely weak. I had two civics (2018 & 2019)with cracked windshields now. I do a lot of highway driving but always avoid driving behind huge trucks. Owned many Honda’s and never had a crack on them!

There needs to be a recall for this crappy glass.

Mae22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
The windshields on the 10th gen civics are definitely weak. I had two civics (2018 & 2019)with cracked windshields now. I do a lot of highway driving but always avoid driving behind huge trucks. Owned many Honda’s and never had a crack on them!

There needs to be a recall for this crappy glass.
I could say this about my last 5 cars. Before my Civic was a 2014 BMW 428i, before that a 2013 Scion FR-S, before that a 2008 Scion xB, and before that a 2001 Toyota RAV4. I drive a lot of miles, and average about two windshield replacements per year regardless of the car. I've never found one to be "stronger" than any other...if a rock hits glass at the right angle, it will chip or crack.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
During the last several years I had the windshield crack in two rental cars, the last one a Nissan Pathfinder SUV.
I had a 2000 Mazda MPV minivan for 18 years and never had to replace the windshield. I never had to replace a windshield in any car I owned.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
My second civic, first one being a lemon, and no problems with this one other than a deformed third brake light cover they are replacing, but I'm getting tired of what seems like everyday, new chips in the windshield.
Seriously, I've had it since September and there are more than six chips in it ready.
The last civic, I had for a year and a half and I had one slight one, not even really noticeable.
The glass on this one definitely is of different quality than on my first one.
I’m sorry you got a Lemon man. No car manufacturer is perfect, but a lemon from Honda is a lot more rare than most. That being said, somebody has to get the short straw. From what ive heard and seen, buying a lemon is an absolute nightmare.

The dealerships fighting to buy it back, getting a lawyer, lost time and wages from time at the shop, etc.

Both 10th gen civics i’ve ive owned over the last 4 years have been very reliable to me so far. 60k miles on an LX and around 15k on my Si sofar.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd caution other owners about getting 3rd party glass if their Civic has honda sensing. I caught a rock on my windshield and cracked the glass to the point I needed it replaced. I initially shopped for aftermarket (PG glass?) which was considerably less expensive but the installer noticed the assembly on the glass for the front facing camera was off. I ended up just ordering the OEM Pilkington glass from a local dealer and it installed without any issue.

And just an observation about why our windshields seem to take a lot of chips... There's more crossovers, SUVs and trucks on the road more than ever. It's rare I ever see any of these vehicles with mudguards on their rear tires. We Civics sit lower than these cars and whenever they kick up debris, our windshields are lined up for a hit. Whereas if we drove say a CR-V (which I also have), my bumper and front grill seem to take these hits instead of the windshield which is higher up on the CR-V than the Civic.

TL;DR - lower cars like Civics are more susceptible to rock hits on windshield by higher riding SUVs and trucks. And if you need to replace your windshield, OEM will 99.9% install without issues over aftermarket.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m sorry you got a Lemon man. No car manufacturer is perfect, but a lemon from Honda is a lot more rare than most. That being said, somebody has to get the short straw. From what ive heard and seen, buying a lemon is an absolute nightmare.

The dealerships fighting to buy it back, getting a lawyer, lost time and wages from time at the shop, etc.

Both 10th gen civics i’ve ive owned over the last 4 years have been very reliable to me so far. 60k miles on an LX and around 15k on my Si sofar.
There was no lawyer involved, and i don't work so I had plenty of time and didn't have to worry about lost wages or anything thankfully. Once the arbitrator saw the video evidence I provided, he promptly told Honda I was getting a brand new car, there was nothing Honda could do. It ended up costing them over 30,000 to buy it back, but that's what they get for their lying and trying to be shady. That's what made it a nightmare. Like you said, lemons are inevitable, it's the way they handled the issue that was my problem, and when you pay for a new car, you shouldn't have to be treated like that.
Sponsored