First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Same people you see riding a dump truck's ass complaining about chipped windshields and paint...
Smdh
So now you know exactly how I drive???? Or how Gtman drives??? Obviously you don't, its comments like these that make me SMDH.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
^ I'm with you, Rick. You know what they say about assuming.

I drive as far behind dump trucks as possible. Matter of fact, I don't ride anybody's ass. I've owned a ton of cars and the paint on our cars is soft, plain and simple. So far, I've lucked out with my windshield but a lot of others haven't been so lucky. And to my knowledge they weren't riding dump truck asses either.;)

Neps18Si

First Name
P-Low
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan (sold), 2019 Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can say that I have noticed paint chips as well in the front bumper. I did not clear wrap cause it is a lease. If i decide to keep it then i would just pay for repairs on the battle scars from the 3 years of driving it...paint bumper, hood etc.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
.... I recognize the compromises that are made and honestly for ~25k for an si you have performance and quality that was unavailable at a price point 50-100% higher a few decades ago.
It's refreshing to read someone saying it like it is and backed by some relevant experience. :thumbsup:

Sometimes newer technology comes with some compromises. The laminated glass may be more vulnerable to small cracks especially in its cheaper versions, but it is supposed to be safer than older glass. Older glass could have been easier to keep clean and would resist better small projectiles. But it would take a mega blow to completely disintegrate a laminated windshield. This was demonstrated in those pictures of a civic hit with a flying sheet of plywood. The plywood cut a slit through the windshield and got stuck in it but didn't dislodge the windshield.

It is quite amazing how every detail in the car that may cost $2.15 vs. $3.50 is carefully picked to fit below a price point. Literally every cent counts and the windshield is quite an expensive part.

Seems like they may be made by different manufacturers for different trims? My side windows are AGC Automotive (Temperlite), (same as my older CR-V) but the rest (windshield, hatch, and moonroof) are Pilkington. Which is based in the UK but apparently wholly owned by the Japanese NSG.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ill say this , since someone mentioned wanting original glass, not safelite......
I never noticed this kind of stuff with my older cars OR WITH MY 2017 civic. This one is an 18, my previous car was a 1997 tercel,which a tree fell on and totally smashed the windshield. So it was replaced by safelite. Less than a week later , My wife was driving, and a HUGE piece of rock or concrete flew up and directly hit the brand new windshield. I was severely ticked but at the same time amazed that it did not break or crack as big and as hard as it hit us, and that it left a very small nick. So, yea, I would take a safelite replacement any day at this point.

Last edited:

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
So now you know exactly how I drive???? Or how Gtman drives??? Obviously you don't, its comments like these that make me SMDH.
Clearly it was a joke. The fact that you're now all defensive about it says you're either a) guilty of it or b) have no sense of humor.
If you notice I didn't single anyone out in the original comment. Was just a generalization cuz we all know someone like that.
Side note, I've had no issues with my windshield or the paint. Windshield manufacturing would seem to be pretty consistent I would think but as far as paint on the assembly line may not be.

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
Ill say this , since someone mentioned wanting original glass, not safelite......
I never noticed this kind of stuff with my older cars OR WITH MY 2017 civic. This one is an 18, my previous car was a 1997 travel,which a tree fell on and totally smashed the windshield. So it was replaced by safelite. Less than a week later , My wife was driving, and a HUGE piece of rock or concrete flew up and directly hit the brand new windshield. I was severely ticked but at the same time amazed that it did not break or crack as big and as hard as it hit us, and that it left a very small nick. So, yea, I would take a safelite replacement any day at this point.

Similar experience here, my factory windshield cracked before 3k miles when a rock or something hit it. My insurance covered it, I paid $50 out of pocket and had it replaced by Safelite. Just recently I had a rather large piece of something hit my windshield when I was on the interstate and I was sure it was broken again, I was relieved to see there was no damage.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So who are y'all wearing as factory windshields, Pilkington or someone else?

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Where do you find this info,I looked last night and all I saw,was some numbers and the Honda logo and it said solar glass etc.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unfortunately, Honda cheaped out in a lot of areas. For example, I'm fanatical about detailing my car and everyday I see a new paint chip. Never had a car's paint chip like this down to the primer. These cars are mechanically excellent but damn there were a lot of corners cut otherwise.
This is one of the main reasons my car has lived under plasti-dip it's entire life so far. The paint is extremely brittle.

As for the windshield issue, I noticed it too. Does any company make a "high quality" aftermarket windshield? Maybe something thicker? I've got a chip that's dead freaking center of my view. If it was a HUD targeting system, it would be the X of the crosshairs lol.

CDub_1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L Navi, 1995 Accord EX-L
Country flag
What's crazy is, my 1995 Accord, which I've had since 2010 and put 70,000 miles on, has absolutely NO chips on the windshield and it went through the same hailstorm my Civic did and my Civic windshield cracked badly and had to be replaced. Well I fought tooth and nail and make sure....for whatever reason....to put the OEM replacement windshield instead of aftermarket with my insurance company and they caved in and did it (I just HAD to have that Honda logo in the corner, since all my other windows had them lol). Well since then my windshield is LITTERED in chips, there must be like 20 of them. One of them, in my direct line of sight, is bad enough where it looks like a black dot and it is very annoying.

Did Honda just cheap out on the glass for these cars? Not to mention, my hood also has chips on the front. I suppose it's because I do a lot of highway driving but it's just ridiculous.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, so I've got dot103, which says sully North America, but it also says solar glass acoustic. Solar glass was a manufacture on that site you refered me to, but sully was listed under the dot # on my windshield.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found out my car is a funny mix, all came like this from the chinese factory:
Windshield WYP
Side windows: Fuyao
Back glass and sunroof:AGC automotive
:doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen Ok, getting tired of this.... 612496D4-B9FD-4024-99C2-424306E96888

Honda Civic 10th gen Ok, getting tired of this.... F0F94B86-E3EA-467A-8B54-0E321352906B

Honda Civic 10th gen Ok, getting tired of this.... 227D56A4-EC35-43C6-B284-9048D54CB5B3

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok, so I've got dot103, which says sully North America, but it also says solar glass acoustic. Solar glass was a manufacture on that site you refered me to, but sully was listed under the dot # on my windshield.
Hmm... I don't see there "Solar Glass" as a manufacturer... I see only "Solar Gard"... which is Saint-Gobain.
Sully apparently is also a part of the Saint-Gobain corporation.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/34722526/download-saint-gobain-sully

I found out my car is a funny mix, all came like this from the chinese factory:
Windshield WYP
Side windows: Fuyao
Back glass and sunroof:AGC automotive
:doh:
WYP = Wuhan Yaohua Safety Glass Co., Ltd (Based in Fuqing, :oops: China, but has plants in the US)

Anyway, I'm sure the civicx windshields are made by a bunch of various manufacturers.
Sponsored

Last edited: