Ok, getting tired of this....

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about the windshield. They have products you can use much like clear bra but it is illegal here. If there is dirt on the windshield the wipers would scratch it up. Then there is the sun glare which is terrible and why it is illegal. And of course it costs half of the money to replace the windshield and large rocks that chip would still cause damage. Had a nice discussion with the guy who put clear bra on my car.

So it sounds like the only option is replacing the windshield with OEM or finding something better? Does not make me feel any better. I do wish there was a better option or some protective measures we all could take here.
Sponsored

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
All these discussions I find funny, endless complaints about how they cheap out on paint or glass etc. every car is made to a price point! You bought a car at the low end of the price spectrum then complain about all the little things. Cars have gotten much better over the past few decades, the performance and quality available at the low end of the market is amazing, you want to believe you have better paint or glass then go ahead and pay double and buy a Mercedes, bmw, Lexus.....

Btw there is no magic on glass etc it’s basically luck on how often you get chips and after years the windshield will be sandblasted end need to be replaced regardless. If you live in a state where glass is covered no deductible you are in luck - just don’t expect to use it every 6 months.
Paul

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
All these discussions I find funny, endless complaints about how they cheap out on paint or glass etc. every car is made to a price point! You bought a car at the low end of the price spectrum then complain about all the little things. Cars have gotten much better over the past few decades, the performance and quality available at the low end of the market is amazing, you want to believe you have better paint or glass then go ahead and pay double and buy a Mercedes, bmw, Lexus.....

Btw there is no magic on glass etc it’s basically luck on how often you get chips and after years the windshield will be sandblasted end need to be replaced regardless. If you live in a state where glass is covered no deductible you are in luck - just don’t expect to use it every 6 months.
Paul
I had an 8th gen Civic which had about 80% highway miles on a particular highway and the windshield held up fine. My CivicX Touring also travels that same highway 80% of the time and I see the same chipping tendency the OP sees. This glass does feel like it chips easier. Who knows, it could just be that the angle of the windshield on this car makes it prone to chipping and the glass on the 8th and the 10th is just about the same quality.

As for paint, mine is 3M'd over the hood, bumper, roofline, side pillars, headlights, and I don't see a single chip anywhere. :D Glad I got this for a mega discount at the dealership as part of the deal. The paint everywhere else is flawless. Just one small dent and a chip on the door. My WOP paint is flawless otherwise.

On a side note, glass on my BMW which also goes down that same highway is immaculate.

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Paul
I've had much cheaper cars with way more durable paint and glass, so your post is kind of irrelevant.

Yal

New to the brand
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Water based paints tend to be softer and easier to chip. It’s an industry thing now. Wen I had a mid 2000s BMW the forums were back and forth on whether the paint was the softest in the world or the hardest. This is a low end car covered with water based paint and apparently has glass with no external protection film.

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe, 2017 CRV, 2002 Mercedes E320 wagon, 2001 E320 Wagon, 2002 E320 sedan, 1986 944T, 1972 land Rover
Country flag
Not irrelevant unless you think cars are not built to a price point. Engineering is about compromises! Few years back they could not figure out how to get the new paints to stick to some cars. EPA requirements affect paints, it may chip get a touch up pen or dr color and get used to it. It’s a civic not a work of art it’s meant to be driven/used.

On glass saftey glass is required laminate is in the middle of two panels of glass. Some manufactures glass may hold up better than other but guess what the car companies don’t make the glass, they buy it from one of the glass manufactures. Long gone are the days of Ford. Where raw materials came in one end and finished cars out the other.

Price pressure on all components is intense. Manufactures will switch vendors for pennies. It’s not till you get to 6 figure cars where component price becomes irrelivent they just pass it on. Not car related but an example - the motor protector in your refrigerator costs the manufacturer about $2 (a replacement if you need one can run you~40-50), a better one can be made that will cost about 25 cents more, none of the manufactures want it because of the cost - with the exception of sub-zero that is the equiv of the 6 figure car.

Paul

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Paul
That's all well and good but I spent $25,000 on a car that clearly has the worst/ softest paint of any car I've owned. I'm entitled to make that observation, right?

Basically saying, "you bought a cheap car so shut the fuck up with your complaints", is kind of holier than thou, don't ya think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's all well and good but I spent $25,000 on a car that clearly has the worst/ softest paint of any car I've owned. I'm entitled to make that observation, right?

Basically saying, "you bought a cheap car so shut the fuck up with your complaints", is kind of holier than thou, don't ya think?
Yes and I'll also add, that I don't care what price point your at, the windshield, for all kinds of safety concerns isn't an area where corners should be cut.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Yea, the lunar silver is,way more "delicate" for lack of a better word than the black was and the touch up paint doesn't match at all for it, but the chips on the windshield drive me nuts cause they are right in my line of sight,lol
That's why I didn't get white again lol

OP
OP
Rickmeister 48

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's why I didn't get white again lol
Don't get me wrong, overall I'm far happier with the silver, it looks good most of the time and doesn't set my OCD into a frenzy like the black did. I'd literally be out there with detail spray about three times a day, now with the silver , once a week pretty much does it.

PaulME

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not holier than thou and your entitled to make all the observations you want - just making the observation on what seems to be rampant complaints on what are minor details. Realize I bought one of these as well, I recognize the compromises that are made and honestly for ~25k for an si you have performance and quality that was unavailable at a price point 50-100% higher a few decades ago. I have had those cars as well appreciate them for what they are and we’re - still have a couple of them.

Now let’s drag out the old saw of saftey on the windshield - your windshield is perfectly safe, your self confessed ocd may not like little marks in it but it’s not going to break on you, and if it does it will hold together just like it’s designed. And btw on windshields, US law makes it so it has to stay in place, I believe it was SAAB tha had designed the windshield to come out of the car away from occupants in a sever crash, us law said nope can’t do that. Just like US law for years denied us good headlights that were common in Europe forcing crappy sealed beams on the US population.

I design stuff for a living I recognize the limitations a manufactur operates in. If they screw up let them have it but most of this stuff is noise - no matter how much you want to preserve your $25k car it’s close to the bottom of the market - and 25 is a Si or upmarket civic not the base and guess what - the paint on them all is the same, so the paint is designed for a sub $20 k car. And paint on any car gets dinged up if you drive it - go with what the guys who compete in concours do only buy cars that come in colors you can get a sharpie in, that way when you drive to the meet and a chip happens you can touch it up in the lot (been there done this).

Paul

Daniel776

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes and I'll also add, that I don't care what price point your at, the windshield, for all kinds of safety concerns isn't an area where corners should be cut.
I brought it up to the Honda tech guy regarding the paint and they gave me a free touch up pen, they said black doesn't hide scratches well :hmm:... I wanted to beat them with it ...

The windshield is trash lol I recently had to replace mine.

OzCop

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si coupe, 2020 SLT GMC Terrain, F450 MH
Country flag
Unfortunately, Honda cheaped out in a lot of areas. For example, I'm fanatical about detailing my car and everyday I see a new paint chip. Never had a car's paint chip like this down to the primer. These cars are mechanically excellent but damn there were a lot of corners cut otherwise.
I certainly hope the paint has a better bond than my 2017 Focus ST. I had it for only 20 months, but after the first month I found paint chips. I recently sold it, and had several places to touch up the race red paint, one the size of a quarter down on the lower front fascia. That may have been caused from trailer ramps as I autocrossed the car Nationally and hauled it relatively often. But still, I was very disappointed in how the paint held up on that car.

Civicster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T MT
Country flag
Nissan isn't any better. Had the worst paint issues with my 2016 Nissan Altima before I traded it in for my Civic. Honestly, my paint is holding up so far so good on my civic and I check often. My windshield got a small dime size crack after the 3rd hard hit with a small rock. Honestly, surprised the windshield held up the first 2 hits as they sounded super loud when they hit. It all depends on the angle in which it makes contact with the windshield. Luckily, was able to get local shop to seal it with resin and still holding up so far. It sucks having to replace entire windshield and then go and have another window tint "eye brow" installed on it. I'm gonna ride this windshield out as long as I can.

THATSi

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Country flag
Same people you see riding a dump truck's ass complaining about chipped windshields and paint...
Smdh
Sponsored