OIL --- Relocate Filter + Possible Oil Cooler ??

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Looking for some advice, probably from the Track Guys, about oil filter relocation and possible oil cooler.

I am adding a combined Oil Pressure + Oil Temperature gauge to my 2018 Si ( lets just say because I want to, and leave it at that please).

Since I am having difficulty finding an Oil Filter Sandwich that will fit the confined spaces of the SI's OIl Filter location, plus the fact I need 2 sensors in that Sandwich (Pressure & Temperature), and it needs to fit ... I am now considering relocating the oil Filter. This will allow for easy installation and room for the two sensors. ( plus a little more oil capacity).

Then it occurred to me, why not go the whole way, and incorporate an Oil Cooler.

While I do not race the SI at a track, I can see a number of advantages of adding an oil cooler.

(1) Oil does not get so hot... better for oil = better for engine & better for turbo.
(2) Greater oil capacity...

All positive advantages, until you get to consider Oil Dilution :(
Cooler oil = less diluted gas is driven off, but bigger oil capacity = less total dilution for a given period.

So also considering a system where I can block off airflow through the oil cooler, (and to a certain extent the radiator behind the cooler) for cold weather.

As far as overall Oil Dilution is concerned, I am willing to just accept it as a given with the Honda DI 1.5L Turbo, and change the oil more frequently - I see no major overall gain in pushing oil changes to 10,000 Miles, especially if I am doing my own oil changes, at any less than 10, 000 mile or Honda Oil Usage level I choose.

So looking for and positive advise, as to what to be looking for if I do this, Thanks.

BTW: I am not looking for negative, uninformative replies telling me "You don't want to do that",
I do want to do it .. I am going to do it ..
just looking for advice on the best way to do it, and what to be watching out for in terms of any possible issues.

Warranty is not going to be an issue as far as I am concerned, or as far as any Honda Dealer is going to know... I can always remove it if needed. :)
Sponsored

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Greddy sells an oil cooler kit. They use their standard sandwich adapter, with a spacer included. I do not know if you can buy the spacer outside of the kit.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Greddy sells an oil cooler kit. They use their standard sandwich adapter, with a spacer included. I do not know if you can buy the spacer outside of the kit.
Thanks, I have looked at their Oil Cooler Kit, and kits by a few others as well.

They do vary enormously in price .. and it is not clear why, apart from the manufacturer's name.

I might even get the oil cooler kit, and for the time being, not fit the cooler, just a bypass hose.

Hoping to find a few owners on here who have fitted different Oil Cooler Kits, and get their feedback.

While I appreciate that a full blown Oil Cooler Kit is not inexpensive, as I will fit it myself, there will be no labor costs, which would probably exceed the material cost, with current Auto Shop rates.
Even if the labor was FREE, I would still choose to install it myself -- then I know for sure it has been done 100% correctly, and with care. I will also then know how to remove it, should that need arise.
Sponsored