First Name
Geoffy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Hona Civic RS
Country flag
Hi,

I'm from Australia and wondering if anyone else has experienced the issues I've got with my lemon?

So first issue I noticed, when I got the car, obviously I didn't pay too much attention to the OLI (oil life indicator). But when my car hit 5,600 kms the warning message came up that I needed to service my car. I was a bit shocked as it's much earlier than the recommended 10,000 kms or 12 months. I've only had the car for 5 months or so and only drive to and from work mostly which is 40 kms a day * 5 so 200 kms + weekend going out probably 350 kms max a week. So when I brought it into the dealership to get it checked they said it was up for the 10k service. So I got it done. Now from then onwards I paid much more attention to the OLI, after the service it reset back to 10,000 kms before next service on the OLI and then after a few weeks I realised it's either not reading the level right or my car is burning through the oil much quicker than it should. When I had done 3000 kms on road after the service, my OLI said I only had 5000 kms left before next service. So if this continues on I will be doing my 20k service when the actual kms on my car is around 10k. WTH??? Anyone experience this issue or can give me and idea of what I'm doing wrong? I've called up Honda service where I got my car, they said it's the first they've heard of this so I am so purplexed on what I can do.

Second issue... When I first got my car, on a full tank I can go up to 600kms before needing to refuel. Now I can only get around 450 kms on a full tank. What kind of lemon do I have? I'm running on 98 premium fuel.

Any idea about either problems I'm having will be helpful. I plan to address this at my next service which isn't for another few months as I can't afford to be without a car to use whilst they do their inspection on it. Because I don't think this is a on the spot thing they can fix, they will need to have for an extended period of time to justify my observations and stuff so yeah.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think you have a lemon at all. The maintenance minder (MM) is programmed to an algorithm that factors in miles, speed, fuel consumed, how you drive, engine temps, and tons of other things we haven't figured out yet. The general consensus is: if you drive in the city a lot, your MM says oil life is much lower than if you drive all expressway.

I'm actually on the other side of the coin. My MM says I have 40% oil life and I have 8,000 miles on this oil change currently. I had an oil analysis done on my factory oil with 10,000 miles on it. I would not run the factory Honda oil to 10,000 miles based on the oil analysis. We have a few threads about this created already. I'm currently running a full synthetic (AMSOIL SS 0w/20) and I'm going to have another analysis done.

If you're heavy footed while driving, evidence is showing that that causes your MM to recommend service at sooner intervals.

HondaDNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Hx, 17 Sport
Country flag
The maint minder doesn't count down distance, it's a percentage of "life". Now 5600kms is only 3500 miles and shouldn't of set the reminder.
Sponsored