Oil life = 50% but the Maintenance minder says A1 below that

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
I could have sworn that the "A1" just showed up recently. Per the manual that means oil change and tire rotation. But my oil life is at 50%. The car is sitting at 7 months and 5000 miles (leased brand new). Do I take it in for the oil change or wait for 10-20% on the oil life?
Sponsored

wytwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White SI Coupe
Country flag
From the OP's post it sounds like A1 is the service that has to be performed once the Oil life is about 15% or less.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could have sworn that the "A1" just showed up recently. Per the manual that means oil change and tire rotation. But my oil life is at 50%. The car is sitting at 7 months and 5000 miles (leased brand new). Do I take it in for the oil change or wait for 10-20% on the oil life?
There was a discussion awhile back on this similar topic, IIRC, the A1 indicator pops up at a certain point and will remain there until it gets to about 15% and then you’ll get another message that says “service due soon”. At 10%, it’ll say “service now”.

When new, the cars have a break-in oil from the factory and the consensus has been to keep it until you get down to about 15%. I did this on my ‘16 EX-T and had no issues. I now have a ‘19 EX hatch and will do the same.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Yeah it just seems odd to have it tell me the maintenance is needed at 50% . I get its preprogrammed but still..

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil life = 50% but the Maintenance minder says A1 below that 0rU4zKd

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah it just seems odd to have it tell me the maintenance is needed at 50% . I get its preprogrammed but still..

0rU4zKd.jpg
Yeah, it's merely a reminder like a head's up. It's not saying you have to service the car at 50%. I mean, you could if you wanted but that's your choice.

Off topic but does the red light bar atop the speedo change colors while you're driving kinda like on the other Civics when the color changes from green to white depending on how you're driving?

wytwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White SI Coupe
Country flag
Yeah, it's merely a reminder like a head's up. It's not saying you have to service the car at 50%. I mean, you could if you wanted but that's your choice.

Off topic but does the red light bar atop the speedo change colors while you're driving kinda like on the other Civics when the color changes from green to white depending on how you're driving?
No the red light bars light up in sport mode and they will flicker when you near the read line.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Does it make a chim sound every time you turn on your car? If not, you can ignore it.

OP
OP

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
Nope, no chimes are made, just noticed that the oil is at 50% and its telling me I need an oil change and tire rotation. I have no plans for an oil change unless the oil is low or its telling me I have 20-30% left of oil life. Its a lease but I also take care of every car Ive had. I got this one back in September and I am surprised I made it this long with it not needing an oil change TBH.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I think your dash is showing the maintenance/oil life screen and not the actually oil change message. You can press the button on the steering wheel and change it to something else.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I think your dash is showing the maintenance/oil life screen and not the actually oil change message. You can press the button on the steering wheel and change it to something else.
This. It is telling you that you have 50% oil life left and when it's time you will need A1. It is not telling you A1 is needed now. As this poster suggested, just change the display to show something else and ignore it until it pops up with the chime.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
if thats the case, then why didn't it show the "A1" right from the beginning?

why did the "A1" suddenly pop up when i hit around 4-5,000 miles?

that makes no sense at all
Makes perfect sense.

The basic thing to know about the Maintenance Minder, is that it displays items which are due for maintenance SOON, not immediately. You are supposed to take care of the items displayed when the oil life is 15% or less, not necessarily when something pops up. There is no need to do any maintenance service between oil changes, only with oil changes. But if you are eager to rotate your tires, you can do it at any time.

The items may pop up at any time, but that doesn't mean you need to run to the dealer as soon as they appear. It is not necessary or possible to tell if you will need to rotate tires at the next oil change before the system can estimate in how many miles the next oil change will be.
Sponsored