Oil dilution update sport mode performance

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I recently had the update done for the oil dilution problem and i would like to know if i am the only one that find the persformance in sport mode now sucks. I feel the car pulls more in regular than in sport. I also tried timing the 0-60 with an app on my phone and i'm always a second quicker in regular.

Your opinions!

Fyi I'm in Canada so not sure sure if the ecu update is different.
Sponsored

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I f you have not made any changes to your ECU like Hondata or others...I dont see why you would be slower
in sport mode than in regular mode.
In principe, it is the same map for both modes as far as the engine is concerned.
The difference is in the direction, suspension and sensibility of the accelerator.
For my part, I refused the Honda update because I didn't want them to modify the Hondata and the dynotuning made at RD turbo.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I f you have not made any changes to your ECU like Hondata or others...I dont see why you would be slower
In principe, it is the same map for both modes as far as the engine is concerned.
The difference is in the direction, suspension and sensibility of the accelerator.
For my part, I refused the Honda update because I didn't want them to modify the Hondata and the dynotuning made at RD turbo.
Actually this is what Two Step Performance told me regarding the oil dilution update as well as any updates the Honda performs: You would flash back to stock, Honda does their ECU updates, then you flash back again, and this will not affect the Honda updates in anyway. My understanding per the email from TSP is that the Honda updates are stored on an area of the ECU that is not changed when you flash from Ktuner or Hondata. I have attached the email from TSP support

***EDIT***

Never mind, I see you were Dyno Tuned. It is harder in this case to flash back to stock and than get re-tuned again!

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil dilution update sport mode performance TSP response.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keropi76

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
My

car is stock, i have not modified it so far trying to hold off on buying a ktuner. I usually get bored of my cars after two years and change them. This one i'd like to keep so i'll tune ir when i'll get bored with it :D;):drive:

Civicsihfp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si coupe HFP
Country flag
I recently had the update done for the oil dilution problem and i would like to know if i am the only one that find the persformance in sport mode now sucks. I feel the car pulls more in regular than in sport. I also tried timing the 0-60 with an app on my phone and i'm always a second quicker in regular.

Your opinions!

I did the update as well and I noticed the car pulls better in normal mode, thought I was the only one who noticed that. I’m in Canada as well

nubpie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's all placebo. The update literally does nothing other than help the car reach operating temp quicker than before.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve always thought the turbo comes in earlier and is more linear in sport mode. Whereas it comes on much more suddenly when not in sport. Anyway, I agree with nubpie and think you just may be paying attention to things you didn’t before.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag

Your opinions!

That is correct. The misconception that others are having is differentiating between the Non-Si and the Si. Si has “Sport Mode” / Non-Si does not. The “S” in the selector simply increases the RPM and activates more Torque Converter. So, you will not stress the system on inclines and have better engine braking when on a decline.
Although the engine may grunt more and feels somewhat awakened, it is still not Sport like the Si models are.

OP
OP
Keropi76

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
That is correct. The misconception that others are having is differentiating between the Non-Si and the Si. Si has “Sport Mode” / Non-Si does not. The “S” in the selector simply increases the RPM and activates more Torque Converter. So, you will not stress the system on inclines and have better engine braking when on a decline.
Although the engine may grunt more and feels somewhat awakened, it is still not Sport like the Si models are.
Sorry for not mentionning it but I do drive a 2018 SI

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag

Your opinions!

I haven't noticed any difference but I flashed back to tsp stage 1 while I was still sitting at the dealership.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
To speed up the warm up process is good, right? Why Honda did not include this software update when they deliver the cars?

I ask because usually you gain something but you would loose something else. I am wondering if this update has any adverse effect to the car.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
To speed up the warm up process is good, right? Why Honda did not include this software update when they deliver the cars?

I ask because usually you gain something but you would loose something else. I am wondering if this update has any adverse effect to the car.
No, it literally just warms up faster, as mentioned. There's nothing to lose. Tbh, I didn't even notice it warm up faster but I did have the update done.

OP
OP
Keropi76

Keropi76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag

Your opinions!

So i have decided that a ktuner will cure my feeling of "unsportiness" in sport mode

Ordered it on two step performance website with the stage 1. Now keeping in mind that the car is only 6 months old I was thinking of just running ktuner dual base map and 19.5 in sport mode.

Any suggestions on the changes i should make (revhang delete, BOG, etc) in day to day driving i find the car fun to drive but i woild not mind a little more sharpness but in sport mode i want to feel a difference but don't want to go overboard yet as i am keeping for when i'll feel like changing it (i usually change every cars every 2 to 3 years cause i get bored with them )
Sponsored