Oil Dilution TSB

iced_devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FC1 L15BB
Country flag
Wonder if using 5W30 is just dealer's preference or instructions from Honda.
Do you know anything on that?
I do know that in Poland Dealers have long term contract with Shell, so economy basically.... but the service manager told me that 0W20 is not a good idea in his opinion....

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
I do know that in Poland Dealers have long term contract with Shell, so economy basically.... but the service manager told me that 0W20 is not a good idea in his opinion....
More encouragement to try a 0w-30 or 5w-30 that's on the lower tolerances for viscosity.
Thank you.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update:
2000km after the oil dilution recall, for the first time since i drive it, the level is lower than after the service. It actually is now 3/4 to the max, smells a little bit but not as strong as before.
I will keep an eye to check if it moves or not in the next 3000 km before the next oil change. Ok, it is still hot summer here and I never really had serious issues because weather is always warm where I live but it seems the modifications worked pretty good. I only hope I will not have to add oil ....

Last edited:

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Update:
2000km after the oil dilution recall, for the first time since i drive it, the level is lower than after the service. It actually is now 3/4 to the max, smells a little bit but not as strong as before.
I will keep an eye to check if it moves or not in the next 3000 km before the next oil change. Ok, it is still hot summer here and I never really had serious issues because weather is always warm where I live but it seems the modifications worked pretty good. I only hope I will not have to add oil ....
Do you feel that the level of performance (power) have been affected by the recall?

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update:
Keep an eye on the oil level. Hope is not burning oil now.
It is normal for Hondas to burn oil but usually in high revving engines.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
So what is the update excatly? I presume software?

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So what is the update excatly? I presume software?
-free replacement of air-conditioning control unit
-upgrade FI-ECU software
-replace the radiator lower water pipe assembly on the transmission CVT gearbox models
-upgrade the TCU software, to curb the oil level, eliminate security risks.

Also replacement of engine oil and oil filters, and the addition of engine cleaners.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Oils are full of detergents these days. Nobody is designing cars to use gasoline to clean things.
Also replacement of engine oil and oil filters, and the addition of engine cleaners.
Hmm...

So now that your engine doesn't get fuel in the oil, you need to have additional cleaners added to the oil?

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmm...

So now that your engine doesn't get fuel in the oil, you need to have additional cleaners added to the oil?
Honda is quite adamant against that. Any decent oil should suffice.

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda in china requires to add their oil additive at each service. I skipped a few times to save the 20$ they want for that small bottle:crazy:

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Wow thats a fair number of parts to replace I thought it would just be a software upgrade. I have contcated Honda UK regarding dilution and yet to hear anything despite me calling them several times for an answer to my orginal email lets hope we all get a resolution wherever we are?

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
Same 1.5 L engine as a forum member write;

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/10/05/cars/consumer-reports-honda-cr-v-engine-trouble/index.html

In some CR-Vs, gasoline can leak into the SUV's engine oil. That can eventually cause the engine to lose power or stall completely. Several Consumer Reports subscribers reported the issue which has also been the subject of of dozens of complaints to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, according to the magazine. Many more owners have complained of the problem in online forums, Consumer Reports said.

OP
OP

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
-free replacement of air-conditioning control unit
-upgrade FI-ECU software
-replace the radiator lower water pipe assembly on the transmission CVT gearbox models
-upgrade the TCU software, to curb the oil level, eliminate security risks.

Wonder if anything is replaced for manual transmission cars, besides the reflash.
Sponsored