Oil Dilution - Education - 5 good YouTube Videos

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
With all this talk and concern about "Oil Dilution", I spent the evening researching some of the best YouTube Videos on the subject, and narrow it down to these 5.

Some are highly technical, some are more entertaining, but after watching these 5 videos, you may well have a better understanding of "Oil Dilution" in general, and how it effect the newer Honda Civics in particular.

No particular order, but the 1st one is the most Technical in explaining exactly what Oil Dilution is, what causes it, it's effects, and how to minimize those effects.

I have NOT included any of the more "amateur" videos, of some car owner, sitting in their car, talking about what they think oil dilution is, on the fly. Cool that these guys make their Videos, but too much of them just leads to confusion, with little trust that what they are saying, is accurate or really of any use.

Anyway, here they are :-

(1)
Technical -- well produced, instructional Video
If you only watch one - This is the one to watch

(2)

(3)
Entertaining : Tells it like it is-- does not pull any punches. "Good on you sport"

(4)

(5)

Not all are specifically about HONDA Civics, but that shows that OD is not just a Honda Civic Issue.

Videos are NUMBERED 1,2,3,4 & 5 - should make it easier if you are commenting and want to refer to something in one particular video.

-----
One thing I am now considering, after watching Video #1
Using "RED LINE HIGH PERFORMANCE oil" and not the contracted bulk oil that the Honda Dealer is going to put into my car (if I ever allowed him to )!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Watchman999

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic LX, 2011 Odyssey EX, 2019 Civic EX
Country flag
outside of the oil dilution issue is the matter of GDI engines in general. Unless you can find a way to "wash" the back of the inlet valves with fuel spray (either through adding a port injector or creating some valve/injector overlap) you need to do some additional maintenance. At this point I'm happy to have a port injected 2.0L that can achieve very decent mileage.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great collection, I've seen 3 of those 5 videos already haha.

The advice I give most people that have concern with this is just change your oil according to the MM. If you have more concern past that, then switch to a premium full synthetic. All of our oil analysis reports show normal wear metals in all samples collected when changed at or before MM. Also, the full synthetic oils show higher viscosity in the reports than the OEM Honda stuff the dealership is giving people.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Great collection, I've seen 3 of those 5 videos already haha.

The advice I give most people that have concern with this is just change your oil according to the MM. If you have more concern past that, then switch to a premium full synthetic. All of our oil analysis reports show normal wear metals in all samples collected when changed at or before MM. Also, the full synthetic oils show higher viscosity in the reports than the OEM Honda stuff the dealership is giving people.
Agreed... the Honda "Bulk Oil" is somewhat of an unknown quantity.

I know there are hundreds of post with users stating what they think is the best oil.

For what it is worth, I am seriously considering "Red Line High Performance"

Not the least expensive, but anything that can delay a $1000 Valve cleaning job, is worth a few extra dollars a year on the cost of the oil.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great informaiton. 1 & 3 are my favorites.
Yes, I agree .

If you like #3, AutoExpert.com.au has some other ones of different subjects about cars, that are just as "entertaining" in a "Down under" way :)
Sponsored