Oil Coolers - Oil Temperature - Oil Pressure

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Oil Coolers - Oil Temperature - Oil Pressure.

(1) It would seem that Key to keeping oil dilution low is to get the oil up to temperature for an extended amount of time.

(2) We know that for a given oil, as temperature changes, so does oil pressure, dropping as the oil gets hot.

(3) If you are going to race the car, or drive it hard for extended periods, you will probably need an Oil cooler.

(4) If you are not racing, and only taking short trips in a cold climate, the last thing you want is an Oil cooler, because you want to get the oil hot as soon as possible.

So, in order to see what is going on, I would have thought that one really needed both an Oil Pressure Gauge, and an Oil Temperature gauge (like older car used to have as almost standard instruments).

But our Honda Civics have neither !!! Only at the best maybe Pressure & Temperature switches, but even if we have those already on the car, there is no indications to the driver, unless maybe there is a warning alarm.

So, has anyone fitted Oil Temp & Pressure instrumentation to the Civics. Either Mechanical gauges, or some sort of Bluetooth sensor that can be monitored on a Smartphone.

While not everyone want to mount additional Gauges (unless maybe you are racing- in which case its hard to believe you can race without them). some sort of BlueTooth Sensor would seem to be an ideal solution for the non-racing driver.
Do such things exist ? If not, why not ??

It is my understanding that neither quantitative Oil Temperature or Oil Pressure are even available on the Civic's OBD2 port ?? (or am I mistaken here ? )

I found a Digital Gauge, but nothing Bluetooth that would work with a smartphone.
https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXD.php

Is there anywhere on the Civic Si to even attache the two sensors ??
Sponsored

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
" It is my understanding that neither quantitative Oil Temperature or Oil Pressure are even available on the Civic's OBD2 port ?? (or am I mistaken here ? ) ".

IMO 'cause nobody need that.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
" It is my understanding that neither quantitative Oil Temperature or Oil Pressure are even available on the Civic's OBD2 port ?? (or am I mistaken here ? ) ".

IMO 'cause nobody need that.
Well, I am not "nobody", and I need it. So do, I suspect many who race or drive their cars hard. Otherwise they would not be a so many manufacturers developing and selling such systems to the car market.

Maybe YOU don't need it, just like you don't appear to need a TMPS in your country, but that does not mean to say that the rest of the world might not want these features.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are right you may need it but Honda built car for all the people not only for you.

We must not confuse our needs and our desires which seems more and more difficult in our time

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are right you may need it but Honda built car for all the people not only for you.

We must not confuse our needs and our desires which seems more and more difficult in our time
:topic:

Has anyone reading this forum fitted Oil Pressure or Oil Temperature instrumentation, and if so, any feedback ?

Arcam

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
:topic:

Has anyone reading this forum fitted Oil Pressure or Oil Temperature instrumentation, and if so, any feedback ?
I would be very interested in this answer as well, I think it was a glaring omission by Honda not to include at least an oil temperature display and I find it hard to believe there is not a sensor buried someplace.

I am doing 8+ track days this year and I am currently working with a major AP distributor on larger front 2 piece floating discs and 2 piece grooved rears, anyone who tracked their cars really must have the oil temp and preferable pressure information to hand, I can't believe that in R+ mode the head unit does not change over to a Nissan GT-R style display.

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would be very interested in this answer as well, I think it was a glaring omission by Honda not to include at least an oil temperature display and I find it hard to believe there is not a sensor buried someplace.

I am doing 8+ track days this year and I am currently working with a major AP distributor on larger front 2 piece floating discs and 2 piece grooved rears, anyone who tracked their cars really must have the oil temp and preferable pressure information to hand, I can't believe that in R+ mode the head unit does not change over to a Nissan GT-R style display.
Agreed.

My Understanding is that the only OIL parameter measurement on the 10th Gen Civics, is an oil pressure "Switch", but this is mounted high up on the engine, above the sump oil level, so I am assuming at engine start, the sensor is monitoring AIR & not OIL until oil starts to pump around the system... so maybe not the best place of an oil sensor.

Or maybe that should not be a concern .. open to recommendations.

I was originally thinking of placing my add-on Oil temp & pressure sensors on a 3 way splitter, along with the original oil pressure switch is, but am now looking at placing the 2 additional sensors on an Oil Filter Sandwich, so they are always in contact with the oil.

The Oil Filter sandwich solution is tricky, as there is not much room, and it can get disturbed when the oil filter is changed, but has the advantage of being easily accessible from under the car.

The 3 way on the existing Oil Pressure switch port is very difficult to get to...needs some disassembly to get to it, but once installed, should not need to be accessed again unless a sensor fails (or leaks).

So I am still undecided where to place the two additional sensors.

Again, open to suggestions, especially from any track racers, who may have already fitted additional oil monitoring.

In no great rush .. to cold to be messing about doing car projects in the snow !!!

OP
OP
SCOPESYS

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
following
It seems the only existing place to measure Oil Pressure is the Oil Pressure switch port, as confirmed by the Honda Service Website .. if a tech wants to measure the Oil pressure, they remove the pressure switch, and plug their oil pressure gauge into that port.

Only problem is, to get to the port, Honda recommends that it is accessed via the right wheel well, by removing the wheel, and the wheel well , plus moving part of the A/C compressor assembly, to gain access. What a PITA!

MikeyHimself

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It seems the only existing place to measure Oil Pressure is the Oil Pressure switch port, as confirmed by the Honda Service Website .. if a tech wants to measure the Oil pressure, they remove the pressure switch, and plug their oil pressure gauge into that port.

Only problem is, to get to the port, Honda recommends that it is accessed via the right wheel well, by removing the wheel, and the wheel well , plus moving part of the A/C compressor assembly, to gain access. What a PITA!
That is where the Honda port is. 90% of things like this I have found are just to make dealerships crank up the labor charges.

That said, there are tons of places to tap or add your own fittings to these cars. Did you end up finding a solution that worked for you?

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
easy peasy
glowshift sandwich plate
45 or 90 drgree sensor adapter
glowshift 2 in 1 psi/temp gauge
bam, both sensors as well as 2 extra ports for whatever.
or i am pretty sure it can be ran were the oem one is with an adapter. they also make sensor isolation kits if you dont want to use the angled adapter. i believe its the pressure gauge that is too big. it hits the ac compressor.(hence why i had to not install it last oil change)
i got the gauges thinking they would help or be useful. but upon havig the car and learning a bit more... if that psi is dropping like id be using the gauge for. i am probably already screwed

Tyler.iguess

Banned
Banned
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si coupe
Build Thread
Link
Country flag