Oil changes, tire balance and rotation, ect?

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Can someone please save me the time of hunting through the manual and online to figure out when I should be getting oil changes and at what mile intervals I should balance and/or rotate the tires so they get an even wear?

Please add any other maintenance schedule suggestions I may not have mentioned. I am sure this will be helpful for other newbies as well.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Can someone please save me the time of hunting through the manual and online to figure out when I should be getting oil changes and at what mile intervals I should balance and/or rotate the tires so they get an even wear?

Please add any other maintenance schedule suggestions I may not have mentioned. I am sure this will be helpful for other newbies as well.

Thanks in advance.
Honda has a "minder" system that will chime you when it's time for services. The oil change is computed by the computer based on how hard you drive the car and in what conditions (engine temperature would be a major factor). With this it computes and regularly updates an "oil life" value. This value can be seen in Settings > Vehicle > Maintenance information. It will also show any recommended (note note required) maintenance information in this display. The stock tires on the Type R are expected to last about 10k miles, I'm not sure if there are any official rotation intervals for them (5k?).

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
Personally, I’ve never really trusted the maintenance minder. Just a personal feeling, since I tend to not trust computers for certain things :D. Can’t go wrong with every 5,000 miles or 5(?) months. I think the manual says even longer, but I’ll let someone else comment on that since I don’t have it in front of me.

Edit: sorry just realized this was type-r specific, so I’m not sure if my comment still 100% applies.

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I follow the maintenance minder for oil, filter and fluid changes. It measures life dynamically based on usage. Seems fine.

Rotation is going to depend on how hard you drive the car. If you're hooning and your front tires wear quick, you're going to want to rotate sooner than someone cruising on the highway all the time.

You balance if you have a vibration. If you don't, no need to touch it until you get new tires or wheels. Same with alignment, although for that it's if it pulls or if you start seeing uneven wear on your tires.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
I've been rotating tires at about 1500 mile intervals. Looks like I'll get about 12-15k miles out of them. I don't track the car but I do enjoy some relatively twisty roads when I get the chance.

OP
OP

ElmoHongZito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for your responses. Rightt now it says 60% oil life. At what percentage is it time do pull the trigger and get it changed? When it gets under 10%?

Also how do I know when its time to change the tires? I don’t think they show much tread even when new since they are so slick.

VTECMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 570s
Country flag
Got less than 4000 miles out of my fronts, no trackdays just roads, so more frequent than you may think. It was good excuse to replace with PS4S.

todda

2018 Aegean blue CTR 14103
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean blue Type R; 2011 Subaru WRX limited; 2003 Acura RSX-S were previous vehicles
Country flag
I have found that my tires lose about 4-5 PSI of pressure per 30 days of driving, and I drive no more than 700 miles per month, in San Diego, CA. I had them rotated at discount tire free of charge a few months ago and will do the same soon. I want to prolong the life of the tires as long as I can.

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
My type r has a sticker saying 6 months or 15%.

forrestbb

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RR CTR, Civic SI-2008 sedan
Country flag
Thanks for your responses. Rightt now it says 60% oil life. At what percentage is it time do pull the trigger and get it changed? When it gets under 10%?

Also how do I know when its time to change the tires? I don’t think they show much tread even when new since they are so slick.
Yeh once you get under 5% get ready to change oil soon. Just try not yo go negative.
As for tire tread, look for worn or low spots with less tread.
At America's Tire(aka Discount) they have penny rule; if its less than Lincoln's head, roughly 1/64th, its time to start looking for replacements. They recommend rotating as it seems almost every year if not twice a yr for my new (4th -Pirelli's) set on my '08 SI.
Hope this helps.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
This thread has me worried. I have had my all seasons for about 10K miles; haven't rotated them once. Time to rotate?
Sponsored