Oil change at honda dealership?

fre3way

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T
Country flag
I'm due for an oil change on my civic ex-t. I was looking at prices online and Honda Dealership is offering 0W20 extra oil change with filter for 34.99 + tax. Is this any different from the 19.99 special at firestone for regular conventional oil change? Is it necessary to get a tire rotation at 5k miles; if not, when should I get it done?
Sponsored

Eric29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
I paid $34.99. I just paid once and change the oil myself now.

I rotate the tires at every other oil change.

Probably no different than firestone for an oil change. I had the oil changed on an older Honda I owned some years ago, and then changed the oil myself the next time. I saw that the Honda dealer didn’t even use a Honda oil filter. That’s unusual, but it happens.

I'm due for an oil change on my civic ex-t. I was looking at prices online and Honda Dealership is offering 0W20 extra oil change with filter for 34.99 + tax. Is this any different from the 19.99 special at firestone for regular conventional oil change? Is it necessary to get a tire rotation at 5k miles; if not, when should I get it done?

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...the [not so] simple answer is, as necessary so that all 4 tires are worn out at approximately the same time (down to 2/32nds) at the same time so you can replace them as a set.

Annually/ever other oil change/when you're getting an alignment (assuming it's about once a year or sooner) ends up pretty much being around the same time and works well. If you aren't a fan of doing itself, my recommendation is as part of an annual/semi-annual alignment check/adjustment. I do most my own maintenance, and will do my own rotations but if I'm feeling lazy, I'll let a tire shop do mine when I'm getting an alignment.

The MM does have as part of it's codes when it recommends a tire rotation. So far as warranty is concerned, I don't see any basis Honda can deny warranty on anything powertrain related on deciding to not follow this periodicity... so the choice when to do it is up to you.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
I pay the dealer $20 to have it changed there with my own brand of oil and an A01 filter. I prefer this method for a couple reasons:
  • I get to keep a running relationship with the service manager in case any warranty concerns come up.
  • They do a top-down inspection and, although done by entry level techs, follows a factory regimen. And it's helped to catch a couple small hiccups on previous cars that were overlooked by me.

I pretty much do all the other bits from brakes to hoses. But being that cheap, I prefer to let the dealer do the dirty work which saves me a lot of time and hassle (particularly with disposal). My job allows me to work anywhere, so I'm often on the laptop plugging away while the car is being worked.

I've heard horror stories from some dealers with inadequately trained techs. So be sure to do some research in advance. GL.

WokeNotaSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
WokeDude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic
Two schools of thoughts. 1. Use Honda oil cause that is what your car came with and using the same formulation is key to break-in and I am a believer that you break-in a car with the same oil from 0 miles to about 20-25k miles. 2. Get elite OEM oil on clearance at AAP, which is what I did, and I scored and netted 38 quarts of Idemitsu oil which is the OEM supplier for Honda oil in Canada and used to be in murrica just prior to 66. It is still the OEM oil for Mazda, Subaru, Nissan among others.

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I trust Honda more to use the appropriate oil, appropriate filter, get everything back on with the correct torque, put all the clips back in, etc. Because all they see is Honda's day in and day out.

The local discount $19.95 special? All the oil comes out of the same hose and they never change the settings. The place down my me literally has 1 giant tank that the hose is connected to. Fancy BMW that needs 0w-40? 5w-30! Honda that needs 0w-20? 5w-30! Ferrari needs 10w-50? 5w-30!

trentcofax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I trust Honda more to use the appropriate oil, appropriate filter, get everything back on with the correct torque, put all the clips back in, etc. Because all they see is Honda's day in and day out.

The local discount $19.95 special? All the oil comes out of the same hose and they never change the settings. The place down my me literally has 1 giant tank that the hose is connected to. Fancy BMW that needs 0w-40? 5w-30! Honda that needs 0w-20? 5w-30! Ferrari needs 10w-50? 5w-30!
So, I just got back from taking my '17 Si to the dealership this morning after they overfilled the oil (4 quarts vs. the 3.7 quarts under specs) during the oil change last Friday. I also did some damage to the undercover and had them replace it...they sheared off a bolt in the process and had to drill and retap it. Dealership or not, it is the tech doing the job that makes the difference.

The dealership took care of me in the end, but I am stepping up my supervision game in the future.

Too true on the discount places...

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I try not to go to dealership for things that I can do . They'll try to joyride your car . I even fixed the A pillar rattle on my own. 5w30 extended performance with HKS filter .

peterpedro08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 Ex-T
Country flag
I always go to the dealer to change my oil because I dont know much about cars. But yesterday I tried to do my oil change by myself because I find it easy (by researching), and I was shock that I found this under my engine, (it is covered with oil, I think there was leak on my engine, and the washer that they used on my drain bolt is not the one that should be use, it was too small for the bolt. So I was thinking that the leak was coming from there.) I will never go to the dealer again to change my oil.​

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change at honda dealership? 29633421_1932245786799973_1081079759_o

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil change at honda dealership? 29341427_1932245720133313_404985180_n

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Did your oil level actually go down? Could that just be residue?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I wouldn't assume that was an oil leak. Could have been residue like the previous poster said. It can get a little messy under there when you drain oil from the pan and filter. Did you notice any oil under your car when you parked?

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It only took them over filling it twice and screwing up and bending the under shield once for me to decide that ill do it myself and never take it to the dealer again,that being said,I'm finding out that this particular dealer is a piece of shit all around and that they all aren't that bad.
Still,as someone posted above,you gotta double check everything they do.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I had my first oil change at the dealer Friday and based on the horror stories I read here, I was nervous.

Before I left the dealer I looked under the car and the under panel was there and under the hood the cap was on. :) Got home and checked the oil level which looked good, but I find that dipstick is kinda hard to read. So overall, this dealer seemed ok so far. Plus the oil change was free. Can't beat that.

Dimitron84

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
I have a free oil change at the dealer but reading all these horror stories I may just do my own like I always have.... What is the most common oil that you guys run in the 1.5? I did all Mobil 1 in my previous car for over 125k miles when I sold it.
Sponsored