Oil Cap, you guys might be able to help (I hope)

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2003 Civic LX
Country flag
Now, I don't have an FK8, I have an Accord 2.0 Sport, and I had previously ordered a billet oil cap from PRL with my down pipe, it fits fine (slightly crooked when tightened, but no big deal)...

Well anyway, I was buying a few things from King Motorsports and impulse purchased a Mugen oil fill cap (apparently I was in the mood to spend money on overpriced things), that supposedly is the right thread for all Hondas

Went to throw it on tonight and it doesn't seem to fit right. Both the OEM cap, and the PRL cap will spin multiple full turns before being tight, the Mugen cap seems to grab the threads, but is "tight" with maybe half a turn, which doesn't seem right at all...unless Mugen caps are meant to do that?

Got online and was searching around for oil caps and came across the new Spoon Sports oil cap for the FK8, and in the description, mentions the FK8 having a different thread for it's oil cap.

What's different about it? I don't see why the PRL cap designed for all 2016+ Civics seems to fit, but the Mugen cap doesn't seem to fit.
Sponsored

ctrmofo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 lambo lp550-2, '18 honda ctr cw (r-12321), 14' porsche cayman s, '16 porsche macan s, '13 mini jcw nme stage 1, '15 audi s3 apr stage 2, '15 audi q3, '12 monster 1100 evo, '16 triumph thruxton r, deposited for '19 lambo huracan performante
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
great question and have exactly faced this problem recently with my type r.

bought a bwr and a boomba - both said fits civic si and type r. both were wrong.

prl sent me their oil cap made for type r and perfect fit, spins, and seats properly.

it's because mugen is NOT using the right thread:

type r and new accord 2.0 need m32x3.5 pitch threads. older hondas are m33x2.8 pitch.

ask king if their caps are m32x3.5 pitch. if not then it won't fit your accord 2.0.

OP
OP
Metfanant

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
great question and have exactly faced this problem recently with my type r.

bought a bwr and a boomba - both said fits civic si and type r. both were wrong.

prl sent me their oil cap made for type r and perfect fit, spins, and seats properly.

it's because mugen is NOT using the right thread:

type r and new accord 2.0 need m32x3.5 pitch threads. older hondas are m33x2.8 pitch.

ask king if their caps are m32x3.5 pitch. if not then it won't fit your accord 2.0.
Really? Ok thanks! So is there any explanation as to why the PRL cap works on the 1.5 Civics, the CTR, and the Accord?

I bit the bullet and ordered a Spoon FK8 cap, just for haha's last night to see how that works out...I'm confident that one should work, though I really liked the black Mugen cap...oh well

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag

Honda_Elite

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru STI (Sold) / 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag

OP
OP
Metfanant

Metfanant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just wondering which Mugen oil cap did you purchase? I saw that the ones listed on rhdjapan were listed as size M32 X P3.5. This is one I'm thinking of getting:

https://www.rhdjapan.com/mugen-oil-filler-cap-gold-m32-x-p3-5.html

Which matches this on kingmotorsports:
https://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-5370-mugen-i-vtec-oil-cap-all-hondaacura.aspx
That is the Mugen cap I ordered from King Motorsports, in black, and it didn't fit...

I ordered the Spoon Sports cap that is made specifically for the FK8, and it fits the Accord 2.0 motor perfectly, spins nice and free down to the seal

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
That is the Mugen cap I ordered from King Motorsports, in black, and it didn't fit...

I ordered the Spoon Sports cap that is made specifically for the FK8, and it fits the Accord 2.0 motor perfectly, spins nice and free down to the seal
Hmm, guess I'll hold off on ordering it then. It's too bad since the gold one looks damn good.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Get the custom made one with your R number on it.
I love mine.

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I love mine.
I saw your picture of it in the other thread and it looks awesome. Do you recall the guy's name so I can track him down on Facebook and put in an order?

Groundcontrol

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I love mine.
Here you go. Bought one and love it! Quick to make and send out.

Screenshot_20190315-183322_Facebook.jpg
Thank you! zsak was able to get me in touch with him as well. I would have never found him on Facebook. I am looking forward to getting mine.

On a side note, my R-Number is pretty close to yours (R-20133). When did you take delivery of your CTR? I am curious if they were on the same boat of the last 2018s. Mine was delivered in late October 2018.

zsak

First Name
Tej
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Turbo S2000, 2014 SRT Jeep Grand Cherokee , 1998 Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I bought mine in Sept. but I think it was sitting for a few months at the dealer. And your welcome!
Sponsored