Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc)

OP
OP
bouford

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks! Any advice for making sure that I don't crack the body where I drill? Did you drill really slowly?
let the bit do all the work, no need to apply excessive force, that portion of the bumper is not that thick so it was quite easy.
Sponsored

mchen397

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
Randy just shipped out a new batch! Got my set today.

Time to get hardware. I'll update ya guys once I get them installed. Hopefully it won't be too difficult lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 20190731_194319

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Randy just shipped out a new batch! Got my set today.

Time to get hardware. I'll update ya guys once I get them installed. Hopefully it won't be too difficult lol

20190731_194319.jpg
10 minute job tops. If you plan to drill holes in the car for the third (lowest) hole of the rear flaps, it'll take longer. I refused to drill my new car though. Still holds well with just 2.

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
Finally got around to installing these after waiting months (although I did send them back to get refinished, excellent customer service!!)

They look great and it was super easy to install. I did not jack the car up or even move the wheels; although I did not drill the rear lower hole. I’m surprised how soft those pop rivets are; I was able to put the screws into them by hand, with no tools. Just used an offset screwdriver to make sure they were tight

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
btw, the rock guards are fine after a few cone hits and my local test n tune auto-x event :thumbsup:
I wonder if @oldskoolfabguy can sell me another front pair. Lol my front ones didn’t survive my little run in with a couple cones a few events back that went underneath. Cracked cleanly right beneath the side skirts tho. :D

oldskoolfabguy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Country flag
I wonder if @oldskoolfabguy can sell me another front pair. Lol my front ones didn’t survive my little run in with a couple cones a few events back that went underneath. Cracked cleanly right beneath the side skirts tho. :D
Yes I sure can, just get with me and we'll work it out.

RedFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CTR
Country flag
Yes I sure can, just get with me and we'll work it out.
Thanks!!! Not gonna lie I’m still running them broken at the bottom and all since they still do a great job at keeping the rocks from kicking up to my doors. They still look great!! I get a lot of compliments about them as well at the track. You’ve made an awesome product that’s track proven. These things take a lot of beating with the debris we have here at the track. I was able to drive @bouford R on his island and their track is a lot more grittier than mines it definitely saves the paint from gettin sand blasted while looking great! Thanks again!

mchen397

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
Country flag
10 minute job tops. If you plan to drill holes in the car for the third (lowest) hole of the rear flaps, it'll take longer. I refused to drill my new car though. Still holds well with just 2.
Finally, a month later.... I got them installed. I was able to carefully drill into the fender without removing the rear wheels.

They look awesome! Nicely done Randy. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 20190829_180952

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 20190829_181020

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 20190829_181037

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 20190829_181046

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Installing oldskoolfab rock guards

I purchased these as I have been getting an increasing number of stone chips on the sides of my Type R in daily driving. The sticky tires pick up stones and toss them back. Even if you’re careful there are deposits of stones at the edges of roads and between lanes, so when you make a left turn or go around someone on a shoulder, you’re likely to pick them up.

These guards are expensive but are specifically designed for the Type R and match the design of the car well. They are narrower than many of the generic items in the market, which gives a better appearance, but should be wide enough to keep stones away from the bodywork in daily driving. Being made of real carbon fiber they match the appearance of the faux carbon fiber trim on the car, though they have more gloss, and should be more than strong enough to do the job.

There have been several posts on this installation which are helpful, but I think some clarification might help others. My installation took less than an hour including removing the rear wheels. It’s straightforward.

I purchased the recommended Honda fasteners. The parts person at my dealership could not find the part number given in posts for the 5 x 20 screws, so we went with the 5 x 25 screws (6) used for installing Honda mud flaps on other Civics (90139 SE0-003). Must give him creds for pursuing that. The part number for the spring clips (2) was OK. About $30 in all as stated elsewhere.

The guards with 5 screw holes are for the front and those with 3 for the rear. The use of the new screws described in previous posts was somewhat unclear to me, so:

On the front:

Remove the three lower screws that are there. Then, on the upper part start mounting the guard by screwing two of the self-tapping screws right into the OEM body fasteners. You can drill if you want to, but that’s not necessary as these are self-tapping screws and will thread themselves into the center of the body fasteners That will also expand and more securely fasten the original body fasteners themselves. Keep an eye on the alignment of the remaining holes as you do this, so that will all fit in the end. For the lower fastenings you reinsert the three original screws that you removed through the holes in the rock guard, and you’re done. Do the same on the other side for the front. That uses four of the purchased screws.

On the rear:

You’re probably going to need to remove each wheel to have space to do the job. On the upper portion you remove the two screws that are already there and use them to fasten the top of the guard. The bottom can be fastened using the recommended spring clips, which slip over the edge of the metal body panel. You may need to drill at least small pilot holes for the self-tapping screws. I didn’t use the clips as it appears that there’s enough material there to secure the screws without them for daily driving. Perhaps not so if you’re taking the abuse of doing autocross or track days. I’ve kept the clips and if my installation fails, I’ll use them to correct it.

The guards fit tightly against the four wheel wells, but there is a space between them and the external bodywork at the point of maximum curvature that you will want to be sure to keep clean, especially in winter, to prevent corrosion.

As many have noted, service from Randy was great.

oldskoolfabguy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Country flag
Installing oldskoolfab rock guards

I purchased these as I have been getting an increasing number of stone chips on the sides of my Type R in daily driving. The sticky tires pick up stones and toss them back. Even if you’re careful there are deposits of stones at the edges of roads and between lanes, so when you make a left turn or go around someone on a shoulder, you’re likely to pick them up.

These guards are expensive but are specifically designed for the Type R and match the design of the car well. They are narrower than many of the generic items in the market, which gives a better appearance, but should be wide enough to keep stones away from the bodywork in daily driving. Being made of real carbon fiber they match the appearance of the faux carbon fiber trim on the car, though they have more gloss, and should be more than strong enough to do the job.

There have been several posts on this installation which are helpful, but I think some clarification might help others. My installation took less than an hour including removing the rear wheels. It’s straightforward.

I purchased the recommended Honda fasteners. The parts person at my dealership could not find the part number given in posts for the 5 x 20 screws, so we went with the 5 x 25 screws (6) used for installing Honda mud flaps on other Civics (90139 SE0-003). Must give him creds for pursuing that. The part number for the spring clips (2) was OK. About $30 in all as stated elsewhere.

The guards with 5 screw holes are for the front and those with 3 for the rear. The use of the new screws described in previous posts was somewhat unclear to me, so:

On the front:

Remove the three lower screws that are there. Then, on the upper part start mounting the guard by screwing two of the self-tapping screws right into the OEM body fasteners. You can drill if you want to, but that’s not necessary as these are self-tapping screws and will thread themselves into the center of the body fasteners That will also expand and more securely fasten the original body fasteners themselves. Keep an eye on the alignment of the remaining holes as you do this, so that will all fit in the end. For the lower fastenings you reinsert the three original screws that you removed through the holes in the rock guard, and you’re done. Do the same on the other side for the front. That uses four of the purchased screws.

On the rear:

You’re probably going to need to remove each wheel to have space to do the job. On the upper portion you remove the two screws that are already there and use them to fasten the top of the guard. The bottom can be fastened using the recommended spring clips, which slip over the edge of the metal body panel. You may need to drill at least small pilot holes for the self-tapping screws. I didn’t use the clips as it appears that there’s enough material there to secure the screws without them for daily driving. Perhaps not so if you’re taking the abuse of doing autocross or track days. I’ve kept the clips and if my installation fails, I’ll use them to correct it.

The guards fit tightly against the four wheel wells, but there is a space between them and the external bodywork at the point of maximum curvature that you will want to be sure to keep clean, especially in winter, to prevent corrosion.

As many have noted, service from Randy was great.
Thank you Steve!

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I bought some kydex with carbon weave 0.80 thick going to be re doing mine agian old one were just carbon fiber wraped any body interested in my used one can pm me these are made to fit nice and perfect to work great with oem wheels will post pics of the new carbon fiber sheet pieces ill be using and the old mud flaps i will re copy for my ctr

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 433471AE-339C-42DB-A78B-07E6514110C1

These are pics of my actual mud guards i will be letting go once i make a copy

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 68E19253-433C-4F6E-A7BA-4B49F04C39D4

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 953BBF12-71CB-49B5-845F-686FF86DA9BE

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) BD616032-7697-4134-B156-B0B96CE4EE04

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 908D0F4E-8F15-496C-958F-D25DAA7A02D6

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 27D98E5B-323A-4DA2-B551-A70CEBDD694A

Honda Civic 10th gen Official FK8 Civic Type R Carbon Fiber Rock Flaps (by Oldskoolfab Inc) 9DE2959F-B750-4221-844D-D04080F3EF66