Official: 2018 Civic Type R unveiling at Geneva!!!

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Guys buying before they even get reviews are brave. I doubt Honda would screw the car up but they did that a while back from the ep3 to the junker replacement type r.

The center divider is quite annoying in the new civic. Being 6'2 I have to have my knee on the thing all the time. Almost as bad as the new Colorado console shifter.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No one has bought the CTR yet.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There was a quote from one of the top Honda folks that said they would build as many CTR's as the market desired. I will have to go back and find that.

I don't see Honda making this a limited production type (pun intended). Granted it's not going to be on par with the other hatche's number but it will certainly be more than the Black edition. Even if it's similar to the last Si numbers, that's not bad.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Guys buying before they even get reviews are brave. I doubt Honda would screw the car up but they did that a while back from the ep3 to the junker replacement type r.

The center divider is quite annoying in the new civic. Being 6'2 I have to have my knee on the thing all the time. Almost as bad as the new Colorado console shifter.
I can understand it based on the fact you can go sit in and drive a Civic Hatch. In my opinion, the new hatch is almost good enough to make me want to get one just to get out of my 09Si. If the TypeR is 'as gooder than the Hatch as the ITR was over the LS,' or better said, if 300hp roughly is better than 180, I can't imagine anything it would do that I wouldn't like about it. It would have to shoot bubbles and have a rainbow unicorn painted on the side for me to pass on it.

OP
OP

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
John Mendel (Honda North America CEO) has indicated that they will produce as many R's as the market demands. He is quoted as saying 'they hope they can sell 1,000 a month' ....but in context he also says that the price will be dictated by the British Pound since the car will be produced in Swindon. Price of course will dictate demand.

Sage Marie (Honda PR spokesperson) has been quoted as saying that the Si and the R is incremental in the Civic line up and will account for the total amount of civics on the road. Another words, the Si and R are very important to Honda.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/04/don-t-hold-your-breath-for-the-civic-type-r.html

I am just as excited about the caR as anyone else. I've owned several and will own this car in due time. I am the definition of a Honda Fanboy and No. I do not have any 'inside connections' to buy one.

I think we can all agree that the car SHOULD be great and as the AG link I posted quotes Mr Mendel, Honda knows that the enthusiasts are wanting to play with Hondas.

For those who have put money down on a car, more power to you.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Last edited:

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
There was a quote from one of the top Honda folks that said they would build as many CTR's as the market desired. I will have to go back and find that.

I don't see Honda making this a limited production type (pun intended). Granted it's not going to be on par with the other hatche's number but it will certainly be more than the Black edition. Even if it's similar to the last Si numbers, that's not bad.
https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...c-type-r-gets-to-1696289467/amp?client=safari

"Mendel said that will undoubtedly affect the price of the Type R, but he hopes to sell at least a few thousand a month. Considering the Type R’s fairly limited appeal, that’s probably about the best they can do, but we’re extremely happy to be getting it at all."

skittles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Hatchback Sport and 2013 370Z sport
Vehicle Showcase
Some of this is interesting, but ultimately hinges on your personal opinion of the value of a dollar.

"The R is still a prototype..." Honda is making this car, it's coming and everyone knows it, it is a Japanese commitment - very strong.

Now, how well the R will sell or how long it is going to be around are the questions that you apply your logic and sales experience too. And for all your history and experience it boils down to this, you are taking a bet, you're a gambler.

So, it's possible that you might not have the chance to own one.

But then again you may get one for below MSRP because you know someone - not everyone has that opportunity, but it hardly makes them foolish or uniformed.

The difference here is this, I know I have the opportunity to buy one of the first Type Rs in the USA. And I can tell you that my money will be just fine.

Last edited:

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Too early? Lolz
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2018 Civic Type R unveiling at Geneva!!! IMG_6228.JPG

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag