Official: 2018 Civic Type R unveiling at Geneva!!!

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
Nobody has a build sheet for anything yet
Sponsored

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
I don't believe anyone has "purchased" a CTR. Not one dealership knows exactly what is being released so if they are telling you otherwise it's based on rumors only.

Many of us have "pre-ordered" what we assume to be the CTR but it's not the same as us clicking through a form and picking what options etc we'd like

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I might not be in the majority here, but since this probably will be my DD car, I hope there will be a GT trim (and if not, have the one model come fully loaded). Obviously, I wouldn't want a moonroof since it would make too much of a compromise on weight and torsional rigidity, and I totally understand if there will be less sound deadening compared to lesser Civics for weight savings. But convenience features that don't have any or negligible weight penalty, such as top of the line infotainment system, auto HVAC, navigation, full LEDs all around, etc. Obviously, the car's price would increase commensurately and people would balk at a high-priced Civic, but those who understand the Type R and have been waiting for ages for this car will most likely purchase the car anyway. Besides, how many other hardcore road cars are this fun to drive and have bulletproof reliability? Reliability is a priceless feature. My S2000 is 14 years old with over a quarter million miles on it and I can still redline to 9k every day. It was well worth the 32k msrp back then. The CTR should outperform the S2000 in nearly if not in every performance category and haul other people and stuff at the same time.

Heck, if they really wanted to save weight and keep things simple, I wouldn't have minded too much if they had forgone the adaptive suspension and have it set at max hard all the time.

asiandeity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Civic SI, 2017 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think most details are somewhat already known. Specifics like power and drive modes are still uncertain. The different trim levels are also unknown. GT package? Race Base package?

Another words, the specifics are the only thing left to announce.
Officially, (Things Honda reps said at the auto shows) it will have a 2.0L turbo and comes in a manual only. Unofficially, we know what colors are available from other members on this forum.
I might not be in the majority here, but since this probably will be my DD car, I hope there will be a GT trim (and if not, have the one model come fully loaded). Obviously, I wouldn't want a moonroof since it would make too much of a compromise on weight and torsional rigidity, and I totally understand if there will be less sound deadening compared to lesser Civics for weight savings. But convenience features that don't have any or negligible weight penalty, such as top of the line infotainment system, auto HVAC, navigation, full LEDs all around, etc. Obviously, the car's price would increase commensurately and people would balk at a high-priced Civic, but those who understand the Type R and have been waiting for ages for this car will most likely purchase the car anyway. Besides, how many other hardcore road cars are this fun to drive and have bulletproof reliability? Reliability is a priceless feature. My S2000 is 14 years old with over a quarter million miles on it and I can still redline to 9k every day. It was well worth the 32k msrp back then. The CTR should outperform the S2000 in nearly if not in every performance category and haul other people and stuff at the same time.

Heck, if they really wanted to save weight and keep things simple, I wouldn't have minded too much if they had forgone the adaptive suspension and have it set at max hard all the time.
The article below states the price will slightly increase from the current Type R and will offer a GT-trim-level like the current car.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...da-civic-type-r-be-launched-geneva-motor-show

M1K3_V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civicc Si; 2016 Harley Davidson 48
Country flag
Type R will feature Honda’s latest 2.0-litre VTEC TURBO petrol engine
I've been lurking for a few months here and this is my first post on the site, but correct me if I'm wrong here. But I thought the new turbo engines that Honda is producing does not have VTEC anymore ....

BABear70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017' Honda Civic Type R in Ralley Red R-04344, 2016' Honda Civic Touring Sedan in Ralley Red, 1997' Honda Civic CX Hatchback in Electron Blue Pearl
Country flag
I bet you the US will only get one (1) Trim Lever Civic Type R. Maybe if they do it again for 2019' we might see anything different but for the 1st model year I only expect only one (1) Type R Trim.

By the way, I will venture to say that the statement where it says production will start in Summer 2017' is for UK specifically and not for the US since we are getting it FIRST!!!

Also, the Honda Rep at the Paris Auto Show said also that specs and possibly pricing will be given to the public about 1 Month before Launch... So if we get specs and price next month that will match up with an April / May Launch...

We'll see...

Regards,

BA...

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've been lurking for a few months here and this is my first post on the site, but correct me if I'm wrong here. But I thought the new turbo engines that Honda is producing does not have VTEC anymore ....
The current 1.5T doesn't have true VTEC even though Honda sometimes refers to them as Earthdreams VTEC engines.

It's unknown if the Si 1.5 or the CTR's 2.0 will have true VTEC.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I Besides, how many other hardcore road cars are this fun to drive and have bulletproof reliability? Reliability is a priceless feature. My S2000 is 14 years old with over a quarter million miles on it and I can still redline to 9k every day.
'TEC-Yo!

InitialDougie

1st PMM CTR delivery & only 2017 Sold @ MSRP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, RSX Type S, CTR
Country flag
My sources said that dealers are to be ready for an April launch. If it's ready for April, its also ready for May, June, July, Aug....

FWIW, I also mentioned Geneva. It was stated in a Swindon news paper article last month, though nothing official from Honda was stated. Honda UK unveiled these details of a Geneva debut.

And don't jump the gun here. At this point, we finally have a production model unveil date. Late April, early May is still not out of the question, not to mention, dealers also support press vehicles.
It's funny that your sources are telling you exactly what i've been told, and yet you stated in the other thread that since you're so well informed about trends/flipping cars that anyone who has put money down to 'get in line' or 'secured a car' have just been "...taken advantage of."

So are you buying one? Do you have some way of securing one without putting some skin in the game? Tell us your secrets!

A2typeR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si sedan (TSP stage 1) 2016 Mazda Miata Club (Brembo BBS pack)
Country flag
About damn time I was seriously about to give up...

If it is September I'm not waiting that long unless this car is truly something special like 340hp STi/RS track killer.

Otherwise I'm just gonna get a new mustang GT for around the same price.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
The current 1.5T doesn't have true VTEC even though Honda sometimes refers to them as Earthdreams VTEC engines.

It's unknown if the Si 1.5 or the CTR's 2.0 will have true VTEC.
The 2015 Si doesn't have vtec either. At least on the exhaust side. The civic type r makes most of its power down low anyhow. Torque!

Tim818

King Of The ‘Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
By the way, I will venture to say that the statement where it says production will start in Summer 2017' is for UK specifically and not for the US since we are getting it FIRST!!!

Also, the Honda Rep at the Paris Auto Show said also that specs and possibly pricing will be given to the public about 1 Month before Launch... So if we get specs and price next month that will match up with an April / May Launch...

We'll see...

Regards,

BA...
I would be very shocked if I saw one on the road April/May....

CivicEXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda civic
Knowing Honda, they'll announce it will have a 2.0L turbo mated to a six speed manual transmission only with no other specifics. Things we already know. A month after that, they'll give us the full specs.
a month? more like 2018 just like they are doing with the SI.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The production version could be at NYIAS...I hope to be there!
Sponsored