Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall w/ 1.5-Liter Turbo, 6-Speed MT, Apple Carplay

richtj22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4dr Civic LX 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport
Sorry bud. Its going to be hard finding a manual. Honda announced they only project 2% manual sales for civic. 2%!! Its going to be rare indeed.
I find this hard to believe. Can you provide the link to the source?

I do remember Honda once saying that 2% of all accords were the ex-l v6 6MT (excluding the LX & Sport 6MT), but 2% of all civics? That would include the 6MT in the LX/EX of the sedan & coupe & the LX/sport of the hatchback. Thats 6 different models offering a 6MT in the civic thus making in my eyes, pretty much mathematically impossible to be 2% of total civics made.
Sponsored

syncro87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic sedan EX-T, '18 Prius Two, '09 Scion xB, '88 R100RT
Country flag

I do remember Honda once saying that 2% of all accords were the ex-l v6 6MT (excluding the LX & Sport 6MT), but 2% of all civics? That would include the 6MT in the LX/EX of the sedan & coupe & the LX/sport of the hatchback. Thats 6 different models offering a 6MT in the civic thus making in my eyes, pretty much mathematically impossible to be 2% of total civics made.
Sure, Civic buyers will take the manual at a higher rate than Accord buyers. 2-3% is probably close to accurate for Accord sales, manual trans, all trims. Almost certainly, all manual Accords add up to less than 5% of total Accord sales.

Realistically, though, let us say that the take rate for manual Civics is double that of Accords. So 4%. I'll go way out on a limb and say 5% to use a round number.

Now, early on, there is going to be some pent-up demand for the manual Civic hatch. So initially, the take rate may be higher than the sustained take rate for manuals. Let us say that due to pent up demand, for the first model year, 10% of Civic hatch buyers want a stick shift, i.e. double the percentage that would opt for stick over a prolonged period. Since a manual Civic hatch hasn't been offered for a while, there is an immediate backlog of people interested in one that does not accurately reflect sustained demand in the future.

I'm guessing this is pretty realistic. I would be quite surprised if more than 10% of Civic hatch buyers opted for a manual outside of the first year of availability in the USA, and after the pent up demand is satisfied.

Honda probably isn't going to skew production in favor of manuals for that short of a time period, 6-12 months, after which demand will almost certainly fall below a 10% take rate. Most likely, they'll offer the manual at a rate approximately double that of Accord, or 4-5% of production.

The bottom line is, Honda is going to do what makes sense over time. That means testing the waters with something like 5% manuals. If you are Honda, and you are going to err, you're going to err on the smart side of what you can sell, which is automatics. You're not going to take a chance on producing 2x the number of stick shift cars you can sell. Automatic Civics are selling well, and have a very low day's supply in inventory. Dealers are probably beating your doors down wanting more automatic cars for their allocation.

We're lucky in this day and age to be getting a manual hatch outside the base trim level at all. If you want one, you're going to have to be fairly patient and maybe a bit resourceful about how you hunt one down. At least until inventories stabilize. The first 12 months might be tough for the manual seekers.

Dustyaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 veloster turbo ,2015 nissan rogue

I dont have a link i just heard from acouple of reviewers on youtube that got to test out te civic for a week say that honda told them this. Acouple of them said it. I dont remember who though ive watched like 20 different reviews on youtube.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just got on update email about the hatchback.
"Count down to the newest Civic"
The Civic Hatchback is on its way, and you could be one of the first to test-drive it. Sign up now and a Honda dealer will contact you as soon as it's on sale. You'll also receive a complimentary brochure, so you can read all about the highly anticipated new Civic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall w/ 1.5-Liter Turbo, 6-Speed MT, Apple Carplay Hatchback Email

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
just got on update email about the hatchback.
"Count down to the newest Civic"
The Civic Hatchback is on its way, and you could be one of the first to test-drive it. Sign up now and a Honda dealer will contact you as soon as it's on sale. You'll also receive a complimentary brochure, so you can read all about the highly anticipated new Civic.

Hatchback Email.png
Got that email, too

richtj22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4dr Civic LX 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport
I dont have a link i just heard from acouple of reviewers on youtube that got to test out te civic for a week say that honda told them this. Acouple of them said it. I dont remember who though ive watched like 20 different reviews on youtube.
If it is a YouTube review then it must be for the 2016 model which makes a little more sense in terms of percentage because the 6MT was only offered in the 2.0 LX model. For the the 2017 hatch which the person you previously responded to was referring, it should be significantly different 6MT % as syncro87 alluded to. Although I would still guess the percentage overall will be higher than 4-5% given all the publicity over the 6MT. ~6-8%???

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tampa Honda here in Tampa, Fl says they wont get any hatchbacks until end of next month.
I've talked to 2 dealers in KY. Both are getting an EX and an EX-L w/ navigation. A nationwide search on cargurus shows the same for all dealers listed. Seems like I saw a manual version listed on cars.com, but can't find them on a search now. Wondering if the 2 models are what everyone is getting from the first shipment. One dealer thought they would be in the the next 7-10 days. The other didn't know.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You must have missed the memo. ;)

Honda's US press release last month said the Sport and Sport Touring CVT hatches get paddle shifters.

notavr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Hondapro Jason posted these a few mins ago(source unknown)
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall w/ 1.5-Liter Turbo, 6-Speed MT, Apple Carplay IMG_5510.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall w/ 1.5-Liter Turbo, 6-Speed MT, Apple Carplay IMG_5511.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall w/ 1.5-Liter Turbo, 6-Speed MT, Apple Carplay IMG_5512.JPG

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh wow. With a closeup of the back bumper. Those plastic black grills look ugly :(.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
That back end is questionable. Forgetting the vents am I the only one that thinks the spoiler with the lights looks bulky as hell? Roof spoiler rocks though. Overall the rear styling is a bit too heavy handed.
Sponsored