Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here's how the Magnaflow Catback exhaust sounds like. Got a cold start, some revs, WOT fly bys, and a little clip at the end when I took out the resonator and put a straight pipe in.

Still nice and quiet
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
But when they test it without the exhaust they are doing both (testing stock and the least restrictive option possible) correct? The reason they took it off was to show that you wouldn't get any gains (where we are powerwise anyway) even if we ran a straight pipe completely unrestricted set up.. correct?
Nope. They only tested after they put on their FP/DP combo, thereby testing whether there were any gains to be had if you put on "their" parts. Now whether or not that is a real test of that is up to you. They did not test any exhausts or pull the exhaust off the car with the stock DP/FP on. Therefore no one can claim an exhaust will give you no gains by itself. There are multiple different setups out so far. Some front pipe back, and some including a front pipe. So far as I've seen, no one has actually done any dyno's to see if they have any gains with or without any other mods. Been seeing people who don't actually understand what they were saying, since they posted that up. I even pointed it out right after that post that they hadn't actually tested beyond that so take it all with a grain of salt until we see some tests of the current exhaust choices.

Faduzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Nope. They only tested after they put on their FP/DP combo, thereby testing whether there were any gains to be had if you put on "their" parts. Now whether or not that is a real test of that is up to you. They did not test any exhausts or pull the exhaust off the car with the stock DP/FP on. Therefore no one can claim an exhaust will give you no gains by itself. There are multiple different setups out so far. Some front pipe back, and some including a front pipe. So far as I've seen, no one has actually done any dyno's to see if they have any gains with or without any other mods. Been seeing people who don't actually understand what they were saying, since they posted that up. I even pointed it out right after that post that they hadn't actually tested beyond that so take it all with a grain of salt until we see some tests of the current exhaust choices.
Im confused
So wait they (prl) put on their front and dp. Then did a test with only the fp and dp on with no exhaust hooked up at all (catback whether it was stock or not)?

So you're saying
1. It's unclear whether the gains came from their part or the fact that they were running no exhaust (past the frontpipe)

and 2. You cannot deduce anything about stock exhaust from them because they didn't do a before and after stock exhaust on vs. stock exhaust removed..

I thought multiple companies have mentioned there are no catback gains to be had at this point? And that was one of the reasons I have heard that other options aren't available yet. Maybe hondata, vit, greddy, or ktuner had mentioned this? I thought I heard this from more than one source.

dredsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe , 2017 CRV Ex
Country flag
I need to read the thread again, it makes no sense (to me) for the guy from PRL to cut into another manufacturers thread, and post their data, with that statement that freeing up the flow behind the front pipe does nothing. its not really that important, im sure someone will post more complete info later. I just cannot imagine an Exhaust R&D team NOT testing their products with the factory exhaust, as well as the car stock? again im not trying to start an argument. I just feel like either A. I'm missing something like a post where PRL clarifies this. or B. They need to make a post clarifying this. did they say in a post that they did NOT test the oem? if so i missed it, and apologize for all this.

Anyway THE REASON IM POSTING.
I got my Flowmaster DBX installed and made a clip for you guys. I will try to get a drive by. shot this on my sony mirroless with a rode videomic at about 2 feet off the ground. make sure an notice the volume of my feet on the pavement, which is very audible. This muffler sounds loud in the video but it is very moderate. There is still slight drone at 1.5 and 3k rpm, but it is much better. if it gets alot louder after break in i will install a vibrant ultraquiet.

hope this helps people in their search.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No other company has said anything about aftermarket exhausts gains or not. PRL's test (with their DP/FP combo and stock exhaust removed) was showing gains off their FP/DP combo with nothing after that. Now if you put an exhaust on without that then there have been no tests that I know of. This means no one can predict what an aftermarket exhaust is going to do in any of the setups that have come out yet. There are several companies that have Si exhausts in development, but since the hatch came out first they were working on those plus the R popularity made that a priority as well. As for stock exhaust not being a restriction, that was proven with their combo on. Without it, I don't know if anyone has tested seperate pieces. The stock exhaust is a 1 piece pipe up to the front pipe. Even PRL said that JUST their FP gave gains on stock exhaust and stock DP. Not trying to argue about it not being a restriction, but to say it's proven that no exhaust's will give gains is/has been getting ahead of ourselves every time.

dredsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sorry for the wall of text. I'll try and find their exact post that I asked the question on.
No worries, this is interesting.

Is it not strange thats the only test? I just cant imagine not running the car in every configuration within reason. Maybe they were too busy...

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry for the wall of text. I'll try and find their exact post that I asked the question on.
I just believe that if they are running a 3" dp/fp combo with no exhaust then an exhaust would just hinder the performance and sound. It's basically an exhaust delete and should be sufficient since they tested it that way.

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I need to read the thread again, it makes no sense (to me) for the guy from PRL to cut into another manufacturers thread, and post their data, with that statement that freeing up the flow behind the front pipe does nothing. its not really that important, im sure someone will post more complete info later. I just cannot imagine an Exhaust R&D team NOT testing their products with the factory exhaust, as well as the car stock? again im not trying to start an argument. I just feel like either A. I'm missing something like a post where PRL clarifies this. or B. They need to make a post clarifying this. did they say in a post that they did NOT test the oem? if so i missed it, and apologize for all this.

Anyway THE REASON IM POSTING.
I got my Flowmaster DBX installed and made a clip for you guys. I will try to get a drive by. shot this on my sony mirroless with a rode videomic at about 2 feet off the ground. make sure an notice the volume of my feet on the pavement, which is very audible. This muffler sounds loud in the video but it is very moderate. There is still slight drone at 1.5 and 3k rpm, but it is much better. if it gets alot louder after break in i will install a vibrant ultraquiet.

hope this helps people in their search.

Did you have the stock resonator removed? Do you have any pictures of the install? Curious to see how they mounted the muffler.

dredsen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you have the stock resonator removed? Do you have any pictures of the install? Curious to see how they mounted the muffler.
The muffler was a direct swap with the factory resonator. So it basically looks like a smaller fatter resonator. The axle back is custom from the factory Y pipe two pipes in come out like rams horns to the factory tip.

We deliberated trying to fit the factory resonator in the front heatshield channel, but it was tight. If on break in, i get more drone than i have now i may add a vibrant ultraquiet in the front heatshield channel. Right now im very happy with it. Running no muffler with just the resonator sounded ok but this has a more refined sound, and the cold start on cold days was LOUD.

I should have taken pics but i didnt want to bother the guys at thd shop sperging out with my camera (even if i really wanted to).

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
@jakabony would you say your si after you did the resonator delete sounded like the magnaflow exhaust @Unibrow Tail Lights just posted a video of yesterday? I'm trying to go for that sound more/less... not loud, but a little deeper with a growl if u step on it.. thanks.

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@jakabony would you say your si after you did the resonator delete sounded like the magnaflow exhaust @Unibrow Tail Lights just posted a video of yesterday? I'm trying to go for that sound more/less... not loud, but a little deeper with a growl if u step on it.. thanks.
Yeah the Magnaflow sounds raspier than just doing the resonator delete. I’m very happy with the resonator delete. It gives a small increase in volume, and a deeper, smoother sound, with little to no drone.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just believe that if they are running a 3" dp/fp combo with no exhaust then an exhaust would just hinder the performance and sound. It's basically an exhaust delete and should be sufficient since they tested it that way.
You're not reading what I am saying. They did no tests with or without their combo (besides pulling the stock exhaust) and neither has anyone else. No one can sit here and tell you that any of the current aftermarket exhausts will/won't produce any gains without actual testing, regardless of downpipe/front pipe.
Hell, if you really read the PRL DP thread, Vit was saying he didn't even really see gains off the DP.

gylmar814

Gylmar814
First Name
Gylmar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ABM Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Mazda Cx-5, (RIP) '17 SGP Civic Hatch Ex
Country flag
Yeah the Magnaflow sounds raspier than just doing the resonator delete. I’m very happy with the resonator delete. It gives a small increase in volume, and a deeper, smoother sound, with little to no drone.
Oh wow the magnaflow sounds raspier than the resonator delete.. Thats interesting. might just have to take your word for it and jump the gun. What holds me back is the worry of it being any louder. From what u are saying it's also smoother than stock.. gonna take it to the muffler shop one of these days and do the delete and let u know what I think
Sponsored