Ammo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion SEL
Looks like EX-L w/ Nav doesn't come with an option for Honda Sensing. Makes sense because at that point it's absolutely worth it to pay the extra $800 for everything the Touring offers (what EX-L w/ Nav and Honda Sensing would likely cost).

The general rule of thumb, at least when buying a 3 Series, is to not budge from $500 over invoice. Not sure how it works with Honda but I would hope I could negotiate $26k even for a Touring ($500 over invoice plus Destination, then rounding up to an even number).

But even then, $27,335 for a car with a turbo engine, LED head lights and tail lights, leather, navigation, heated front and rear seats, a safety suite that rivals most luxury makes, and allegedly/reportedly "European sport sedan precision steering, handling and stability" sounds like a value that's impossible to pass up.
Sponsored

Last edited:

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Looks like EX-L w/ Nav doesn't come with an option for Honda Sensing. Makes sense because at that point it's absolutely worth it to pay the extra $800 for everything the Touring offers (what EX-L w/ Nav and Honda Sensing would likely cost).

The general rule of thumb, at least when buying a 3 Series, is to not budge from $500 over invoice. Not sure how it works with Honda but I would hope I could negotiate $26k even for a Touring ($500 over invoice plus Destination, then rounding up to an even number).

But even then, $27,335 for a car with a turbo engine, LED head lights and tail lights, leather, navigation, heated front and rear seats, a safety suite that rivals most luxury makes, and allegedly/reportedly "European sport sedan precision steering, handling and stability" sounds like a value that's impossible to pass up.
Not to mention if you wait a few months after launch, could maybe get $1k off MSRP. They took the once frumpy looking economy car, and made it into basically an acura while keeping the price almost the same. They had to get away from using the corolla, sentra, and lancer as benchmarks and step it up.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Ammo: In terms of pricing, I think it depends on when you want to buy. If you want to be the first in town with a 2016 Civic, you're probably going to pay close to list for the first few months. But by January $1000 or so off list should be easy to get, and by May my guess is $2000 off on a Touring might be possible.

Honda can make up to 250,000 Civics a year in its big factory in Indiana, and up to another 100k or so can be made in Honda's Canadian factory and imported here. Honda has said they are hoping to outsell the Corolla, which will mean a high level of production and dealers selling em like popcorn in a few months.

I really want to read those road tests, because as you say there's a chance that the Touring might be in many ways competitive with a loaded $40,000 BMW 320i, but for almost 15k less.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Looks like EX-L w/ Nav doesn't come with an option for Honda Sensing. Makes sense because at that point it's absolutely worth it to pay the extra $800 for everything the Touring offers (what EX-L w/ Nav and Honda Sensing would likely cost)....
Yeah, when you put it this way, the Touring is impressive for the price. For just $800 more than an imaginary EXL Navi with Sensing, you get the 450-watt 10 speaker stereo, heated rear seats, LED headlights, and what else? Seems like a great deal.

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
Yeah, when you put it this way, the Touring is impressive for the price. For just $800 more than an imaginary EXL Navi with Sensing, you get the 450-watt 10 speaker stereo, heated rear seats, LED headlights, and what else? Seems like a great deal.
The touring specific wheels, trunk lip spoiler, chrome door handles. I'd do it for the wheels, led headlights and sound alone.

Ammo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion SEL
Ammo: In terms of pricing, I think it depends on when you want to buy. If you want to be the first in town with a 2016 Civic, you're probably going to pay close to list for the first few months. But by January $1000 or so off list should be easy to get, and by May my guess is $2000 off on a Touring might be possible.

Honda can make up to 250,000 Civics a year in its big factory in Indiana, and up to another 100k or so can be made in Honda's Canadian factory and imported here. Honda has said they are hoping to outsell the Corolla, which will mean a high level of production and dealers selling em like popcorn in a few months.

I really want to read those road tests, because as you say there's a chance that the Touring might be in many ways competitive with a loaded $40,000 BMW 320i, but for almost 15k less.
Oh I'm in no rush. In a perfect world I would buy a 2016 on clearance when the 2017's are ready.

And I agree with the 320i comment. I hope the hype is legit.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
If the Si doesn't come with an auto option or a Touring trim, then I'll go standard Touring. In it for the sportiness and amenities but I'm not giving up the luxury feel.
I do not expect the Si trim to be available in auto (not impossible), but for sure not a Touring trim option.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Pricing is really going to vary by market and each dealer. Like with any new model, or any new product upon release for that matter, the first few months dealers will ask for MSRP, while some will ask more.

In my area, while my store hasn't been marking up 2016 Honda Pilots, we still have dealers within 25 miles of us asking over MSRP for the vehicle.

And just like the Pilot Elite, I expect the Civic Touring to be limited production. Demand to be high for this vehicle. Honda basically built a better Acura ILX for $6,000 less. The Civic Touring, for sure, will sell for MSRP or more longer than the rest of the trims.

That being said, the value proposition of what you are getting for $27k is hard to argue with.

One more thing. My store's owner also owns an Acura dealer. Let's just say that their manager and sales staff are not too happy with how Honda engineered the new Pilot, Accord and Civic. They will definitely lose sales.

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
Pricing is really going to vary by market and each dealer. Like with any new model, or any new product upon release for that matter, the first few months dealers will ask for MSRP, while some will ask more.

In my area, while my store hasn't been marking up 2016 Honda Pilots, we still have dealers within 25 miles of us asking over MSRP for the vehicle.

And just like the Pilot Elite, I expect the Civic Touring to be limited production. Demand to be high for this vehicle. Honda basically built a better Acura ILX for $6,000 less. The Civic Touring, for sure, will sell for MSRP or more longer than the rest of the trims.

That being said, the value proposition of what you are getting for $27k is hard to argue with.

One more thing. My store's owner also owns an Acura dealer. Let's just say that their manager and sales staff are not too happy with how Honda engineered the new Pilot, Accord and Civic. They will definitely lose sales.
One possible difference between the Pilot and the Civic is that Honda's Alabama factory simply can't keep up with demand for the Pilot. Honda seemingly needs another factory for large SUVs, but even if they decided to do that tomorrow there would be a c. 3 year wait for that to happen. I think Honda should do what Hyundai does and run the Alabama factory on 3-shifts around the clock, but that's another story.

Anyway, everyone seems to think the Civic is going to be a huge success, and initially demand might outstrip supply, which as you say will mean that Touring models will go for msrp or higher. But unlike the Pilot, which has to share one factory with the also-popular MDX and Odyssey, the Civic has the Indiana factory all to itself, and then up to c. 150,000 Civics from Canada. All of that translates to as many as 35,000 new Civics every month for US dealers. Most models should be in good supply in 3-4 months, and discounts should start becoming available. But if, as you say, they limit production of the Touring Civic to make it special, my guesses about discounts could be way off, and it could still be selling for close to msrp for quite a while.

Even at list price, as you say, the 2016 Civic Touring is going to be an amazing car and well worth the money.

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
This year has been, in my opinion, a huge change in direction for the brand. Honda's new CEO addressed the company at a global scale with a clear message. We are not going to be focused on sales numbers. Ito-san wanted to hit 7 million unit sales globally in the next 5-10 years, which is almost double what Honda archives today. Hachigo-san wants to focus on quality. From what we have heard at the store level, every model will receive some type of refresh every two and half years.

More standard features and higher quality for the same price. In fact, you guys may not know this, but every HRV, including the base LX, comes with wheels and tires normally reserved for Acura, including their Amplitude Reactive Dampers.

The value proposition with current and future Hondas will be second to none!

benjaminh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX Orchid
To give Ito credit, a lot of this new Civic was done under his watch. And when the 2012 Civic got some bad press, which it deserved, they did something Honda had never done before—a quick makeover and improvement for 2013.

And my wife's 2013 Accord already was a big improvement over my 2008 Accord in terms of refinement, features, nvh, mpg, etc.

As you say, the direction of Honda is really one I like right now, but it's been building since MY 2013 imho. Honda already stands for a higher level of vehicle than all of its direct competitors. You pay a bit more for a Honda, but it's really worth it. When I was in a new 2015 rental Camry SE recently, it seemed a step down from our 2013 Accord. And now with the 2016 refresh of the Accord Honda has just widened the gap. Because of some stumbles of few years ago, which may have been partially from the drive to meet sales goals and expand, perceptions are still maybe lagging a little.

But the new Civic seems to show what Honda can do. And given that the msrps are already very competitive, I expect smaller discounts at the dealer level on the 2016 Civic compared to its competitors. Honda is selling more on quality, features, performance, and now style.

Last edited:

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
To give Ito credit, a lot of this new Civic was done under his watch. And when the 2012 Civic got some bad press, which it deserved, they did something Honda had never done before—a quick makeover and improvement for 2013.

And my wife's 2013 Accord already was a big improvement over my 2008 Accord in terms of refinement, features, nvh, mpg, etc.

As you say, the direction of Honda is really one I like right now, but it's been building since MY 2013 imho. Honda already stands for a higher level of vehicle than all of its direct competitors. You pay a bit more for a Honda, but it's really worth it. When I was in a new 2015 rental Camry SE recently, it seemed a step down from our 2013 Accord. And now with the 2016 refresh of the Accord Honda has just widened the gap. Because of some stumbles of few years ago, which may have been partially from the drive to meet sales goes and expand, perceptions are still maybe lagging a little.

But the new Civic seems to show what Honda can do. And given that the msrps are already very competitive, I expect smaller discounts at the dealer level on the 2016 Civic compared to its competitors. Honda is selling more on quality, features, performance, and now style.
I agree that Ito deserves credit. I mean, the eventual NSX is a product of his desire to bring back the sporty nature back to Honda. Yet, near the end the focus switched to numbers, unfortunately, which led to increase of production and a loss of quality control when it came to its parts suppliers.

I'm confident that all will be corrected soon enough and Honda will go back to what they were. They seem to be on the right path again.

That being said, you have a point about Hondas being worth more than competitors. There's one thing I do with every single customer of mine who has never owned a Honda. If they tell me they are shopping around for the best price among competitors, I tell them right then and there that it's not going to be a Honda. It's the simple truth. The equivalent Toyota, Nissan, etc, will always be cheaper, but there's a reason for it.

A Honda will almost always have a higher build quality, more standard and exclusive features, higher reliability, higher safety, etc. Also add to the fact that Honda does not sell to rental companies, unlike its competitors. If you rental sales away, the Civic, Accord, Odyssey and CRV far outsell the competition.

So I asked them simply," do you want the cheapest car or the car that gives you the best value?"

It's as simple as that.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
The ex and ex l on this model any differences other than the leather for the 1010 premium?

HondaGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
The ex and ex l on this model any differences other than the leather for the 1010 premium?
At a minimum it will be leather, heated seats, possibly power seats as well. I'm hoping tomorrow all the final features for each trim will be announced.