Offical "Si Dealer Naughty List" thread

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
Returned today.... found a very small nick in the rear bumper, below the right side grille/reflector. Took it down the road to their body guy who said he would remove the bumper, repair and repaint it. I’m realllllly not keen on paint work with 100 miles on it so I returned to the manager. We hammered out an agreement... 3 oil/filter changes, Honda all weather mats and trunk liner along with the wheels locks for $300 in lieu of them doing any body work.

So, $22,300 out the door with everything..... and a nicked bumper

Could’ve likely gotten the mats/liner/locks under $300, and oil changes aren’t more than $30-40, but I just wanted to be done. I’m very happy with the deal and the car. Still extremely impressed that this is a Civic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
Good Dealer:
Huggins Honda in Richland Hills(DFW) TX.
Went to the dealer to see the color options in person (had already test driven at another dealer). They had just sold the gray one I saw online. The salesman did a great job to close my sale. He showed me the same gray on another model and found one on the truck that was coming in in a couple weeks. As a plus it was a 2019(little did I know about the volume knob at the time). I said I would put down a deposit if I could pay the same as the 2018 and throw in the add-on accessories for free or dont bother putting them on. $500 deposit, got a text with pics of the car when it showed up. Went down to the lot, paperwork was ready, price and agreements were honored in original paperwork first try, finance manager was polite when I declined any adds there. Low and behold they had installed all splash guards, tint, wheel locks, truck liner etc and didnt charge me for it. Was in and out in a reasonable amount of time.

Really happy with the experience, will buy from them again.

Salesman: Weston King. Super cool, laid back salesman.

Note: this was December 24th and they were trying to make their numbers for the year which may be one reason why they threw in the accessories without much drama from me.
Please give OTD price. They were asking $28k OTD the last time I emailed them. Of course, you will get red carpet treatment if you pay that. They would make a killing at that price.

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Coupe. 2018 JL Rubicon. 1988 K5 Blazer
Country flag
Please give OTD price. They were asking $28k OTD the last time I emailed them. Of course, you will get red carpet treatment if you pay that. They would make a killing at that price.
My deal was strait MSRP with no upcharges for anything + TTL.
I did the Honda [email protected]% with $7k down and a $362/mo payment.
I dont remember the actual OTD.

Honestly I am so happy with the overall value of the SI I didn't try too hard, just didn't want to pay for anything extra and paid MSRP.
And, making drama over the $5-10 a month difference in the payment just isn't worth it for me.

But I did already have the math done before stepping foot in the dealership. I simply asked for that deal (being a resonable offer and late in the year/month they took it). Everybody happy!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag

Honestly I am so happy with the overall value of the SI I didn't try too hard, just didn't want to pay for anything extra and paid MSRP.
And, making drama over the $5-10 a month difference in the payment just isn't worth it for me.

But I did already have the math done before stepping foot in the dealership. I simply asked for that deal (being a resonable offer and late in the year/month they took it). Everybody happy!
Ho. Lee. Cow.

Thinking you got a "good deal" because they didn't charge above MSRP for a Civic Si... You fell for that one hook, line, and sinker!

Based on what others have been paying, you overpaid somewhere around $2,000-3,000 or about $35-50 per month over 60 months - not $5-10.

Are you related to the lady in this YouTube video who paid $41,000 + TT&L for a 1999 Buick Riviera that had an MSRP of $38,595? :)

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ho. Lee. Cow.

Thinking you got a "good deal" because they didn't charge above MSRP for a Civic Si... You fell for that one hook, line, and sinker!

Based on what others have been paying, you overpaid somewhere around $2,000-3,000 or about $35-50 per month over 60 months - not $5-10.

Are you related to the lady in this YouTube video who paid $41,000 + TT&L for a 1999 Buick Riviera that had an MSRP of $38,595? :)

LOL!

I was never bragging about how good my deal was. I was just honest about the deal I did. I didn't fall for anything hook, line and sinker. I walked in and said "I'll buy that car, thanks." Pretty simple.

I didn't try to talk them down $2-3K or whatever because the drama isn't worth my time and I like the car. My car buying choices factor in many things.

Dont get me wrong with other cars and other salesmen I have hammered dealerships for big discounts. In this case, the salesman was super cool, the dealership had good vibes, The car at msrp is less than half the price of my other cars and other cars I've bought in the past. It just wasn't a big deal to me. I like the car, I bought the car and didn't let them nickel and dime me over the BS add-ons. I even got free splash gards, tint, etc. Like I said everybodys happy.... except you. Ho Lee Cow and all LOL. It may blow your mind but $50/mo isn't going to make me or break me.

Oh and by the way, I've put make 600 miles on the car and it's been sitting in the garage for a month untouched because I've been out of town with work. The car is a very small part of my life and so is the payment. Not going to stress about what kind of deal I can force on someone.

Last edited:

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
LOL!

I was never bragging about how good my deal was. I was just honest about the deal I did. I didn't fall for anything hook, line and sinker. I walked in and said "I'll buy that car, thanks." Pretty simple.

I didn't try to talk them down $2-3K or whatever because the drama isn't worth my time and I like the car. My car buying choices factor in many things.

Dont get me wrong with other cars and other salesmen I have hammered dealerships for big discounts. In this case, the salesman was super cool, the dealership had good vibes, The car at msrp is less than half the price of my other cars and other cars I've bought in the past. It just wasn't a big deal to me. I like the car, I bought the car and didn't let them nickel and dime me over the BS add-ons. I even got free splash gards, tint, etc. Like I said everybodys happy.... except you. Ho Lee Cow and all LOL. It may blow your mind but $50/mo isn't going to make me or break me.

Oh and by the way, I've put make 600 miles on the car and it's been sitting in the garage for a month untouched because I've been out of town with work. The car is a very small part of my life and so is the payment. Not going to stress about what kind of deal I can force on someone.
...cool.
So this is a thread about dealers that are attempting to rip people off, and it exists as a means of helping the community avoid those places. I'm glad you had a pleasant experience but your story isn't really relevant to this discussion if you're not contributing any information about the deal and how it was particularly good or bad. Glad you're enjoying the Si, though, and welcome to the community! You're right that once you're driving it, everything else seems to fall away.

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...cool.
So this is a thread about dealers that are attempting to rip people off, and it exists as a means of helping the community avoid those places. I'm glad you had a pleasant experience but your story isn't really relevant to this discussion if you're not contributing any information about the deal and how it was particularly good or bad. Glad you're enjoying the Si, though, and welcome to the community! You're right that once you're driving it, everything else seems to fall away.

...Cool
So:
- I posted here originally with a short story here mentioning how the dealer I used didn't try to rip me off.
- Then someone asked the specifics of my deal.
- I answered the question honestly and simply
- Then I get some smart ass "you fell for it hook line and sinker" bullshit
- Then I defended my position on my deal

You act like I'm pushing my story or highjacking the thread, which I am not.

"if you're not contributing any information about the deal and how it was particularly good or bad"
I did contribute to particularly good or bad in my original post... if you want to coach anyone on forum usage maybe talk to Mr. Ho.Lee.Hell who wanted to tell me how I got ripped off on a deal that I walked in and bought at MSRP like it's his money.

"as a means of helping the community avoid those places."

It's hard to avoid those places if everything is negative and no one mentions the good places.

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
...Cool
So:
- I posted here originally with a short story here mentioning how the dealer I used didn't try to rip me off.
- Then someone asked the specifics of my deal.
- I answered the question honestly and simply
- Then I get some smart ass "you fell for it hook line and sinker" bullshit
- Then I defended my position on my deal

You act like I'm pushing my story or highjacking the thread, which I am not.

"if you're not contributing any information about the deal and how it was particularly good or bad"
I did contribute to particularly good or bad in my original post... if you want to coach anyone on forum usage maybe talk to Mr. Ho.Lee.Hell who wanted to tell me how I got ripped off on a deal that I walked in and bought at MSRP like it's his money.

"as a means of helping the community avoid those places."

It's hard to avoid those places if everything is negative and no one mentions the good places.

"contributing any information about the deal and how it was particularly good or bad"
You came into a pricing thread and basically said you don't precisely know or care what you paid but the dealer was very nice to you. And that's great that they have good manners, but your posts ignored the thread's main purpose (price) so it kind of was threadjacking. That said, I apologize if I am coming across as overly critical. Your contribution definitely has value here, so thank you.

And it's not all negative. Yours is one of several positive comments I've read and I even posted one myself. In fact I attempted to update the list by mentioning a previously listed "good" place that was engaging in price gouging while a previously listed "bad" place offered a great deal. It turns out some dealerships are aware of this thread and want to fix their image. The salesperson I worked with actually mentioned it during the course of the sale. Of course his finance guy was still a d-bag, but I suppose small improvements are better than none.

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
"contributing any information about the deal and how it was particularly good or bad"
You came into a pricing thread and basically said you don't precisely know or care what you paid but the dealer was very nice to you. And that's great that they have good manners, but your posts ignored the thread's main purpose (price) so it kind of was threadjacking. That said, I apologize if I am coming across as overly critical. Your contribution definitely has value here, so thank you.

And it's not all negative. Yours is one of several positive comments I've read and I even posted one myself. In fact I attempted to update the list by mentioning a previously listed "good" place that was engaging in price gouging while a previously listed "bad" place offered a great deal. It turns out some dealerships are aware of this thread and want to fix their image. The salesperson I worked with actually mentioned it during the course of the sale. Of course his finance guy was still a d-bag, but I suppose small improvements are better than none.
I gotcha, makes sense.

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag

Makes complete sense now. I know prices are subjective, if you are willing to pay the price - no one can object to it. Its a free market. However, at that price the dealer should be in the naughty list.

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Makes complete sense now. I know prices are subjective, if you are willing to pay the price - no one can object to it. Its a free market. However, at that price the dealer should be in the naughty list.
I obviously dont understand the criteria for naughty list. Sorry folks.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I think the principle here is that there is no reason to pay anywhere near MSRP for a Civic Si at this point in time. It's common to pay thousands less with very little effort. Unlike a dishwasher from Lowe's or a box of paper clips from Office Depot with non-negotiable pricing, it's common, normal, and expected for shoppers to negotiate prices below MSRP for new cars. From that perspective, paying full MSRP when market conditions don't dictate it is foolish and frivolous no matter how wealthy you are - the only thing you're accomplishing is funding the salesperson's cocaine habit while the employees stand beside the water cooler laughing at the guy who just paid full sticker price for a Civic Si after you leave.

Sure, most of any of who purchase vehicles could afford to pay a couple thousand dollars more than we should have, but why would we?

SaintClarence27

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Honda of Champaign County (Illinois)
Got a quote from internet, confirmed it via phone call with salesperson. Went in, everything seemed cool, and I was happy with the quote (23,500 before TTL). Scheduled a test drive, got an out the door price on my quote, and everything seemed up and up. I told him I was doing my own financing through a credit union, and he asked if I wanted to go through them if they could beat it on the 1.9/60mo deal. I explained to him that my current financing came out to 315/mo with the money I had down, and he plugged in the numbers and claimed that my financing for 72 would actually be a payment of 339/mo, which was only $20/month less than their 60 month offer. I wanted to see what he had typed into the program, and it was clear that the program was rigged to show a higher payment. It *was* 315/mo, as I had already confirmed it with the credit union and run it on multiple car payment programs. I asked for him to find out how much the install was on the wireless charger and text me. He did, and it was enough that I would have preferred to just do it myself, so I texted back "I'll skip it then - that's too much."

I did submit for their financing to see if they could beat the rate. At first, he gave me a number and it was higher, so I said no, and he tried to argue and tell me how I could just sign and do all the paperwork at the dealership, and I again declined. Then they matched the rate, and I declined again, and then he said that the match was a mistake and it was actually lower. I said no at that point because I didn't want to deal with them any longer.

Then I asked for a confirmation of an out the door price to send my credit union, and he told me $1000 more than he had previously told me. Then when I get pissed, he says "Oh, sorry, there's a mistake, it's actually ...." When I ask him why it's still so much, he tells me they already installed the wireless charger that I declined.

They also took forever sending the paperwork to the credit union and messed it up, and basically made it so that not going through Honda finance was a giant PITA. Then complained that they didn't get the check on their schedule. I will not be going back, but I am really happy with the car (other than having to have them replace the summer tires).

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the principle here is that there is no reason to pay anywhere near MSRP for a Civic Si at this point in time. It's common to pay thousands less with very little effort. Unlike a dishwasher from Lowe's or a box of paper clips from Office Depot with non-negotiable pricing, it's common, normal, and expected for shoppers to negotiate prices below MSRP for new cars. From that perspective, paying full MSRP when market conditions don't dictate it is foolish and frivolous no matter how wealthy you are - the only thing you're accomplishing is funding the salesperson's cocaine habit while the employees stand beside the water cooler laughing at the guy who just paid full sticker price for a Civic Si after you leave.

Sure, most of any of who purchase vehicles could afford to pay a couple thousand dollars more than we should have, but why would we?
All rational comments.

But since its aimed at me I will answer your question. It wasn't worth my time, I was in and out and got it done. I had one week before leaving on a 3 month business trip and was closing on a house in Dallas the next day. My wife works 60+ hours a week and I wanted to spend some time with her not in a car dealership. I care more about what my family thinks of me than what dealership employees beside a watercooler think of me.

My point is and has been dont talk shit to someone for paying MSRP when you dont understand their situation.

SaintClarence27

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
All rational comments.

But since its aimed at me I will answer your question. It wasn't worth my time, I was in and out and got it done. I had one week before leaving on a 3 month business trip and was closing on a house in Dallas the next day. My wife works 60+ hours a week and I wanted to spend some time with her not in a car dealership. I care more about what my family thinks of me than what dealership employees beside a watercooler think of me.

My point is and has been dont talk shit to someone for paying MSRP when you dont understand their situation.
Totally fair. If the extra $$ don't bother you, good on you for being comfortable!
Sponsored