Offical "Si Dealer Naughty List" thread

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My dealership where I'm at sold me my 2018 Si (sedan) for only $400 over msrp which i thought was good if you guys are in the market come check out our dealership.
Only $400 over MSRP, huh? If you think that's good, you should buy a Civic Type R - those are going for a few thousand dollars over MSRP.
Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Subaru Crosstrek, shopping for a Civic Si (previously owned 9 Hondas)
NAUGHTY DEALER: J.L. FREED HONDA, Montgomeryville PA

I contacted J.L. Freed Honda in Montgomeryville PA asking for a price quote on a 2019 Civic Si Coupe. They sent me a written quote of $23,056, plus a doc fee of $141.

When I followed up and went to actually try and buy the car, they told me 'so sorry, we made a mistake, the actual price will be $23,956'.

I wasn't interested, and walked. I've been getting a LOT of this same BS from other dealers, quoting a price to me - in writing - and then when I try to go through with the deal, they give me the same line about 'sorry, the price we quoted you was a mistake, this is the real price', which has been $800-$1,000 above what their written quote was for. I'll be posting these so that others may know of my experiences, and be prepared accordingly.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Subaru Crosstrek, shopping for a Civic Si (previously owned 9 Hondas)
NAUGHTY DEALER: CONICELLI HONDA, Conshohocken, PA

I contacted Conicelli Honda in Conshohocken PA asking for a price quote on a 2019 Civic Si Coupe. They sent me a written quote of $23,266, plus a doc fee of $141.

When I followed up and went to actually try and buy the car, they told me "Sorry, we made a mistake with the price, the actual price is $24,066".

I wasn't interested, and walked. Ironically, the last time we bought a Honda (in 2011), we tried Conicelli and they pulled the exact same thing: sent us a written price quote by email, and when we showed up, gave us the same line about the price they sent us was a 'mistake', and the real price they would sell us the car for was $1,000 higher than they quoted. I somehow think it wasn't a coincidence that both times we tried this dealership, they played the same game. In 2011 they even played the ridiculous game of coming out into the parking lot when we got into our car and started to leave, and knocked on the window saying 'come back, we have some good news'.

This now makes 4 different Honda dealers that have tried this with me within the past 2 weeks in my search for a 2019 Civic Si coupe. 4 different written price quotes, and 4 almost identical responses of their saying the price was a 'mistake' and the 'real' price they will sell me the car for is $800-$1,000 higher.

At this point, I think I'm going to give up trying to buy a Civic Si, and will look for a different brand of car (maybe a Subaru). I like the Civic Si, but it's just not worth the aggravation of having to deal with sleazy dealers to try and buy one.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over expecting different results?

And let's not forget the part of the serenity prayer that reads, "... grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

Maybe it's time you changed your approach to get a different result. ;)

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
zroger73, I completely agree with your sentiment. But, how would you suggest I change my approach?

I ask for a price, receive it, and then when I try to go and actually buy it for the price a dealer has offered, they won’t stand behind their own price.

Right now I’m thinking of changing my approach by going to a different brand. Maybe Subaru. What would you suggest?

Thank you!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What has worked for me for years is considering prices others have paid and getting an idea of dealer cost to determine how much I'm willing to pay. I then send out an email blast to multiple dealers who have the vehicle I want in stock letting them know that I'm willing to buy today for $X OTD firm or trade for $X OTD firm difference (let them move the numbers around if you're trading). Don't itemize or they'll use that against you. I've found that many don't reply. Some reply with a counteroffer despite my making clear that my offer was firm. A few will generally accept my offer. At the end of the day, I'll go sign the paperwork at the closest dealer.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What has worked for me for years is considering prices others have paid and getting an idea of dealer cost to determine how much I'm willing to pay. I then send out an email blast to multiple dealers who have the vehicle I want in stock letting them know that I'm willing to buy today for $X OTD firm or trade for $X OTD firm difference (let them move the numbers around if you're trading). Don't itemize or they'll use that against you. I've found that many don't reply. Some reply with a counteroffer despite my making clear that my offer was firm. A few will generally accept my offer. At the end of the day, I'll go sign the paperwork at the closest dealer.
Thanks zroger73. I might have to try that. Like you said, a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

For the past couple of decades, I've used the approach of contacting a fairly large number of dealers (basically, every one of a brand within 100 miles or so), and asking them to give me their best bottom-line price for the car I'm interested in. I make clear that I'm a serious cash buyer, ready to buy immediately, with no trade in and no financing needed. I also make clear that I'm only asking once - I'm not going to play games, I'm not going to 'come back with my best offer' and see if they'll beat it, and I'm not going to 'shop elsewhere first and come to us last'. If they're interested, make me their best offer, and I'll decide. If they want to sell to me, it'll be a quick, no-nonsense, straightforward deal - if that's what they want.

At least every time other than this time, this approach has worked pretty well in the past. I have found that most dealers will respond with a good offer, generally close to invoice (when we bought my wife's Subaru Crosstrek a couple of months ago, I was pleasantly surprised that a couple of dealers gave prices below invoice, going into their holdback). Maybe 5% of dealers either won't respond, or will say something like 'we don't give prices except in person at our dealership', which I then ignore. With this approach, they give me their price, rather than my trying to beat them down. I also don't have the time or patience for going back-and-forth with a dealer - just tell me what you'll sell me the car for, and I'll decide if I want to buy it.

I tried the same approach this time for a Civic Si, but it clearly hasn't worked. Despite getting price offers from 4 different dealers, they haven't been willing to honor their own prices - they all want to play the 'the price we gave you was a mistake and here's the price deal' game. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm completely disgusted with Honda dealers right now, and was a result, disenchanted with Honda cars. I like the Civic Si, but life is too short to put up with the BS from dealers to try and buy one (at least in my area). I might put my search on hold for a couple of months and try again in the spring, looking in a broader area and away from my own immediate area, or I may buy a Subaru BRZ instead. The Subaru dealers I dealt with in buying my wife's car were refreshingly straightforward, no games, no BS, just a good price and an honest deal. Completely different from my recent experiences with Honda dealers.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
...or one could argue that life's too short to get stressed and angry over $1,000. Just buy the car and enjoy it already - 100 years from now it won't make a difference to anyone. ;)

I'm one of the biggest penny pinchers you'll ever find and will trip over a dollar to save a dime, yet I paid full MSRP for one of the first 2017 Civic Si's to land at a dealer a year and a half ago. I enjoyed the heck out of that car for months while others were spinning their wheels over a few hundred dollars. I no longer own the car, but I have no regrets over what I paid. It's all history now. :)

Now, I wouldn't pay MSRP for an Si today because the excitement has decreased and they are more readily available now, but I wouldn't deprive myself of the driving pleasure over several hundred dollars if that's what it took to get into a vehicle that I really wanted.

I understand your conundrum, though. I wouldn't buy from a dealer that promised one thing and did another. That's one reason I finalize everything but the signature through email.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...or one could argue that life's too short to get stressed and angry over $1,000. Just buy the car and enjoy it already - 100 years from now it won't make a difference to anyone. ;)

I'm one of the biggest penny pinchers you'll ever find and will trip over a dollar to save a dime, yet I paid full MSRP for one of the first 2017 Civic Si's to land at a dealer a year and a half ago. I enjoyed the heck out of that car for months while others were spinning their wheels over a few hundred dollars. I no longer own the car, but I have no regrets over what I paid. It's all history now. :)

Now, I wouldn't pay MSRP for an Si today because the excitement has decreased and they are more readily available now, but I wouldn't deprive myself of the driving pleasure over several hundred dollars if that's what it took to get into a vehicle that I really wanted.

I understand your conundrum, though. I wouldn't buy from a dealer that promised one thing and did another. That's one reason I finalize everything but the signature through email.
Thank you zroger73. That is truly a wise thought, and I couldn't agree more.

Having grown up in very modest financial circumstances, it became ingrained in my DNA to make every dollar go as far as possible. Old habits die hard. But now being on the wrong side of 60, you are absolutely right. Time is worth much more than an amount of money which won't make any difference in the long run or any big picture (hell, not just 100 years from now, but much sooner than that it won't make a difference to anyone, most of all me).

At this point in my life, I'd gladly pay $500 or $1,000 more - to an honest, trustworthy dealer (if such a thing exists) - to do a straightforward deal on car. In the 4 cases I've been through recently, if they'd just come back with that price ion the first place, I'd probably have bought the car anyway. What bothers me is the lack of trust. If they're going to lie to me and pull a bait-and-switch, they've shown themselves to be untrustworthy. What else will they change their minds on? How else will they try to rip me off or take advantage of me? I don't like the feeling of being ripped off, and I just can't do business with someone I don't trust (the most painful and expensive mistakes I've made in my life were in my career when I talked myself into moving forward in business deals with someone I didn't trust; it never worked out well, and always came back to bite me).

Boni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
NAUGHTY DEALER: CONICELLI HONDA, Conshohocken, PA

I contacted Conicelli Honda in Conshohocken PA asking for a price quote on a 2019 Civic Si Coupe. They sent me a written quote of $23,266, plus a doc fee of $141.

When I followed up and went to actually try and buy the car, they told me "Sorry, we made a mistake with the price, the actual price is $24,066".

I wasn't interested, and walked. Ironically, the last time we bought a Honda (in 2011), we tried Conicelli and they pulled the exact same thing: sent us a written price quote by email, and when we showed up, gave us the same line about the price they sent us was a 'mistake', and the real price they would sell us the car for was $1,000 higher than they quoted. I somehow think it wasn't a coincidence that both times we tried this dealership, they played the same game. In 2011 they even played the ridiculous game of coming out into the parking lot when we got into our car and started to leave, and knocked on the window saying 'come back, we have some good news'.

This now makes 4 different Honda dealers that have tried this with me within the past 2 weeks in my search for a 2019 Civic Si coupe. 4 different written price quotes, and 4 almost identical responses of their saying the price was a 'mistake' and the 'real' price they will sell me the car for is $800-$1,000 higher.

At this point, I think I'm going to give up trying to buy a Civic Si, and will look for a different brand of car (maybe a Subaru). I like the Civic Si, but it's just not worth the aggravation of having to deal with sleazy dealers to try and buy one.
I would go ahead and skip Piazza too as they acted like the Si was an exclusive car and didn't take me seriously. I bought from Davis Honda in NJ. It's over in Burlington and pretty close to you. Try the truecar as I got mine for around 22-23k plus taxes and fees.I can refer you if you like.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boni, thank you very much! I would greatly appreciate it if you might have a name of a salesperson you worked with.

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Coupe. 2018 JL Rubicon. 1988 K5 Blazer
Country flag
Good Dealer:
Huggins Honda in Richland Hills(DFW) TX.
Went to the dealer to see the color options in person (had already test driven at another dealer). They had just sold the gray one I saw online. The salesman did a great job to close my sale. He showed me the same gray on another model and found one on the truck that was coming in in a couple weeks. As a plus it was a 2019(little did I know about the volume knob at the time). I said I would put down a deposit if I could pay the same as the 2018 and throw in the add-on accessories for free or dont bother putting them on. $500 deposit, got a text with pics of the car when it showed up. Went down to the lot, paperwork was ready, price and agreements were honored in original paperwork first try, finance manager was polite when I declined any adds there. Low and behold they had installed all splash guards, tint, wheel locks, truck liner etc and didnt charge me for it. Was in and out in a reasonable amount of time.

Really happy with the experience, will buy from them again.

Salesman: Weston King. Super cool, laid back salesman.

Note: this was December 24th and they were trying to make their numbers for the year which may be one reason why they threw in the accessories without much drama from me.

Dan9908

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Accord Sport 2.0/A10, 05 Civic LX
Country flag
I would go ahead and skip Piazza too as they acted like the Si was an exclusive car and didn't take me seriously. I bought from Davis Honda in NJ. It's over in Burlington and pretty close to you. Try the truecar as I got mine for around 22-23k plus taxes and fees.I can refer you if you like.
$22,000 at Davis last night... 18 Si