OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear?

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I will most likely go for 255/30/20 so to retain the overall diameter. One of my wheels are already bent from a metal plate on the highway so running thicker sidewall is not necessary for me.
I think the diameter will be a little larger with the 255 setup over the oem 245 setup.
Sponsored

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
I think the diameter will be a little larger with the 255 setup over the oem 245 setup.
255/30 is minimal compared to going for 245/35.

.8% vs 3.9% increase

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
The PS4S is such a weird tire to me. It's an expensive summer tire, but it's not fast on track or at autocross. What is it good at? Why should anyone buy it?

If you just want a tire for the street, a set of UHP all seasons (like I have on my CTR) are going to be plenty for anything you can get up to on the road.
It is the best all around summer tire. Low noise, good ride quality, good wet grip, good dry grip, long tread life (with warranty).

Yes, certain tires do 1 or 2 things better than the PS4S, but as a complete package, nothing else is close.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag

Handymanzebra7

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R; 1993 Nissan 240 SX SE
Country flag
Hi there! I've owned my CTR since June of 2017 (#00969) and I have about 11,000 miles on her. Will be storing for the winter in a month or so and I was thinking when I get her out in spring I may have to look at replacing my OEM tires. I haven't tracked the car (why not???) so I only have normal wear for the 11K miles. Tires are suppose to last 10K, but they still look pretty good.

Curious if others have replaced their OEM tires due to normal wear, at how many miles did you do this, and what did you replace the OEM tires with? I will probably go with the stock OEM tires for replacement, but wanted other opinions.
After the dealer explained the OEM tires would maybe last 10K miles...AND should NOT be driven when the ambient temp falls below 40 degrees (really?!?)...I first checked out this website to see what everyone else was doing concerning tire replacement.
Found a few who were purchasing Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ 255 35 R-20 and had great service (no scrubbing or other problems).
I live in Oregon and we have already had many days with temps well below 40 degrees (today is October 29th 2019--dipped down to the upper 20's last night). I purchased the "R" back this past July 2019.
The tire dealer where I purchased the Michelins even threw in $150.00 (for the "used" tires since the Conti's had only ~ 200 miles on them.

My question is:Why doesn't Honda put Michelin's on this car to begin with?

O.K folks--> time to cast your vote:
How many of you actually NEEDED the sticky Conti's (aggressive driving) vs...
-->How many would rather have an all season-better mileage tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport as original equipment (or something other than a 10K "SUMMER ONLY" tire?) as original equipment for the CIVIC Type R?

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
-->How many would rather have an all season-better mileage tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport as original equipment (or something other than a 10K "SUMMER ONLY" tire?) as original equipment for the CIVIC Type R?
It's a Type R - Honda's highest performance variant. It's not going to come with A/S tires. Period. If you want to equip it after the fact, that's fine, but Honda is not going to sell it that way.

Almost like asking Porsche to fit an A/S tire to a GT car. Just isn't happening.

If anything, I wish there had been an option to equip 19" lighter wheels (NSX Y spokes) with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s, as fitted to the Nurburgring lap car.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
All Season tires should be renamed All Compromise tires, as that's all they're good at.

Excel at nothing.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
O.K folks--> time to cast your vote:
If the type R came with all-season tires then I would have ended up spending money on tires for autocross, so... either way I would have been buying new tires.

zeppelin2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm actually really disappointed with the wear on my OE tires. After 9500 km (6000 miles), my fronts are at the wear bars (1 to 2/32" of tread left in the center). The rears are at 6 to 7/32". No track days.

Anyone know if the general consensus of "10K miles" includes a front/back tire rotation? I haven't rotated mine.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I can't stand the stock Contis and would have done anything for a better OEM tire.

It all depends on your background and where you came from. If you previously drove SUVs or more pedestrian cars, the Contis likely feel pretty good. If you've been into hooning cars for sometime and have experience with summer performance tires, the Contis will fall short.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
True, if you live were there is cold weather and want excellent year round handling, you need two sets of UHP tires. I knew that when I purchased the car, so got Pirellis for the winter. I like the feel and performance of the sticky 20" Continentals for daily driving, would use them year round If they were up to it, and will replace them with such when they need it, unless something demonstrably better comes along.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Absolutely true. My car is wearing them because I don't want to fuck with having a summer set and a winter set in Texas, where it gets cold enough that summer tires get dicey about 3 weeks of the year.

Anyone who lives where it actually snows/isn't a lazy, cheap bastard like me should have a dedicated summer set and a dedicated winter set.
How cold does it get for those three weeks? I assume it’s fair to assume above 32F?

The general rule of thumb is to replace summer tires with winter tires once the temps hit 45F... but personally, I stay on my summers until it gets closer to 32F. I am aware my traction is decreasing and I don’t push the car through corners, but for what I’d consider “normal” non-spirited driving, its no issue.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
How cold does it get for those three weeks? I assume it’s fair to assume above 32F?

The general rule of thumb is to replace summer tires with winter tires once the temps hit 45F... but personally, I stay on my summers until it gets closer to 32F. I am aware my traction is decreasing and I don’t push the car through corners, but for what I’d consider “normal” non-spirited driving, its no issue.
I run summer tires year round. As long as the temp is above 20F, the tires won't have any lasting issues. You just need to drive carefully.

It's very rare for the temp here to get below 20F (and that's the low, not the high), so it's not a problem for me.
Sponsored