OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear?

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
Im at 18k miles and still have tread left. :dunno:
Hell I just passed 35k miles and still on OEM tires. I don't understand you people who are saying the tires should only last 10k miles, that's not even a year of normal driving!

With that said, I'm about to go ahead and order some new ones. Maybe just the front for now, not sure.
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
I'm about to replace my Contis with winter tires, then swap to PS4S when it warms up in Spring on my Titan wheels. However, the original Contis have pretty much only lasted ~12k miles, which honestly I'm surprised at. They haven't been the best tire in the last few hundred miles though, even though I'm not at the wear bar. I've been getting quite a bit of wheel spin even when temperatures were in the 60s. Kinda happy to take them off for good.

Hell I just passed 35k miles and still on OEM tires. I don't understand you people who are saying the tires should only last 10k miles, that's not even a year of normal driving!

With that said, I'm about to go ahead and order some new ones. Maybe just the front for now, not sure.
That's because you aren't on the Contis for the Type R - which are rated at ~10k miles for tread wear.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Im at 18k miles and still have tread left. :dunno:

looking at the falken azenis fk510 for daily tires and probably go for ps4s when I get aftermarket 18s/19s
The 245/35/20 Falken FK510 tires on stock wheels are an absolute steal looking at the test data and customer reviews. I won’t hesitate to get these when mine wear out.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 1528B7E0-7BE0-4424-B017-03F77B85C646

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I went for 245/35ZR19 when I switched to all-seasons (daily driver used in the NC winters). 30 profiles are too damn slim for real roads, IMO. Next set I’m getting 255/35ZR19 to put a tiny bit more rubber on the road.
I'm looking for a nice set of 19" rims. Which ones did you choose? Would like to stay close to factory offset, and hopefully a lighter rim

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Yea, right? Good point. I got a great deal on a set with a couple thousand miles. Hopefully I can use the tires before they dry rot. lol

IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
Hey could you tell me where you got that nice CTR poster?

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
My stock continentals lasted me around 15k miles. Given that I daily drive and have spirited runs, No track time unfortunately. I ended up going with the 245/30/20 Michelin PS4S, it's only been about 1k on them so far, but crazy as it might sound I kinda miss the contis. I will say the contis where kinda twitchy at times and the PS4S are more predictable and I feel like I have to warm them up.

Now I will save for a set of 18's because I can see how much I roll on my tires when I chalk them up on a run. I need more side wall to have fun without worrying about damaging the wheels.
Personally I would stay away from PS4S if you ever plan to track. These tires overheat real fast and turn to garbage.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The PS4S is such a weird tire to me. It's an expensive summer tire, but it's not fast on track or at autocross. What is it good at? Why should anyone buy it?

If you just want a tire for the street, a set of UHP all seasons (like I have on my CTR) are going to be plenty for anything you can get up to on the road.
You're paying for the brand really. It's a good street tire for those who want to feel fast, but beyond I'd stay far away.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
The PS4S is such a weird tire to me. It's an expensive summer tire, but it's not fast on track or at autocross. What is it good at? Why should anyone buy it?

If you just want a tire for the street, a set of UHP all seasons (like I have on my CTR) are going to be plenty for anything you can get up to on the road.
I put a set on my car, and have no regrets. I don't care how good it is at autocrossing, since I don't autocross this car. I don't care how good it is at track days because I don't do track days in this car. I don't need All-Seasons because I don't live in an area with weather that keeps a Summer tire from being serviceable all year long. I wanted a top-notch street/performance tire to match the handling and braking characteristics of this car, and still get some decent miles out of them. Tell me what is a better tire on the market at satisfying all of these requirements?

And an A/S matching these tires on a cloverleaf or a tight country road? I don't think so.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
You're paying for the brand really. It's a good street tire for those who want to feel fast, but beyond I'd stay far away.
Those that want to "feel fast"?

Somehow I think there was an intended dig on there, just not sure exactly what.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Yes. I replaced mine due to wear. They lasted about 10k and 6 autocross events. I may run them for 1 more autocross event.

I have a second set of the stock tires to swap them with.

In the mean time I am running falken ziex 255/35 R20 on a second set of stock wheels.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Those that want to "feel fast"?

Somehow I think there was an intended dig on there, just not sure exactly what.
They hide mistakes and make you think you're better at driving than you really are.

Well he's driving a proper RWD Subaru BRZ (Toyota 86), which is only slightly slower than the wrong-wheel-drive Type R on the Lightning Lap. So it's not a dig on the car for sure.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/

upload_2019-10-28_23-4-8.png

upload_2019-10-28_23-2-45.png
So what is it a dig at then?

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
The 245/35/20 Falken FK510 tires on stock wheels are an absolute steal looking at the test data and customer reviews. I won’t hesitate to get these when mine wear out.

1528B7E0-7BE0-4424-B017-03F77B85C646.jpeg
I will most likely go for 255/30/20 so to retain the overall diameter. One of my wheels are already bent from a metal plate on the highway so running thicker sidewall is not necessary for me.
Sponsored