OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear?

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Like some others have said, I too went with ps4s tires. I kept the oem wheels and went with a slightly wider tire. 255/30/20 ps4s.
The main reason I got the wider ones was because they were on sale for a pinch over $900 for four. I figured that was a good deal on the ps4s tires.
I drive a 2017 and swapped my oem set out at 11k miles.
Sponsored

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Lol, they do not grip well at all, once you compare them to a much better tire. They're the weakest link of the entire suspension setup the CTR has. They're alright if you don't push your car hard... but then it's kind of a waste to buy a CTR for handling, but you don't overly push it. To each their own, I suppose. I'm not hating, but pretty much any car under 50k USD has budget tires on them. Manufacturers try to balance everything from comfort, road noise, dry handling, wet handling, wear, price point, etc to fit as wide a group of vehicle purchasers as possible. I often feel like tires are the very last decision made on a car- they have everything figured out and then go "oh, shoot... we still need tires!" and find whatever option fits the car's remaining budget.

Treadwear ratings are misleading, also. Scientifically, It's inaccurate. I had sets of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11As on a few of my past cars and they also came with a lower, 200TW rating... and yet on two different sets, on two different cars, I was able to get way more mileage out of them than these OEM Continentals with a higher tread rating. Also, Michelin PS4S tires are rated at a 300TW rating... and yet they are warrantied to last 3 times as long as the OEM Continentals. How does that make any sense, lol? All I'm saying is don't put too much faith in that number.
Oh, I definitely don't put any stock into varying manufacturer's treadwear ratings. You have Continental with 240TW which (like you said) are significantly worse than MPS4S with 300TW. And then there are the AutoX/NASA street class "cheater" tires with 200TW but the same grip levels as a DOT slick.

And in terms of grip, yes there are certainly better tires, but again, for my $400 net cost for 4 tires, I don't know that there's anything that will even fit the OEM wheels, much less that will be close to the performance of the stock Contis (yes, they aren't great, but I can't imagine how badly a $100/ea tire for our 20" wheels would perform).

Now, if I was shelling out full price for a set of tires for the OEM wheels, I would never consider the stock Contis. It would be between the RE-71, MPS4S, or MPSC2.

VashR547

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
My tires lasted 20k km (~12.5k miles) with 2 track days. I wanted to use every last shred of tire before I swapped because I knew it was inevitably coming up. I dropped to 18s and bought some 265/35 9.5 Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs and holy, the OEMs are in no comparison to these (obviously). Couldn't be happier with my decision as with the rim and tire package it was only a couple hundred dollars more than buying brand new OEMs on the 20s. Sorry I'm not the best photographer.

Do it.

Which rims are those? And how much were they?

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Superspeed RF05RRs, they are a company here in Canada. I think they were just over 800CDN but I got a deal cause I bought tires with them.

2018ChampwhiteCTR

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic type r; 2014 Honda Pilot; 2001 Honda prelude
Country flag
Anyone go up in sidewall and run 245/35/20?? I’ve heard from another R owner that did this and had positive results. Also allows me to run Bridgestone potenzas. Which just like a previous poster said I have run previous on other vehicles and had nothing but good reviews. The bridge stones also are all-season which the car being my daily would be preferable.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Anyone go up in sidewall and run 245/35/20?? I’ve heard from another R owner that did this and had positive results. Also allows me to run Bridgestone potenzas. Which just like a previous poster said I have run previous on other vehicles and had nothing but good reviews. The bridge stones also are all-season which the car being my daily would be preferable.
I didn't go with a thicker percentage of sidewall but my sidewalls were thicker since I went with 255/30/20.
I think it added a bit more cushion.

Zachrael

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I'm turning over 10k this weekend on my new 2019, picked it up at the end of June IIRC, 0 miles. Man, I've driven a lot in 4 months. I'm thinking about dropping down to 18s for the winter though. These tires are about shot though.

HONDA X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
My CTR has approximately 18k miles on the original continentals. All 4 tires are up to the wear bars and I will be replacing them with a set of BF Goodrich in the stock CTR tire sizing. I plan to keep the CTR wheels on this car for a long time because I currently like the way the car feels with the oem CTR wheels.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Recommended. 245/35/20 makes better ride and reduces wheel-well gap.

MstrSHAKE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CW CTR
Country flag
1800 miles.

Well, due to multiple punctures in the tire. One of those punctures being from something that looked like a box cutter blade.

Car has 1800 miles. 3 different total nails/punctures...

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
pushing 22k miles on the original tires. One repaired puncture and one AutoX event. Last I measured i'm around 4/32nds.

Already got a set of low mileage take-offs from other owners ready to go.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I have been planning this for a bit but I have awhile until I replace mine.

I'm going with RE71r's on the OEM wheels.
Have the RE 71r's on my 78 911 SC and also on my 944 turbo S track car. Great tire! That's what I'm going to go with when my tires on my 2019 CTR wear out

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
100% agree that downsizing on wheels is a solid choice.
I went for 245/35ZR19 when I switched to all-seasons (daily driver used in the NC winters). 30 profiles are too damn slim for real roads, IMO. Next set I’m getting 255/35ZR19 to put a tiny bit more rubber on the road.

sosoye

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R, S2000, Turbo Miata
Country flag
Im at 18k miles and still have tread left. :dunno:

looking at the falken azenis fk510 for daily tires and probably go for ps4s when I get aftermarket 18s/19s

EFEM1FB6FK8

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8, 2018 FK7 Sport Touring, 73 Mazda RX2
Country flag
My stock continentals lasted me around 15k miles. Given that I daily drive and have spirited runs, No track time unfortunately. I ended up going with the 245/30/20 Michelin PS4S, it's only been about 1k on them so far, but crazy as it might sound I kinda miss the contis. I will say the contis where kinda twitchy at times and the PS4S are more predictable and I feel like I have to warm them up.

Now I will save for a set of 18's because I can see how much I roll on my tires when I chalk them up on a run. I need more side wall to have fun without worrying about damaging the wheels.
Sponsored