DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
UPDATE: This thing sucks. See post #33 of this thread by me for details. I don’t recommend you buy this.

I have been looking at this aftermarket wireless TPMS system for a while, because the OEM TPMS only warns you once the PSI has gone below the low threshold (i.e., no advance warning) and even then you have to check each tire (or guess which tire is low on air). This system, however, will continuously show you the instantaneous PSI and temperature for each tire - takes away the guesses.

Basically, you screw on an external sensor to each tire valve stem (see picture), and hardwire the display unit (see picture) into the fuse box, and voila, you are done. As you might expect, the sensor is significantly larger than the regular black valve cap, and it is silver. They kind of blend into the background from 10-15 feet away if your wheels are silver or gunmetal IMHO, but I am not sure how they would look with OEM black/red wheels. But they also sell a unit with sensors that go inside the wheels, and I might end up with that.

What's neat to me is that the display unit fits perfectly into the blank switch space next to the traction control button (see picture). It's actually designed that way for a near-OEM look. Just make sure you buy the system that is specifically for a Honda to ensure fit.

So, I have installed the external sensors and the display unit, but I haven't had a chance to hardwire the display unit to the fuse box. I have to make a run to Harbor Freight for soldering supplies before I do the install. Once I have installed this (and have run it for a while), I will update this thread. It is a neat concept; let's hope it actually works well.

Here is the link: https://amzn.to/2LqXuz0

Honda Civic 10th gen DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) AmazonSRNST Honda Civic 10th gen DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Tire Valve Honda Civic 10th gen DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) TPMS Interface

Last edited:

SBD47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Honda CR-V
Country flag
Looking forward to your updates! Finally, something to put in one of those blank spots that is useful. Let us know how it works. If the system works well, I’d be tempted to order the internal sensor system and have them installed at my next tire rotation.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
That's pretty good. I can't imagine using the external sensors, though. Such an instrument would necessarily depress the schreader valve to access the air pressure, and so you are going to lose air constantly. I used to see this all the time when people would install the valve stem caps that would turn red when the pressure went too low. Also, that cap looks huge and probably heavy. I don't know if I would like that whipping around on the end of a rubber valve stem.

willimo

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Civic, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Also, I always get anxious when people bust out solder and wire. Hondas have hot in on and hot at all times sockets in the underdash fuse box for accessory installation. They are usually spots that look like they take a single pin connector next to the rows of fuses. Use a multimeter to find if its hot in on or hot at all times and a simple female spade connector will slide onto the pin and give you the power you need. Then just hook ground up with a loop connector around a ground bolt (there will be like 1000 oem black wires all bolted to chassis somewhere near the fusebox).

OP
OP
Mick the Quick

Mick the Quick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Civic Type R (R-08508)
Country flag
Also, I always get anxious when people bust out solder and wire. Hondas have hot in on and hot at all times sockets in the underdash fuse box for accessory installation. They are usually spots that look like they take a single pin connector next to the rows of fuses. Use a multimeter to find if its hot in on or hot at all times and a simple female spade connector will slide onto the pin and give you the power you need. Then just hook ground up with a loop connector around a ground bolt (there will be like 1000 oem black wires all bolted to chassis somewhere near the fusebox).

I’m just soldering the red wire from the display to an Add-a-Fuse. Thanks for the advice, though.

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
can our CTR wheels be equipped with internal TPMS sensor? If so, can someone link compatible one?

I'm getting sorta annoyed by the stock indirect one being overly too sensitive. Had 1 came up going to my destination, and another coming home from destination.

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have this installed.
Plugs into the obd2 port, and used the abs sensors.

Works well.

I considered ones similar to the OPs, using sensors on the valve stems. But seemed like a hassle down the road with battery replacements and people taking them off ‍♂

Honda Civic 10th gen DON’T BUY This Aftermarket Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) A78B4F59-8FB8-4524-9DA0-B6A14540C47A

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I have this installed.

Works well.

I considered ones similar to the OPs, using sensors on the valve stems. But seemed like a hassle down the road with battery replacements and people taking them off ‍♂

A78B4F59-8FB8-4524-9DA0-B6A14540C47A.jpeg
That looks soo good @Andjoo Does it change colors gradually like Gran Turismo? lol. Link to this one you have?

Ultimately I think one with PSI reading is more important for me. My issue yesterday was I think because I drove longer than I usually do and it inflated all 4 tires by +3 PSI...
The one OP linked apparently has an internal version, but the product pic doesn't show the direct TPMS units (there are pics on the product description though), so I'm not sure if anyone has pics of theirs. The price difference between internal and external is less than $10, so I had to be sure what they're providing here...

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
On the subject of internal vs external sensors, there are pros and cons to both. External sensors will press up on the valve and slowly release air and may be less accurate, they do allow you to quickly swap between LF, RF, LR, RR pretty painlessly though. Internal sensors won't release air over time and may be more accurate, but swapping LF, RF, LR, and RR requires you to dismount the tire and swap the sensors around manually (unless they can be reprogramed). The inability to swap LF, RF, LR, and RR becomes problematic during tire rotations.

I have this installed.

Works well.

A78B4F59-8FB8-4524-9DA0-B6A14540C47A.jpeg
Link?

Andjoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - CW #19431
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On the subject of internal vs external sensors, there are pros and cons to both. External sensors will press up on the valve and slowly release air and may be less accurate, they do allow you to quickly swap between LF, RF, LR, RR pretty painlessly though. Internal sensors won't release air over time and may be more accurate, but swapping LF, RF, LR, and RR requires you to dismount the tire and swap the sensors around manually (unless they can be reprogramed). The inability to swap LF, RF, LR, and RR becomes problematic during tire rotations.

Link?
OBD TPMS Honda Civic CRV Accord HRV - CanadaTom https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B079CFQG3T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_E1PQCbV1PB7F8

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag