2. Aftermarket HID

45.8%
  1. Rubb3rDuckyz

Rubb3rDuckyz New Member

First Name:
    Duy
    Car(s):
    2018 Honda Civic Si
    Hey guys, I just wanted to get some feedback on your experience with the oem leds and/or aftermarket hids. My '18 Si came stock with the halogens but I really love the look the oem leds give. After doing some research, I saw that other people were saying that they aren't that good and it looks like a hassle to remove the bumper. So I have been looking into hids instead but I am completely new to car modding and there are so many that I have no clue where to even begin. Any help or input would be appreciated.

2. FK7 Civic Pilot

FK7 Civic Pilot Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback
    The OEM factory led is really good, but if you’re going aftermarket and keeping the projector headlight housing, hids are better from what I’ve seen. I’ve been running a set of Apexcone 35 watt from ddmHID.com, was pretty much a plug and play installation. Lifetime warranty.
    Only negative is the prices have jumped significantly, when I bought them in 2018 they were only $38, they now go for $99.
    Originally tried a set of leds, while they were bright, the throw pattern and distance was no better than stock ( sucked ) and the fans were surprisingly noisy.

3. KYRGYZ

KYRGYZ Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic LX, 2018 Nissan Rogue Sport, 2014 Tesla Model S85
    Early LED headlights suck, they don't have much light output... newer once are better... but good HIDs will always be much brighter

4. frankiefrankie

Forklift driver
    First Name:
    Frank
    Car(s):
    2016 Honda Civic
  5. n9yty

n9yty Senior Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
    I think $119 now.

6. silverrascal

silverrascal Senior Member

Car(s):
    2019 Honda Civic EX hatchback
    The OEM LED headlamps offer premium looks and decent performance but at a high price point. And apparently they still give off glare so that some oncoming drivers will flash you.

HIDs are great for their light output and throw. For the price, aftermarket HIDs are tough to beat. They do have a slight warm up time and sometimes you’ll read about the bulbs burning out prematurely or whatever but that's on the rare side.

Aftermarket LEDs are all the craze. They're the least expensive option in most cases and super easy plug and play. Output can be a mixed bag but I personally use the Katana 12000 lumen bulbs and they are very good. Many use a fan to mitigate heat buildup and can be noisy. I can definitely hear mine when the engine isn't running. The right LEDs are brighter than stock halogen, instant on and inexpensive compared to HIDs.

7. xaviersayys

xaviersayys Xavier

First Name:
    Xavier
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic EX-T
    Has anyone who's been running HID's for a while notice a heat spot or something in their headlights? On my old pair of housings, that I ran HID's on, I noticed a spot within the lens, on the inside. I'll take a pic when I can. I have a new pair of housings on and am concerned of if I switch back to HID's, the same thing will happen since they get super hot. I also have these lights wrapped and would be concerned about the heat possibly messing that up?

8. FK7 Civic Pilot

FK7 Civic Pilot Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback
    How much wattage are you running? This is what mine look like with the 35 watt kit. Headlight housing is 3 years old on a daily driver, with 2 years on the hids.

5161FAFB-D557-4D59-B30B-D5874455A20D.jpegFA123982-589F-4118-86FA-52D9CB5F5A65.jpegOD2559355-AB79-4900-BB0B-69C1B521238D.jpeg6B8D716C-6A1C-4983-95E4-99810D518E47.jpeg

9. xaviersayys

xaviersayys Xavier

First Name:
    Xavier
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic EX-T
    I could have sworn I was a 35 watt.. I may try again just to see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn’t do that again.