Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I don't have much experience with Kydex, other than owning a hybrid holster. With it being a bit temperature sensitive, would these breaking be something to worry about in cold areas?
That's a good question - I'm not that familiar with it myself. Like any plastic, I'm sure it gets more brittle in the cold, but I don't know how it compares to alternatives.
Not sure either at this moment, but something that I will inquiry. Some of these are used for outdoor (aircraft, as I mentioned) equipment. I assume some range of acceptable temperatures between melting point (upward of <300F) and freezing point (currently unknown).

I prefer not to have more faux carbon fiber on the car and prefer something like our fender vents but I am not picky.

I work and live in Richardson, TX. So i am definitely down to help with testing.
I don't disagree with ya. I do think this might look good since it continues the CF pattern line from the side skirt towards the wheel wheel. Obviously our fake side vents is more like the regular hairline textured plastic, so not having it look like the fake CF is good too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Actually... Leslie brought up a good point. How many actually cares for the faux CF texture on these rock guards? I haven't heard from my supplier yet, but if textures don't matter to most, I can just continue with that thought. I may have a grander selection online and offline to look for (simple texture) rather than a specific supplier.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
Actually... Leslie brought up a good point. How many actually cares for the faux CF texture on these rock guards? I haven't heard from my supplier yet, but if textures don't matter to most, I can just continue with that thought. I may have a grander selection online and offline to look for (simple texture) rather than a specific supplier.
I'd be ok with no texture. This car already has plenty of little details (not saying they are bad) but I don't think the detail on the guard would be necessary imo. :)

SGP-R

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I'd be ok with no texture. This car already has plenty of little details (not saying they are bad) but I don't think the detail on the guard would be necessary imo. :)
Yeah, I don't really care about the texture either. If it serves its purpose, I'll be happy.

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
Yeah the carbon texture itself doesn't add a lot for me probably. It's not bad, but I also wouldn't want to pay extra just to have it.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Just bought the first candidate plastic sheet that is ABS-based. Should arrive on Wednesday. Let's hope I don't have to go through too many rounds of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Hi all,
I need to start quantifying the interested parties. Can you please put your name in this Google Sheet? So far I've only been posting this information on CivicX, but I may start asking some FB groups I'm in (mostly Texas groups). That's why you see that "How you hear about this?" column. Thanks, everyone.

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
Do you have a target price? I'd say that will impact genuine interest about as much as anything.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Do you have a target price? I'd say that will impact genuine interest about as much as anything.
Comparing to ZL1Addon's cost for a similar class car (Focus RS), I'm currently targeting $65 + shipping for this forum. Also just so everyone is aware, I am only providing the rock guard plastic by themselves with pre-drilled holes, no automotive molding tape for the rear rock guards.

I am also going to de-emphasize the 'adjustability' factor as a sales pitch. It compromises the look a bit too much if we're going to use OEM screw/fastener locations. Rally Armor is very capable of doing oblong-shape pre-drilled holes because they use a bracket system. I may still try some things, but currently leaning towards not selling it like that anymore.

P.S.: If there are really folks who prefer front only rock guards, do mention that on the Google Sheet (added the proper column). I might just go ahead and sell them as a pair for $40 + shipping.

Last edited:

DuneShoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '16 Tacoma
Country flag
Where would the tape need to be added on the rears?
Also I assume that hardware thats already on the car will be used to hold these flaps?

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Where would the tape need to be added on the rears?
Also I assume that hardware thats already on the car will be used to hold these flaps?
So for the rear, the first OEM screw placement already quite high, and the 2nd screw is even higher above. My guard will only be secured by the first screw. I recommend that you go with extra security with a molding tape so it can contour better to the arch. Automotive molding tape is less the $4 on Amazon (don't buy from AutoZone)
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-17_10-7-41

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-17_10-7-15

Above is a pic without the tape.

DuneShoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '16 Tacoma
Country flag
I watched a review of some flaps. He used tape on the lower rear and it eventually didn’t hold once rain hit it.

I’d prefer bolts or screws especially in a hot climate.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I watched a review of some flaps. He used tape on the lower rear and it eventually didn’t hold once rain hit it.

I’d prefer bolts or screws especially in a hot climate.
That's certainly your choice. Unlike mud flaps, my rock guard design for the rear is thinner in width and about 1/16" in thickness. There shouldn't be too much pull back once they are 'sticked' to the fender. Also people use heat to make shapes with ABS plastic, making holsters for guns/knives/tools. I think heat should only help shape to the curve rather than trying to go back to straight piece. I am also recommending something like fender U clips. Depending of the type of metal, it should be strong enough to clip your fender and the guard together without having to drill for additional screws.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-17_11-16-25

Obviously get it in black if you're OCD
Sponsored