Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Trust me, I'd like to get this going as soon as I can myself. I'm already tapping into my main office job hours doing R&D. I'm going to a plastic supplier tomorrow to look at some products. Hopefully I can stick to my intentions of giving you all an update this weekend.
If you need an extra set of hands, let me know. I'm in the Frisco/Plano area.
Sponsored

scottjua

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Subaru STI, 2019 SGP Civic Type R
Country flag
Ditto... I'm also local in Plano

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
CLARIFICATIONS FOR THE 'ADJUSTABILITY' OF MY ROCK GUARD
The adjustable 'settings' for my rock guard will vary by about .5". This is because of how much surface area within the fender arch where the screws are located and how much sliding in/out can work before exposing the screw holes. There will be pre-drilled oblong-shaped holes where OEM screws are located, that will allow you to slide the rock guard in for minimalism or out for protection (not up or down). I want to mimic what RA (Rally Armor) is doing with theirs without the use of a bracket system. Right now this is where I stand on this 'adjustability' factor.

UPDATE ON MATERIAL
Finding a suitable plastic material in large sheet form has been quite a challenge. I have 2 simplistic preference for what I want: flexibility and a textured (hairline) finish. I can see now why RA resort to the shiny finish material. Most of the ones I have found (in large dimension) so far only offers the texture only on 1 side, and the other side being semi-shiny smooth. If you guys think I'm being a little too nit-picky on this, let me know? I have my own reasoning for why I want textured, and it is easier to hide dirt and blemishes; similar to textured walls at your home.

When I visited a plastic supply shop today, I learn about a company called Boltaron. They make kydex thermoplastic material that is used to make gun holsters and aircraft parts. I saw someone recommending Kydex here, so thanks for the info. With this company, they at least have texture options, which lead me to finding this on their website...
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-10_20-26-30

I would like to get this as the material for my rock guard. I believe if we have to resort to having a mis-match of texture and non-texture sides, might as well pick one that looks pretty to look at, and this just so happen, matches our faux CF. I'm getting a price quote on Monday for this style of texture as well as the hairline texture finish plastic sheet. If I find the faux CF texture meets my budget (and my goal for price), then I might just get this one. Otherwise, we're looking into just the regular, hairline texture finish.

Some questions if you decide to reply to this update:
1. Which textured look would you go for? Do you even care?
2. Is having a texture and a non-texture (smooth) side going to bother you? It at least bother me because I don't know which side I would recommend to use for rock impact. I got some card size samples from the shop in different colors. I'll try to beat them up this week and see how they turn out.

That's all I have for this week.

P.S.: Local NTX folks, I might take you up for help and being guinea pigs. Thanks for extending help. If something comes up, I'll let you know soon. I want to at least make sure the 2017 and 2018 model aren't pulling a fast one on me and have different screw placements...

Last edited:

fk8-24179

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic SI; 2019 CTR
Country flag
I would prefer the textured side facing up and out from the wheel/ground while having the non-textured side facing the wheel and taking the pebble hits.

SGP-R

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
Country flag
2. Is having a texture and a non-texture (smooth) side going to bother you?
1. I like the idea of CF, but I'm cool with either.
2. I think having the textured side getting hit my the rocks makes the most sense. If it's not going to stay smooth, why start smooth?

DuneShoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR, '16 Tacoma
Country flag
I'm ready for a set ASAP :)
CF would be nice but black would also work.

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
Another vote for smooth side facing the wheel - it's going to get all beat up so there is no sense in having the "pretty" side facing the wheel.

Curious about the Kydex thickness - a lot of that stuff is less than 1/10th of an inch (which is super thin). Seems like we'd probably be looking for something that's closer to 1/8" maybe?

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
Another vote for smooth side facing the wheel - it's going to get all beat up so there is no sense in having the "pretty" side facing the wheel.

Curious about the Kydex thickness - a lot of that stuff is less than 1/10th of an inch (which is super thin). Seems like we'd probably be looking for something that's closer to 1/8" maybe?
Will have to determine once I feel it myself. My test ABS was 1/16" (or 0.0625") and it's flexible enough while not feeling like it's going to break easily, but this Boltaron kydex sample I got is the same thickness but not as flexible. I want a decent enough flex so the automotive molding to support rear guards can do its job better so I might go lower in thickness just so slightly. Thankfully I have options.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-12_22-42-52
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-12_22-43-23

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
I want a decent enough flex so the automotive molding to support rear guards can do its job better so I might go lower in thickness just so slightly. Thankfully I have options.
upload_2019-5-12_22-42-52.png
upload_2019-5-12_22-43-23.png
Cool - one nice thing about Kydex is that you can heat it and it softens, and it'll hold shape well - so it can easily conform to the arch of the wheel well to the extent that's necessary, even if it's less flexible cool.

SGP-R

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Cool - one nice thing about Kydex is that you can heat it and it softens, and it'll hold shape well - so it can easily conform to the arch of the wheel well to the extent that's necessary, even if it's less flexible cool.
I don't have much experience with Kydex, other than owning a hybrid holster. With it being a bit temperature sensitive, would these breaking be something to worry about in cold areas?

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
I don't have much experience with Kydex, other than owning a hybrid holster. With it being a bit temperature sensitive, would these breaking be something to worry about in cold areas?
That's a good question - I'm not that familiar with it myself. Like any plastic, I'm sure it gets more brittle in the cold, but I don't know how it compares to alternatives.

_leslietu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 S14 & '19 CW CTR
Country flag
Some questions if you decide to reply to this update:
2. Is having a texture and a non-texture (smooth) side going to bother you? It at least bother me because I don't know which side I would recommend to use for rock impact. I got some card size samples from the shop in different colors. I'll try to beat them up this week and see how they turn out.
I prefer not to have more faux carbon fiber on the car and prefer something like our fender vents but I am not picky.

I work and live in Richardson, TX. So i am definitely down to help with testing.
Sponsored