First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
  • Banned
Hi there! Welcome to my thread, for the custom-made rock guards for the Civic Type R. I am about to possibly start the next production run, but you have the keys to the ignition. I am asking to see if there are still plenty of people interest in a low-cost rock guard solution. Since I started this project a few months ago, I have made close to a hundred rock guards for people in the CivicX forum and the FB group, Civic FK8 Type R Owners. I'm willing to make more as long as there is still high demands for them.

A production run usually makes about 40 set of rock guards, so there's a large availability there for anybody to secure a set. I do require a $5-$10 deposit in order to get raw supplies. Take this as a commitment fee and it'll go towards the final payment.

The cost for the rock guards will be $60 + shipping, with a chance to go lower to $55 + shipping when I surpass 30 orders. International orders have also been expanded. Due to successful international deliveries to Canada, Australia, England and Hong Kong, I gained some confidence in shipping to these countries. They are still very expensive, but I'm willing to work with you for a cheaper solution that usually comes with no benefits such as insurance.

Here are some photos by me and my customers: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mzUNMS56LptvvhGf9.

For more information of my rock guards, please check post #2 below for an archive of my old write up. Feel free to shoot me any questions via reply, DM, or email ([email protected]).

Order link: https://forms.gle/3oQFrDb9Zk1TV3oB9

Have a great day.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-2_16-30-47

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-2_16-31-4

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-2_16-31-22

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-2_16-31-45

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-2_16-31-58

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-2_16-32-16

Last edited:
OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
  • Banned
BACKGROUND
Since owning the CTR this year, I've been on a lookout for a product to protect the paint around my wheels from splashing rocks and debris. As some of you owners may know, road noise is ridiculously noticeable. It stresses me out when I hear something that sounds like something just chipped/cratered into my paint.

I know Rally Armor finally makes one for our cars, but I really don't think the 'rally' flappy look matches the look of the CTR, but to each their own. I found a company in San Diego that makes rock guard pieces for Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, etc. and been trying to reach them about making one, but that didn't pan out. There is a fabricator here in the forum that makes a carbon fiber version that looks really nice. Unfortunately the maker doesn't have any plan to make lower cost, non-CF pieces at this time of writing. Also, it is currently more expensive than RA's, granted that it's a material that apparently is more sought after by most.

For me, I define my needs for a set of rock guards (no longer calling them mud flaps from this point on) that are:
- Minimalistic, looking as close to Honda would provide as possible.
- Low cost and maintenance. Something that you won't cry about if the piece breaks going over bumps, during auto-cross, etc.
- Material that matches the OEM plastic. Existing OEM screws and locations. No drilling. I know people are scared of that (me too).

R&D - INITIAL DESIGN AND RESEARCHING
There are a few people in this forum that have made their own, so there are definitely inspirations to gather from; I see these as a small taste of owners' desired preference towards the design and function. I did many measurements on my own car using 11x17 papers and cardboard cutouts; making several iterations that would mount securely onto the wheel arch. I determine that >15" is a decent amount of surface area to cover. It's about 2/3 the height of the OEM wheels. The flair is about 1" over an existing fastener. The flap I call 'the hanging ear-lobe' is about 1", which shouldn't catch on to anything (I believe the flap for our front spoiler is still lower to the ground than this) I secure the rock guards with the OEM screws. Again, this is something that I highly desire. I don't like bracket systems or anything that require drilling additional holes.
- For the front arches, the rock guard piece extends over 3 OEM screw locations and 1 OEM fastener at the very top. I converted the fastener location with an adapter and use approximately the same OEM screw from AutoZone to better secure the piece.
upload_2019-5-2_16-30-47.png
upload_2019-5-2_16-31-4.png
upload_2019-5-2_16-31-22.png

- For the rear arches, there is 1 screw that secures the rear bumper and 1 further up that secures the rear fender. Since I only have 1 screw location to reasonably work with, I additionally secure my rock guard piece with automotive molding tape. The result is as shown. My testing so far over 1 week is holding on pretty well. It's been raining a lot here since I put them on and it doesn't look like they're peeling.
upload_2019-5-2_16-31-45.png
upload_2019-5-2_16-31-58.png
upload_2019-5-2_16-32-16.png

PUDDLE TEST TODAY (05/08/19)
Also, if any others are wondering/have concerns about how the rear guards hold up with only 1 screw + molding tape holding them, I drove through massive side puddles today during heavy rain and they weren't moving/detaching. We're talking about the puddle that activate your traction control when you go through it too fast.

I think it helps for the rear to have a balance protrusion going outward facing and inward facing towards the wheel well.

FURTHER R&D
I would like the ability for my rock guards to slide horizontally. I think this is best to give flexibility in making the alignment look just right to my taste between the left and the right side of the car. Making precision screw holes for 1 side of the car, unfortunately doesn't mean it looks 100% as correct on the other side; definitely something that has to be eyeballed.

The bonus factor of having the rock guards to slide horizontally is that I can adjust how much flair I want. Do I want more protection? Let's extend/pull them out a bit. Do I want a minimalistic look? Push them inward.

Some small tweaks here and there...

Pics of the rock guards with the actual plastic material
upload_2019-4-30_20-18-27.png
upload_2019-4-30_20-20-12.png

upload_2019-4-30_20-19-10.png
upload_2019-4-30_20-19-40.png

PROPOSAL
Now to the main reason for this post. With there being little market to this product for the CTR, I would like to enter the arena of being a provider for this product. Working on this project had been a fun and exciting side project. Also, with enough resources and interest from fellow owners, I am committed to be able to provide my set of rock guards to the 25,000 CTRs out there (a stretch, I know). I do want to start small, this is my first endevour into this. I dream big but I think it's important for me to stay small (for now) in order to maintain confidence in what I can and cannot do/provide.

What I am proposing is to make a full set of adjustable CTR Rock Guards based on what I have made. I wanted to do this based on your input and number of interest. I want to start with a workable, small volume/request that I can provide to this forum's members, something managable. I would say 10 is a realistic goal to start?

Depending on how this post is received via comments, I can start a Google Form on the next step. I haven't really give much thought to the price or anything else; just that I want to sell them as a full set. I'm too anxious about whether this is gonna take off for now or not.

Q&A
Q: Why not just provide a method/template on how you make the rock guards?
A: This is something that I've thought about as frustration on getting another to build this product never came into fruition. My thought is that there are people out there that demands for it but don't have the time nor the resources to make their own. I pretty much just completed that process and can only see myself as the shortcut to the time and resource that YOU don't/may not have. I don't want people to necessary throw their money away, but at the same time, I understand that there is a need for something and that need can be fulfilled in a timely manner, with little to no logistics on your part. Everyone can make pizza if they want to, but would you want to? The recipes are out there, no?

Q: Why not just do PPF on the car?
A: I'll let the masses answer this. PPF isn't exactly cheap. Although I did do it on my full front out of stress of daily driving, these high impact areas are going to take a beating regardless.

RANDOM PICS
Better 'beauty' shots will be taken soon. It's been raining left and right here.

*This post may be edited as I see fit for corrections and clarity.

Last edited:

Rowwwel_808

First Name
Roel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey! I’ve totally been looking for something that protects but isn’t very noticeable. I don’t really like the look of RallyArmor mudflaps either. Depending on price, I’d totally be interested. I’ve been thinking about getting ZL1 Addons rock guards but they’re around 80$ for the set. I might as well get the universal rally armor ones and cut them out. But I’ve been very hesitant. Let me know what you end up deciding!

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
RA front flaps not much different than your mock up. Even with a wider wheel, lower offset, and much more poke, they’re super protective and low profile. Also side slotted so you can increase or decrease side protrusion.

I don’t run the rears because of your reasons, but also because the car is front wheel drive, so back wheels don’t throw debris. Cheap, easy, painless. YMMV.

Last edited:

Morning Mahogany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R
Country flag
All the good looking carbon fiber rock guards available are too small to offer the protection my car needs. It’s unfortunate but when it comes to rock guards, size & cosmetic appearance is always working against each other.

brackin.fk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interested, depending on price and quality!

bouford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 AP1/18 FK8/19 CV2
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
we only have two options for rock/mud protection so good job making your own.

i have one auto-x season on my old skoo fab carbon fiber rock guards and have ZERO rock chips...
here is what i'm up against in our loose asphalt ridden paddock and grid at aloha stadium :D
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards mydori

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
  • Banned
Thanks for your responses, guys! :)

Hey! I’ve totally been looking for something that protects but isn’t very noticeable. I don’t really like the look of RallyArmor mudflaps either. Depending on price, I’d totally be interested. I’ve been thinking about getting ZL1 Addons rock guards but they’re around 80$ for the set. I might as well get the universal rally armor ones and cut them out. But I’ve been very hesitant. Let me know what you end up deciding!
That's exactly what my experience has been. I had asked them to make one for our CTR but asked for the price point of the Accord that they made already. Looking at what they charge + the rather costly shipping charge, I think that was part of my reasoning to bail out with working with them.

RA front flaps not much different than your mock up. Even with a wider wheel, lower offset, and much more poke, they’re super protective and low profile. Also side slotted so you can increase or decrease side protrusion.

I don’t run the rears because of your reasons, but also because the car is front wheel drive, so back wheels don’t throw debris. Cheap, easy, painless. YMMV.
Hi, thanks for making the comparison with RA, it's a much needed input for those who might be interested. I believe with mine, the most minimal protrusion that RA provides will the maximum of mine. My version would be able to tucked in more to reach the minimalist approach I'm going for. I'm thinking about .5" of flexibility to slide in and out.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards upload_2019-5-3_13-25-43

As for the need of the rear to be protected... I'll leave it to the consensus when I do the Google Form survey. Thank you again for that insight.

All the good looking carbon fiber rock guards available are too small to offer the protection my car needs. It’s unfortunate but when it comes to rock guards, size & cosmetic appearance is always working against each other.
That is true and hopefully I can meet somewhere in the middle and leave it up to the users. I can at least assure the height of coverage. Like I mention in the original post, my rock guards should cover 2/3 the wheel height from the ground.

Interested, depending on price and quality!
To be determined :) Thank you for your interested. I'll try and be reasonable. As for quality, mine is not like RA's. The type of plastic I use is close to what is used in standard automotive industry. Think of those plastic cutting mats for your kitchen but thicker (0.3"), slightly more textured, and black. It's flexible enough to contour the wheel arch and sticky enough for molding tape.

we only have two options for rock/mud protection so good job making your own.

i have one auto-x season on my old skoo fab carbon fiber rock guards and have ZERO rock chips...
here is what i'm up against in our loose asphalt ridden paddock and grid at aloha stadium :D
mydori.jpg
Hey Bouford, thanks! Nice seeing you here on my own thread lol. I know you rock the CF one by oldskoolfab, so it's cool you took notice. I definitely took some inspiration of the minimalist approach that he had done to make his :). I don't think I'll be auto-crossing my R any time soon, but if people really want to test mine against intense driving, they can let me know here :) I'm sure they'll hold up though. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't.

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
I'll be interested once I get new wheels. I'm not a fan of the RA, way too flappy looking for me. I'm definitely a minimalist when it comes to rock guards/mud flaps. As of now the ones I have my eyes on are from ZL1 and are for a Focus RS. You look like you have a great product going and look forward to hearing more about it!

Rasy

First Name
Rasy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW #15337
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Interested! Basically checked all the boxes in what I’m looking for: not overly big, minimal, non-cf.

Basically closer to an OEM option we never got.

SGP-R

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sonic Gray Pearl CTR '19 #26529, '17 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks for your responses, guys! :)

To be determined :) Thank you for your interested. I'll try and be reasonable. As for quality, mine is not like RA's.
You know I'm down to be in the first batch!

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
This week, I'll try and figure out some additional logistics like materials and shipping cost.

fk8-24179

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Civic SI; 2019 CTR
Country flag
I’d be interested depending on pricing as well, thanks for your work!
Sponsored