Rated-R

First Name
Yohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R, 2014 MB C63 AMG, 2002 IS300
Country flag
You already know I am in! Specially with that material we found ;)
Sponsored

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
Jumping on to follow - I think my personal preference would be for something even a little more subtle than your cardboard there - something that just barely hangs below the side skirt (like a few mm's) and about flush to the outside edge of the skirt. Mostly trying to protect from the trajectory that would kick through the area exposed above the side skirt next to the body panel (the red area below)

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards Skirt

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
I’ve seen this on other car forums with owners that don’t like the looks of the RA flaps but there’s really no middle ground as either you want protection from road debris or you don’t. Mud flaps aren’t a cosmetic mod so if you don’t like the looks of the ones that actually protect your paint then you may as well not bother. That said it can never hurt to have more options.

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
I’ve seen this on other car forums with owners that don’t like the looks of the RA flaps but there’s really no middle ground as either you want protection from road debris or you don’t. Mud flaps aren’t a cosmetic mod so if you don’t like the looks of the ones that actually protect your paint then you may as well not bother. That said it can never hurt to have more options.
Not sure I follow the logic there - seems to me given the various available launch trajectories a rock off the tire, every tiny addition will incrementally improve (decrease) the amount of potential damage, without ever getting 100% protection - Even the widest, biggest mud flaps aren't capable of protecting your car if you're drifting through gravel. The whole concept is incremental improvement.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM-inspired, Minimalist, Adjustable CTR Rock Guards hyundai-wrc-rally-car-chucking-up-gravel-B3GB9E

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
Not sure I follow the logic there - seems to me given the various available launch trajectories a rock off the tire, every tiny addition will incrementally improve (decrease) the amount of potential damage, without ever getting 100% protection - Even the widest, biggest mud flaps aren't capable of protecting your car if you're drifting through gravel. The whole concept is incremental improvement.

hyundai-wrc-rally-car-chucking-up-gravel-B3GB9E.jpg
By your logic they should come out with clear bras that cover 4" of the hood rather than 1/3 or full coverage because "incremental improvement". o_O As I said before you either want to protect your car or you don't. "Incremental improvement" is adding the ugliness of any sort of mudflap for minimal gains. It's just one of those areas where you have to fully commit or leave as-is or you end up in the middle where you are getting the negatives of having the mudflap look without the positives of solid paint protection coverage. It's like on the M2 forums where they do a group buy on these nice looking CF mudflaps that offer little coverage and then everyone complains that they aren't making a difference to their rear fender area. Gee I wonder why?:hmm:

bgood

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2007 Honda S2K, 2016 Honda Civic Hatchback, 2012 Nissan Xterra, 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 4X4, and some toys
Country flag
I am definitely interested. This car will see two events a month and I know I will need the extra protection (already have PPF.) I like a flexible material that does not protrude too much, otherwise it has the good possibility of getting caught by a cone. I also like your idea of using factory holes.
Is there noticeable wind noise?

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
I am definitely interested. This car will see two events a month and I know I will need the extra protection (already have PPF.) I like a flexible material that does not protrude too much, otherwise it has the good possibility of getting caught by a cone. I also like your idea of using factory holes.
Is there noticeable wind noise?
I don't believe so, but I can't really differentiate the noise on this car vs. wind. I definitely didn't hear any high pitch whooshing sound if that helps.

By your logic they should come out with clear bras that cover 4" of the hood rather than 1/3 or full coverage because "incremental improvement". o_O As I said before you either want to protect your car or you don't. "Incremental improvement" is adding the ugliness of any sort of mudflap for minimal gains. It's just one of those areas where you have to fully commit or leave as-is or you end up in the middle where you are getting the negatives of having the mudflap look without the positives of solid paint protection coverage. It's like on the M2 forums where they do a group buy on these nice looking CF mudflaps that offer little coverage and then everyone complains that they aren't making a difference to their rear fender area. Gee I wonder why?:hmm:
That's why I didn't want to spend upwards to $200 for a Carbon Fiber one while also trying to avoid the ugly. My goal is a balance of comfort in mind and appearance. Hopefully I can grant a little bit of both to some degree.

PUDDLE TEST TODAY
Also, if any others are wondering/have concerns about how the rear guards hold up with only 1 screw + molding tape holding them, I drove through massive side puddles today during heavy rain and they weren't moving/detaching. We're talking about the puddle that activate your traction control when you go through it too fast.

I think it helps for the rear to have a balance protrusion going outward facing and inward facing towards the wheel well.

WhatThePuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura Rsx (sold), '19 CW CTR 23909
Country flag
I'm interested, I already have a chip on the driver door near my Gundam decal. It's tiny but enough for me to cringe. :D

Thawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Type R
Country flag
By your logic they should come out with clear bras that cover 4" of the hood rather than 1/3 or full coverage because "incremental improvement". o_O
Wut - doesn't the example of 1/3 vs full hood just prove the point? :)

Certainly, you're right that more protection means lower chances for damage. But, I think there are a lot of us who would like a little more protection without changing the look as much as giant rally flaps. But, I'm not sure I can see how there is a definitive line at which "full coverage" is achieved and anything less is a waste. But, I suppose that's why we live in a market which lots of options :)

Last edited:

ucf_bronco

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just signed up for this forum so I could say...interested! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

OP
OP
keiothic

keiothic

Banned
Banned
First Name
YoK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 CW #22485
Country flag
lets get this going !
Trust me, I'd like to get this going as soon as I can myself. I'm already tapping into my main office job hours doing R&D. I'm going to a plastic supplier tomorrow to look at some products. Hopefully I can stick to my intentions of giving you all an update this weekend.
Sponsored

Last edited: