OEM floor mats are CHEAP!

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
They appear to be very similar to Monster Mats, which I've used before (in my Jetta) and were great! A nice, solid, rubbery material. Easy to clean and have a good foot hold feel to them when driving.
Sponsored

slick316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L, 2017 Mercedes E300 4Matic
Country flag
I got the OEM rubber mats too. Saw the Accord version in the showroom and so I ended up ordering the Civic ones. For the most part, they're pretty good. But for the life of me, I don't understand why there is no coverage under the accelerator pedal. That's where all the salt and snow goes in the winter, and all the grass, dirt, dust in the summer! It's almost like they left it uncovered on purpose. I wonder if it's to prevent any possibility of the accelerator getting caught in the mat.

I'm thinking of ordering the WeatherTech ones at some point, but will stick with the OEM ones for now. I put down some clear plastic under the accelerator pedal to get me through winter.
The OEM rubber mats design is definitely due to "accidental acceleration", I'm sure weathertechs will be the same, they are in my Vette.

I like these OEM rubber mats more than weathertech to be honest. I find the weathertechs to be a little too plasticky and they seem to be a bit slippery when wet.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The OEM rubber mats design is definitely due to "accidental acceleration", I'm sure weathertechs will be the same, they are in my Vette.

I like these OEM rubber mats more than weathertech to be honest. I find the weathertechs to be a little too plasticky and they seem to be a bit slippery when wet.
I had Pants-Savers in the Accord. Absolutely loved them. Awesome coverage. Even under the accelerator! Come to think of it, I still have them. Maybe I'll see how they fit. The only hassle was washing the parts with deep grooves. Man, they held a lot of water though.

Jon Snow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic Blue Metallic
Country flag
Good lord, that's awful. I still have the original mats in my 2007 Mazda 3 and they still look almost new (not in a snow/winter area though).

timcole421

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sensing Sedan
I am a certified carpet/floor inspector as a profession. It looks to me as if the fibers are degrading/breaking which would be considered a manufacturing defect. I am at about 3500 miles on mine, but just removed the plastic liners the car ships with on the way home tonight. I hope you guys are complaining about this issue to your dealers, it is unacceptable. Some things on the civic x are much better than the past, and other things make you say what the ****. My 07 mats were vacuumed probably 2-3 times total over 8 years and 300k miles and had no visible wear.

OP
OP

IndyHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord EXL V6 coupe
Went to dealer today. No offer of warranty at all for the mats that I showed in original post. I have Weathertech in now, but I would still like to get these replaced for when/if I use them in the summer.

I guess I could call Honda directly???

jgreen16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic EX Hatch, 1990 Chevrolet C1500
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ordered the all-weather Honda mats the first week I had the car, and didn't realize how cheap the carpet mats were until I went to swap them out for the all-weathers. Are there any places to get higher quality carpeted mats? The mats in my Sonata are way better, and have held up well to heavy salt, etc., with no problems whatsoever.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring. 2008 Odyssey
I hated them from day one. I ordered the AWM from WeatherTech because laser cut wasn't available. Once they were I returned AWM and bought the laser cut ones. Have had them in previous cars and other than the weather tech label falling off over time I've had zero problems. Take them out at car wash and place them on ground and they come out nice and clean. My wife's minivan has them and that car gets beat up by our three kids. I'd never go OEM again.

hondacm450e

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Touring
Country flag
My oem mats got demolished at around 700 miles as well (during winter though). I did request the weather tech before the company had them available. Within two weeks I got an email that they were ready so I grabbed them.

My Verdict on weather tech in the touring civic 2016: Good fit, not superb fit. I did compare to them to the OEM Honda all weather mats and I'll say that the lip on the weather tech goes a little further in every direction. The passenger side fits slightly better than the driver side, as there's about a 1/4 inch of give toward your heals. It's just something to play with and not distracting. They look pretty nasty by week four in Chicago with the salt and snow, but it seems to wipe right off.

I've had them in for 1 month and just checked underneath. Not a single shred of Chicago filth.

Grade: A-

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
My oem mats got demolished at around 700 miles as well (during winter though).
<rant>Winter weather or no, there is no way the OEM mats failing at 700 miles is acceptable as normal wear and tear. I've had Honda carpet mats in 8 Honda/Acura products from 1986 Integra to 2007 CR-V, whether dealer installed accessory (back in the day) or standard equipment. ('86 Integra, '88 Accord, '92 Vigor, '92 Civic Si, '95 Integra, '00 CR-V, '04 TL, '07 CR-V.) Until fall of '14, these were all in Colorado, so subject to winter weather. Had them in four of these cars to over 50k miles, and longest, over 100k miles and 13 years. At the end of their service with us, they didn't look new or great. They were still serviceable.

And had carpet OEM mats in an '86 Trooper, a '99 SLK230, a '09 135i, and a '12 Focus. Both the Trooper and the SLK were with us over ten years, the Trooper over 100k miles. Also no failure of the mats.

(Upon remembering, and to be fair, the SLK, 135i, Focus, and '07 CR-Vs also had winter mats. At least one winter in several of those cases I never got around to putting them in. Still…)

People should absolutely call Honda and complain. No way this should be considered "OK" for them to have gone this cheap/defective/or unsuitable material. Why not just put in the paper service department mats? Bet they'd last 700 miles.</rant>

Last edited:

hal9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
<rant>Why not just put in the paper service department mats? Bet they'd last 700 miles.</rant>
Funny you say this. At 270 miles I threw an old cheap rubber mat over my drivers mat just to keep salt off it until Husky released theirs. I know this because it's when I had my snows mounted.

Last weekend my Huskys came and I got around to removing the carpeted mats. To be honest it's the first time I've paid attention to them. The quality is abysmal. They're basically a thin foam board sprayed with adhesive and some fabric sprinkled on top.There's already a large amount of wear from my heel at 270 miles! I thought to myself, these are probably the quality of the service mats a Lexus dealer would use.
Sponsored

Last edited: