1. Guest, see the CivicX Forum Rules and User Agreement before posting.  After reading click here to dismiss this notice →
    Dismiss Notice

OEM floor mats are CHEAP!

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by IndyHonda, Feb 1, 2016.

1. IndyHonda Member

Car(s):
    2013 Honda Accord EXL V6 coupe
    I understand that floor mats aren't generally a deciding factor when purchasing a car, but as a new car owner, shouldn't we all expect the mats to last longer than 800 miles? I already purchased and installed some Weathertech mats and won't need front OEM mats, but that's not really my point as a consumer. The OEM mats are already worn down to the bottom of the mat after just a month! I've had older Honda OEM mats that lasted for years and other than looking somewhat dirty, they held up a heck of a lot better than these napkin-thin garbage mats that are in the Civic.

For those of you that keep the OEM mats in your car, have you had issues like this as well?

I attached a couple of photos of these mats that I took at just under 800 miles on my car. A friend of mine that was in my car thought that I had kept my mats from my previous car because these looked like garbage.

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

ThrillHill thanked this.
  2. Pat Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Touring
    That's terrible, it looks like you've been wearing boots with Spurs.

goflyakuite and IndyHonda thanked this.
  3. OP

IndyHonda Member

Car(s):
    2013 Honda Accord EXL V6 coupe
    I agree! Nothing but normal running shoes here though. I'm going to discuss with the dealership when I go in for an unrelated issue on Wednesday. For those that don't use Weathertech or some other aftermarket mats, hopefully they will have better luck that the junk I had my feet on.

4. goflyakuite

goflyakuite Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Touring (MSM/BLK)
    Garage Profiles:
    The quality of the mats in my 2013 Accord were equally as cheap. Not sure when they made the switch but they've had the cheaper mats for a few years now....

5. dick w Senior Member

Car(s):
    '16 Civic Sedan Touring (MSM/GR), '18 CR-V Touring AWD (BRPII/GR)
    That kind of wear at 800 miles seems like it could pretty easily be defended as not "normal wear and tear" and thus a potential warranty claim item. At 8,000 miles, maybe not so much.

IndyHonda thanked this.
  6. takemorepills Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Car(s):
    1987 Prelude Si
    I need to post pics of the original mats in my 87 Prelude Si, they actually look less bad than the OP's mat, after 187K miles and 29 years!

I agree though, all of our newer cars have terrible mats. My 2016 GTI came with both OEM all-weather mats and OEM carpeted mats. While the AW mats are really nice, the carpeted ones are a JOKE. The mats in my Prelude are more like premium carpet, the mats in newer cars are more like thin speaker box carpet.

I wouldn't mind if manufacturers gave away cheap mats with every car as long as they offered durable ones as an option.

ThrillHill and IndyHonda thanked this.
  7. dick w Senior Member

Car(s):
    '16 Civic Sedan Touring (MSM/GR), '18 CR-V Touring AWD (BRPII/GR)
    Exactly. We used to buy these as Honda accessories every time.

goflyakuite thanked this.
  8. camhabib Senior Member

Car(s):
    2010 Porsche 911, 2016 Honda Civic Touring
    I had a similar experience. While not as bad, that area under the pedals was extremely worn for the amount of miles used. Glad I went with the WeatherTech ones.

9. CdnColin

CdnColin Senior Member

Featured Threads:
    Retired
    Car(s):
    2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
    Garage Profiles:
    That's nasty. The matts in our 2016 HRV are fine. Will certainly keep an eye on this in the spring when I re-install them.

10. crea78 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2014 Accord Sport, 2016 Civic EX-T
    Garage Profiles:
    My OEM mats have held up pretty well, but I'm still going to order the WeatherTech mats in a week or so.

11. slick316 Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX-L, 2017 Mercedes E300 4Matic
    Those look terrible. I only had mine in for a week, I ordered the OEM rubber mats since I bought my car in December, I like having rubber mats during the winter months. But honestly, I'm not putting the OEM carpeted mats back. After just a week, a noticed a rut in them where my heel would be.

The OEM rubber mats, the high walls, are very nice to be honest.

12. Pat Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Touring
    i would pay for premium real carpet and mats as an option.

13. Mocha90210

Mocha90210 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Touring
    I got the OEM rubber mats too. Saw the Accord version in the showroom and so I ended up ordering the Civic ones. For the most part, they're pretty good. But for the life of me, I don't understand why there is no coverage under the accelerator pedal. That's where all the salt and snow goes in the winter, and all the grass, dirt, dust in the summer! It's almost like they left it uncovered on purpose. I wonder if it's to prevent any possibility of the accelerator getting caught in the mat.

I'm thinking of ordering the WeatherTech ones at some point, but will stick with the OEM ones for now. I put down some clear plastic under the accelerator pedal to get me through winter.

14. Buccal_Up Senior Member

Car(s):
    EX-T
    I had weather tech mats in my last car and after a while the hard plastic kind of warped in shape and didn't fit the way it did when I first got them. Are the two rubber mats from Honda rubber or are they a hard plastic material?

15. Mocha90210

Mocha90210 Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic Touring
    They're rubber. I'm pretty happy with the material.