First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Hi all,

Can door edge guards be installed with body side molding?

Note: body side molding is already on the car.
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi all,

Can door edge guards be installed with body side molding?

Note: body side molding is already on the car.
Yes.. at least 100% sure they can on the SI coupe, provided the body side molding were positioned correctly with the template.

You might have seen some Online supplier's website, list these parts, and state that they cannot be both be used at the same time. That does not make any sense to me, I have seen numerous SI with both fitted, and there is plenty of room to do so without cutting down either parts - they don't even have to touch each other.. there is plenty of clearance.

OP
OP

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes.. at least 100% sure they can on the SI coupe, provided the body side molding were positioned correctly with the template.

You might have seen some Online supplier's website, list these parts, and state that they cannot be both be used at the same time. That does not make any sense to me, I have seen numerous SI with both fitted, and there is plenty of room to do so without cutting down either parts - they don't even have to touch each other.. there is plenty of clearance.
Thanks, just found out that the body side molding is not installed right so I’m taking my car back to have that fixed and will have door edge guards installed then.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Thanks, just found out that the body side molding is not installed right so I’m taking my car back to have that fixed and will have door edge guards installed then.
You were unfortunate.. it is more often that the dealer may install the Door Edge Guards first as what they consider to be a "Necessary Addition" ( = up sell), and then later, the owner decides they want the Body Side Moldings. Then when they fit the Body Side Molding, even if the do not do it accurately with the template, they cannot really fail to allow for the door edge guards when positioning the Body Side Moldings.

I just hope they can remove those Body Side Molding, without damage to the paint.
They stick on pretty firmly.
Similarly, when they do remove them, I hope they do not force them and bend them.
Once bent, it is near impossible to straighten them without leaving signs that they were once bent.

Hope all goes well.. I admit I am an "Obsessive Perfectionist", and have learned over the year (especially with Car Dealers), that if you want it done Right, then do it yourself, or be prepared to accept a job done that may well not meet your expectations of perfection.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When you say "not installed right" do you have a pic? This was one of the first mods I did. Ordered the OEM molding online and installed it myself. I have no idea how the dealer f'ed this up. It comes with a template.

OP
OP

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When you say "not installed right" do you have a pic? This was one of the first mods I did. Ordered the OEM molding online and installed it myself. I have no idea how the dealer f'ed this up. It comes with a template.
I know right? I modified my work schedule, rented a car while they installed it and it’s misaligned. You wouldn’t notice it right away, but knowing they messed it up is a huge bummer. I’ll share pics when I have daylight.

OP
OP

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You were unfortunate.. it is more often that the dealer may install the Door Edge Guards first as what they consider to be a "Necessary Addition" ( = up sell), and then later, the owner decides they want the Body Side Moldings. Then when they fit the Body Side Molding, even if the do not do it accurately with the template, they cannot really fail to allow for the door edge guards when positioning the Body Side Moldings.

I just hope they can remove those Body Side Molding, without damage to the paint.
They stick on pretty firmly.
Similarly, when they do remove them, I hope they do not force them and bend them.
Once bent, it is near impossible to straighten them without leaving signs that they were once bent.

Hope all goes well.. I admit I am an "Obsessive Perfectionist", and have learned over the year (especially with Car Dealers), that if you want it done Right, then do it yourself, or be prepared to accept a job done that may well not meet your expectations of perfection.
I wish I trusted myself to do it on my own but I don’t. Wouldn’t the dealer be liable if the molding isn’t replaced properly?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wish I trusted myself to do it on my own but I don’t. Wouldn’t the dealer be liable if the molding isn’t replaced properly?
Yes, in theory they would be "Liable" .. but lets hope all goes well and it's done correctly .. and there is not any reason to assume otherwise.

My problem (?) is that I am a perfectionist, and I tend to expect/demand the same from others, which many times, is an unrealistic expectation.

OP
OP

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, in theory they would be "Liable" .. but lets hope all goes well and it's done correctly .. and there is not any reason to assume otherwise.

My problem (?) is that I am a perfectionist, and I tend to expect/demand the same from others, which many times, is an unrealistic expectation.
Ugh, this is making me super nervous. The last thing I want is for them to tell me, "we can't remove them" or "we don't see what's wrong but we can give you a quote if you want us to do something about it" or something like that.

There's other add-ons I want to install and I'm contemplating going elsewhere to get them installed.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ugh, this is making me super nervous. The last thing I want is for them to tell me, "we can't remove them" or "we don't see what's wrong but we can give you a quote if you want us to do something about it" or something like that.

There's other add-ons I want to install and I'm contemplating going elsewhere to get them installed.
So sorry to have made you nervous. That was not my intent.

I suggest you just talk to the service Manager, tell them any concerns you have, and get them addressed and answered, before you proceed.

You have a right to know and be told what they are doing to your car, and be re-assured that they will do a good job.

OP
OP

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So sorry to have made you nervous. That was not my intent.

I suggest you just talk to the service Manager, tell them any concerns you have, and get them addressed and answered, before you proceed.

You have a right to know and be told what they are doing to your car, and be re-assured that they will do a good job.
You have no need to apologize!

Thanks for your help, I'll update y'all with what I learn when I speak to the service department later today.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
When you talk to them, mention that next time they install the molding they should try doing it sober. :eek:

lurker_j

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP FC1
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Make sure they put those door edge guards on correctly and firmly. Mine were put on 98% correct, but there were tiny bits where the adhesive wasn't stuck to anything and over time the edge guards as a whole became dark and dirty. This is just after 3 months and I wash my car a couple times a week since it sits outside. I ended up just taking them off. If I could go back to when I was upsold on them at the dealership, I wouldn't have bought it as it just ended up being another waste of money thing at the dealership if you are careful with how you open doors IMO.

OP
OP

Dis4Damion

First Name
Damion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I scheduled an appointment on Saturday to have the body side molding corrected and door edge guards added.