Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si black sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
PITA.

The cargo net requires drilling out 4 push pin holes, and then securing a rivet nut in each. College Hills Honda sells the tool for 100 bucks....I tried to make my own with a bolt, nut, locking washer, and a regular washer, it was mildly successful..... finished one before the bolt broke and cut my hand up good. I took the car to Inver Grove Honda in MN and I traded my last Guinness (from the work on my car day treat cooler) to a tech for installing the other 3 rivet nuts. Took him 5 minutes and he did not cut up his hand! It also took 45 minutes for the service folk to understand what I was asking for, and then they tried to figure out the quote..... ended up costing me a beer, but your mileage may vary. Inver Grove Honda is fucking awesome.

My suggestion? Trade a beer for a Honda tech to install the rivet nuts.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Cargo Net Install 20190515_173918

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Cargo Net Install 20190515_173941

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Cargo Net Install 20190515_203512

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Super glue works great. Don’t ask how I know.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Super glue works great. Don’t ask how I know.
Ha! You would get along with my girlfriend, she is a huge glue evangelist! Did you glue the hooks right to the metal and widen the liner hole?

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did this. For me it was a piece of cake, but I already had a tool for the rivets from the NRG fender washers I installed. Fender washer kit $20.00 for those that are considering buying the $100 tool.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Cargo Net Install upload_2019-5-16_6-55-56

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ha! You would get along with my girlfriend, she is a huge glue evangelist! Did you glue the hooks right to the metal and widen the liner hole?
I didn’t have the tool either and wasn’t going to buy it, so I drilled the hole a little small and pounded the anchors in. Worked fine except on one. That one I put a little glue where the rim meets the car itself, and tapped it back in. Holds like a champ.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dan, I need this but am very NOT handy.
Beer + Honda techs + be a nice and badass chick + small quantities of begging.

But seriously, Honda dealerships will charge 100 bucks for the full install, if you do the drilling.... they may install the rivet nuts for free.

OP
OP
ladysi

ladysi

First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Am I reading this correctly? A dealer charges $100 to install a net in the trunk of a vehicle?
Yes, actually more like just shy of $120. Their reasoning? It requires drilling through the metal trunk liner and requires a special $100 tool (rivet nut setter) that they make the tech themselves buy....never mind that Honda designed the damn thing...to apparently be as unfriendly to install as possible. Dealer's gotta make cash...and Honda probably saved like $1.75 per vehicle by not pre-tapping the holes......

I didn't pay, no way in hell I would have. But 1 Guinness and 45 minutes of shooting the shit with the Honda folk about my mods to bypass the stupid tool (double entendre intended) requirement? Ok.

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those made in Thailand for Asian market are a lot easier to install, no special tool needed.

Attachments

bscags

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did this. For me it was a piece of cake, but I already had a tool for the rivets from the NRG fender washers I installed. Fender washer kit $20.00 for those that are considering buying the $100 tool.
upload_2019-5-16_6-55-56.jpeg
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I’m installing a cargo net in my coupe and I realized that I have no choice but to use the rivnut for the top 2 hooks for the net. Thinking to get the NRG fender washer kit like you instead of the $100 Honda tool lol was there a specific size for the fender washer kit you got and did you end up using the rivnuts from the NRG kit or the ones from the cargo net? Thanks!!