Odor of windshield washer is present when being use

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Hi guys. Every time i use my spray a windshield washer on my windshield, the odor gets through the VAC and i can smell it from inside. Is this normal?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MTBhatch

MTBhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Wew! Good to know. Thanks

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Hi guys. Every time i use my spray a windshield washer on my windshield, the odor gets through the VAC and i can smell it from inside. Is this normal?
The fresh air intake for the climate control system is right at the bottom edge of the windshield, most windshield washer fluids are mostly solvents, alcohol & glycol, some have a strong smell. I use Rain-X washer fluid, for some reason it has very little odor.

ResortCasual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
In a previous car I had the washer hoses get corroded/mildewed/effected somehow that the smell was very eggy / sulfur-y to the point where I could not use it it was so bad and I needed to have the whole system flushed and the hoses replaced.

I'd make sure you are not experiencing something like that as I do not find the smell of the washer fluid in my '16 Touring bad at all. In fact, I am not sure I have even noticed it.

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
My 16 EX-L had no odor issues either, but I've been using the Rain-X fluid since 2006, so don't have a basis for comparison. When I got my Touring Coupe in December, I immediately drained the blue stuff that the dealer put in, never used it. I've never had corrosion or other issues with any Honda washer system, but when I did still use the blue fluid, noticed a bit of crusty residue occasionally.
Sponsored