Occasional metal clang when shifting into first

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Hi all. I currently only have 40 miles on my Type R. Every now and then, when I shift into first, I hear a metal clanging sound. It happens while the clutch is still pushed in, when the gear lever is moved into first, not when I let the clutch out and actually engage. It's fairly rare so far - it's maybe only happened 3 times out of dozens of first gear shifts, but I'm wondering if this is something that others have experienced.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine does it, never thought of anything other than gears fork moving maybe. Of course, my paranoid mind equates these noises to me being a novice at driving stick so unless they are constant I just let em move on.

redwing497

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda S2000, 2019 CW CTR
Country flag
If you're at a stoplight, if you press the clutch pedal and hold it for long before sliding it into first, does it still do it?

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you're at a stoplight, if you press the clutch pedal and hold it for long before sliding it into first, does it still do it?
Not sure, I'll have to experiment a bit. It's tough to say, since it only happens like one in 40 or so times, but I'll have to see.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl Civic Type R #22036
Country flag
I find that mine does this if I'm shifting into first to go over a speed bump. Normally I would shift to first and keep the clutch in until I'm over the bump (this causes the noise). I find that if I shift to neutral to go over the speed bump then shift to first after then there is no clanging sound. Not sure if it is entirely to do with double clutching or also something to do with the speed at which I'm shifting.

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 1998 Honda Accord
Country flag
Hi all. I currently only have 40 miles on my Type R. Every now and then, when I shift into first, I hear a metal clanging sound. It happens while the clutch is still pushed in, when the gear lever is moved into first, not when I let the clutch out and actually engage. It's fairly rare so far - it's maybe only happened 3 times out of dozens of first gear shifts, but I'm wondering if this is something that others have experienced.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Does it happen when you are completely stopped, or when your slowing down at a stop sign and about to stop and put into first to roll the stop sign a little

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does it happen when you are completely stopped, or when your slowing down at a stop sign and about to stop and put into first to roll the stop sign a little
I have 1k miles on mine. I also own an Accord manual for 10 years, had a civic manual in the 90s, and drive truck for a living .... manual trucks. Im used to a stick shift set up. When I first got the type r I was like all of us, all over youtube watching vids about the transmission problems. To be honest, I haven't noticed a thing wrong with the gearbox. I drive it in Auto Rev Match and because I do I expect it to be notch going in to gears. Ive noticed in 1st and 2nd its more notch to put in gear than 3rd through 6th. also Ive noticed if I drive the car as soon as I start it, the shifts are no where near as smooth as when I drive the car for about 20 min. much smoother shifts then

Nulled

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I to had this in my break in period, since then I have not heard it and have yet to figure out if it was me getting used to the car or the car getting used to me. It was easier to replicate when on a hill or turning and coming to a stop. But the same noise once in every 30-40.

Driven manual for the last 12 years.

Don't stress, drive it and enjoy it, if you notice it being a problem that's when you can take it back to the dealer. I only say this since I had the exact same problem as you.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The first time it happened, it was the latter (rolling to a stop). I want to say that it may have happened one other time when I was completely stopped, but not 100% sure. It hasn't happened all day today a so hopefully it's working itself out.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On a slightly unrelated note, I've noticed after driving it in stop and go traffic for a while that the Type R's clutch feels much heavier than the SI's. I still only have 50 miles on the car, so I'm wondering: does the pedal lighten up after it breaks in for a few hundred miles?

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On a slightly unrelated note, I've noticed after driving it in stop and go traffic for a while that the Type R's clutch feels much heavier than the SI's. I still only have 50 miles on the car, so I'm wondering: does the pedal lighten up after it breaks in for a few hundred miles?
Ive never Driven the SI. But like I said I have a 98 Accord and had a 94 Civic. Obviously the clutches are going to be way heavier than the Type Rs. But I've also driven M3s and 911s, and I have to say that the type r clutch is extremely light weighted

Slap KFD

Slapboogz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
=
I wouldn't worry about it too much. when I first got the car I was over analyzing everything. My OCD was driving me nuts. after a few 100 miles I got accustom to the car and the car started to even out on break in. just drive it and don't over think it. You'll be fine and happy

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IMO stop and go traffic will make you realize the weight more. I know after 15 minutes of starting and stopping constantly my foot starts to feel somewhat sore from having to depress it so much.

OP
OP
davemarco

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
IMO stop and go traffic will make you realize the weight more. I know after 15 minutes of starting and stopping constantly my foot starts to feel somewhat sore from having to depress it so much.
I think that the SI just spoiled me in terms of weight. No other manual that I've ever driven had been anywhere near that light. It sucked for spirited driving but was amazing for being stuck on traffic. On the other hand, the R seems easier to creep forward using only the clutch (maybe due to the bigger engine?). So I think that I'll just need to adapt to a new style of driving in traffic.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
maybe try checking the shifter bushing area by the transmission and see if it's contacting anything or is close to contacting anything when the lever is moved to first?
Sponsored