amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
With warmer temperatures, comes new liabilities....

hand.JPG
LOL that is awesome! My Si was in the body shop the last two weeks due to an accident, so this is the first day I got it back. Luckily here in SoCal it's cloudy and mild, but in Northern Cal where I live and headed it's been in the 80's so I don't look forward to the hand burning

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They used the same exact knob I my '15. I kept it... but sprung for the 15% tint all around with the windshield tinted as well... though not nearly as dark. It makes a world of difference but it certainly isn't as cost effective as just changing the knob.

At least the stitching is nice and smooth on this one. The '15 was scratchy.

Old George

First Name
Georges
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I really like the original knob and I don't want to change it.
So, right now, I am going to write to Honda to have them install refrigerated knobs for you, guys from the South, and heated knobs
for us, guys from the North. I will keep you informed!

MtnBikeAZ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
was curious if CF was actually worth it for this (since I'm in Phoenix).
I have a Delrin one (from @Boomba Racing ) and it's still hot, although I have the aluminum cap on it...
For where you and I live, I think its absolutely the way to go. When I get in my hot car, the leather of the steering wheel actually feels hotter than the shift knob. The carbon fiber just doesn't transfer heat like other materials. The one I bought (pictured above) is a Mishimoto Carbon Fiber shift knob, part number MMSK-CF.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
was curious if CF was actually worth it for this (since I'm in Phoenix).
I have a Delrin one (from @Boomba Racing ) and it's still hot, although I have the aluminum cap on it...
For where you and I live, I think its absolutely the way to go. When I get in my hot car, the leather of the steering wheel actually feels hotter than the shift knob. The carbon fiber just doesn't transfer heat like other materials. The one I bought (pictured above) is a Mishimoto Carbon Fiber shift knob, part number MMSK-CF.
Switched to the Mishimoto CF as well for South Carolina summers. Completely worth it

SleepyFC1

The Minister of Truth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How long does it take you people to shift?! Dear Lord, I have my hand on my "burning hot" shift knob 1 second max per shift. I'll survive.

_.berr

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
For anybody looking for a comfortable reliable shift knob that won't burn you look up Acuitys Shift Knob

stingray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX-P Coupe, 2013 CR-V
Country flag
I always looked at metal shift knobs and just hate to think about how they felt when sitting in 90° weather with the sun beating on it. If it had an Si first thing i'd do is change out the metal one for something else.
90? Hah! Try 118 in Phoenix

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You should call a local lawyer ... I mean how much $$$ did the girl who spilled McDonalds Coffee on herself get? I think it was in the multi million range ... sadly our country has deteriorated into a muck ... but ... you have substantial first maybe pre second degree burns for which you HAVE TO navigate your automobile. This is an unintended situation that Honda has created and YOU do have a medical situation.
Agreed - this is not your fault - this is a serious design flaw. Honda must be aware of this by now, and should have taken steps to immediately remedy the situation.

Like, say, swap out the shift know with something else safer but hopefully still attractive. (Wood,leather?)

Please, for everyone's sake, contact a good attorney and follow up on this. Otherwise nothing will change, and more people will be hurt. I have almost scorched my hand numerous times, and only my AZ-honed reactions have saved me from serious damage.
Heck, even just removing my sunshade when I get in the car poses a risk, let alone a metal shift knob.

Go for it, and let us know how it works out. For all I know, there may be enough mutilated SI owners to form a class action suit.

COOL COUPE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI coupe (red) Skunk 2 shift knob BOV Spacer Plate (red) K&N Panel Filter Dual Muffler Delete
Country flag
again ... the woman who dropped 240 degree Mcdonalds coffee in her lap suffered second degree burns and was awarded millions ... I have switched to the Skunk2 all metal weighted knob so I am not capable of any action ... Some average guy taking care of weeds got 14 million for the round up deal ... Do we want to talk about Johnson and Johnson?... sadly America has been saturated with slip and fall type lawyers ... but ... this case has some merit. No?
Sponsored