Noticeable sound on hwy speeds

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
I recently got new rear tires because, my driver rear tire went out from a turn.
I accidently hit a curb, and the curb was sharp, new and one of those tall ones. It punctured or hit my rear wheel. The rim is fine but the tire had to be replaced.

After replacing both rears to make them similar in type and treadware. I notice on HWY speeds, their is like a low rumble or fading (in and out) noise. My alignment feels fine...

Can new tires cause this? I don't believe so, but will take it back to discount tire to have them re-balance the rear wheels incase its that. I am hoping its not an issue with the rim itself or worst: hub bearings, trailing arm.

Although, rims are fine (no damage to them from the impact).

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The rims may look fine, but could still be bent. I would think they would see that during balancing though? Do the rears have alignment adjustments on the civic?

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Did you check if the shop placed the wheel weights in the right places?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Same tires as the front? Or Different...
Stickier tires will rumble like that.
You could have knocked something else out just a bit. Doubt it is the wheel(s) as there would be more happening than just a rumble noise.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
The rims may look fine, but could still be bent. I would think they would see that during balancing though? Do the rears have alignment adjustments on the civic?
The techs at discount tire didn't say anything. I will go back and have them check + re-balance.
I may as well start looking at rims in case... Going to browse at some rims with stock sizing (don't want to change away from the 17in. original size... like to still use the tires I have for the front and, new rears.... its not even a yr old car...

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Did you check if the shop placed the wheel weights in the right places?
I am going to bring it back and have them check in case its a matter of the weights falling off or not properly balanced.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Same tires as the front? Or Different...
Stickier tires will rumble like that.
You could have knocked something else out just a bit. Doubt it is the wheel(s) as there would be more happening than just a rumble noise.

Front are the original Continetals that came with the EX HB (17" Continentals)
The rear, are same specs as O.E, just a different kind of continentals....

In other words, same brand, different models tires (Front: Continental Pro contacts TX | Rear: Continental Extreme Contact DWS)

Last edited:
OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
I will have to find a place for an alignment incase. All is Stock suspension (EX HB), so if its too much out of alignment for the rear. I would imagine a adjuster will be needed. If not, hopefully a simple washer or two would help...

Last edited:

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Front are the original Continetals that came with the EX HB (17" Continentals)
The rear, are same specs as O.E, just a different kind of continentals....

In other words, same brand, different models tires (Front: Continental Pro contacts TX | Rear: Continental Extreme Contact DWS)
Move those new tires to the front and then listen for the noise.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Move those new tires to the front and then listen for the noise.
Just got back from DT and, they performed a balance and rotation (x swap). It seems to be less. However, going to take it on the HWY a bit later to really do a test. If its still their from the rear. I am concerned with it being the rear alignment/thrust being off. I'll probably take it to any alignment check or perform a 4 wheel after Christmas, so it be closer to a year. However, driving - the car goes strait and does not pull - but, then again... the rear won't determine that so much....

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Ok, so after getting the balance+rotation. I still hear it and, it seems to be from the rear.
I believe its possible a alignment would help.

(11/08) However, I may have a new issue... I notice after leaving DT, I get the "Tire Load pressure" warning in orange. I was afraid it be our Honda's version of TPMS, so turned around and have them pump the air to 36 all around as, opposed tot he OE recommended 32.5.

I did a TPS re-calibrate as well, and it seem to go away. However, on the way to church yesterday (11/10): I noticed the orange Low tire pressure came on again. I did another TPMS calibrate and it went away the whole day. This morning it is till go, but was considering to go back to DT and request them to check the sensors or replace; as an incase they damaged the sensors during the balance/rotation.

However it has not come back on, so.... was wondering what you all think?
Is it possible it just takes more than 24hrs for the tpms to register? It is currently OFF and I checked the tires, they pressures are all fine; thus, I know its sensor or calibration.

Just to be sure I did the calibrate correctly. It is done, via the screen correct? That is the only place to calibrate it and no other?

Last edited:

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would get the alignment done just to rule that out at this point.

OP
OP
wdrx02

wdrx02

Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB
Country flag
Would get the alignment done just to rule that out at this point.
Yes, that is in the plan. However, my latest response was in regards to the low pressure indicator, implying the tpms sensor and, to take back to DT or not.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, that is in the plan. However, my latest response was in regards to the low pressure indicator, implying the tpms sensor and, to take back to DT or not.
Do a thorough inspection of the rear end, it could be out of place. Or maybe the alignment is bad enough to throw it off?