First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Alright, I can't be the only one. I simply cannot stand the auto dimming mirror... It never seems to work when I need it to. Not sure if the sensors just aren't good enough or what, but I'm fed up with being blinded. I would imagine this would be a straight swap if I could find it - the parts sites are not being very helpful though. Does anyone know the part number for sure? I came up with 76400-TF0-A01... #16 in the picture.

Honda Civic 10th gen Non auto dimming mirror mirror

Any similar opinions on this auto dimming nonsense? Anyone else do the swap to the old school "flip to darken"?

And lastly, does anyone have one? I've seen a few threads looking to add this tech so maybe someone has one they'd like to get a few bucks for...
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI, 2021 Tesla MYP, 2008 BMW 335i
Country flag
Alright, I can't be the only one. I simply cannot stand the auto dimming mirror... It never seems to work when I need it to. Not sure if the sensors just aren't good enough or what, but I'm fed up with being blinded. I would imagine this would be a straight swap if I could find it - the parts sites are not being very helpful though. Does anyone know the part number for sure? I came up with 76400-TF0-A01... #16 in the picture.

mirror.png

Any similar opinions on this auto dimming nonsense? Anyone else do the swap to the old school "flip to darken"?

And lastly, does anyone have one? I've seen a few threads looking to add this tech so maybe someone has one they'd like to get a few bucks for...
There is a newer version of the mirrors out which has the homelink built in. It also has the sensors facing the front instead of the rear. I think if you have a hatch the older style mirror had a hard time getting light through the rear windshield and onto the sensor. I just ordered a the newer style one to retrofit including the harness for my 2020 SI. You should give that a try because you already have the wiring in place.

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a newer version of the mirrors out which has the homelink built in. It also has the sensors facing the front instead of the rear. I think if you have a hatch the older style mirror had a hard time getting light through the rear windshield and onto the sensor. I just ordered a the newer style one to retrofit including the harness for my 2020 SI. You should give that a try because you already have the wiring in place.
Having the sensor on the front wouldn't do me much good since the headlights I need to detect are behind me... Also still relying on technology to know when it's dark enough to change. I think I want the OG style flip mirror or maybe the blue overlays from SUMA might do me some good.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I take it you have one of em installed? I've been looking at this and the side mirrors to try and help get rid of the glare, just some coin I wasn't too keen on spending lately... And sure, the reviews are good but it's hard to go off reviews on a site that sells the products.
They took getting used to.
Being convex things behind you look further away. It also makes your field of view include the rear deck. A positive with that, is it gives a view through the rear passenger blind spot

The anti glare is a game changer with the increasing amount of mall crawlers having bad led/hid installs

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Having the sensor on the front wouldn't do me much good since the headlights I need to detect are behind me... Also still relying on technology to know when it's dark enough to change. I think I want the OG style flip mirror or maybe the blue overlays from SUMA might do me some good.
I could send you mine once I install the auto-dimming mirrors. Just pay for shipping.

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
They took getting used to.
Being convex things behind you look further away. It also makes your field of view include the rear deck. A positive with that, is it gives a view through the rear passenger blind spot

The anti glare is a game changer with the increasing amount of mall crawlers having bad led/hid installs
I can imagine it's strikingly different at first... I've been driving a 10th gen civic for about 3 years so I've gotten quite used to the normal mirror. The fact that it helps with the blind spot is dope though, I have the Lanewatch camera but I still look around everywhere just to be sure so this would help.

And yes, I do agree, the number of times I have been straight BLINDED lately is ridiculous. For me it often seems to be pickup trucks- and I don't think it's only because the lights line up with the mirror, SUV's do that for me too. We are upgrading the gf's EX-L to LED bulbs and definitely will be making sure the beams are angled properly haha. Not only does it piss off other drivers, it impacts your visibility, so I'm not sure why all these people don't fix theirs.

I could send you mine once I install the auto-dimming mirrors. Just pay for shipping.
Hey thanks man!! Super appreciated! Definitely will do that, will also throw a few extra on top as I am very thankful for this. I'll be able to just flip the damn headlight glare away!

Also, I tried to find this mirror with no sensors facing the back with homelink with no luck!

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No problem! I plan on installing it this weekend.

The part number is 76400-TXM-A01. CollegeHill Honda updated their site with an installation guide for the 2020 model https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08V03-TBA.html. What is confusing is the older style mirror is used in the stock photo there, but you can select '2019-2020 Mirror w/HomeLink LX, Sport, EX, 2020 Si' in the options. After some research I found that it is the same model used in Insight. I scored a used one off eBay for $100. It is a pretty nice unit, I cant wait to install it. I think the way the newer models work differently in that it stays dimmed depending on the ambient light, where as the older style gets dimmed only if it detect lights directly on the sensor. I could be wrong. I know in my BMW, the auto dimming mirror works really well, and it has the sensor in the back facing the front windshield.

Last edited:
OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem! I plan on installing it this weekend.

The part number is 76400-TXM-A01. CollegeHill Honda updated their site with an installation guide for the 2020 model https://www.collegehillshonda.com/product/08V03-TBA.html. What is confusing is the older style mirror is used in the stock photo there, but you can select '2019-2020 Mirror w/HomeLink LX, Sport, EX, 2020 Si' in the options. After some research I found that it is the same model used in Insight. I scored a used one off eBay for $100. It is a pretty nice unit, I cant wait to install it. I think the way the newer models work differently in that it stays dimmed depending on the ambient light, where as the older style gets dimmed only if it detect lights directly on the sensor. I could be wrong. I know in my BMW, the auto dimming mirror works really well, and it has the sensor in the back facing the front windshield.
Sweet deal man! Keep me posted if all goes as planned and I'll shoot you money through PayPal if that works for ya once you're ready to ship out.

I see I see. In all honesty I will most likely go the route of getting the new auto dim provided it works right, but that's months away. I can drop the 20 or so here but since those mirrors are minimum $200 on the parts sites, I'll wait for some feedback, say from someone like yourself on the forum here ;) I do like the idea of that being dim all the time when it gets dark out, that is much better than only dimming when it detects headlights. Great idea in theory but probably more effective to just keep it dim.

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've installed the mirror over the weekend. It doesn't always stay on. It dimms when it detects light in the rear, but does work well. My only gripe is it has a border around the dimming part which is not dimmed, so if you move your head the right way you can get a sliver of blinding lights in your eyes.

OP
OP
disgraced.fk8

disgraced.fk8

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good to know it works! Shoot me a dm if you're interested in shippin that other one like later this week or something.

rwsmith123

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I came from a car with a flip to dim mirror and always left it flipped in the dim position. I couldn't stand the auto dimming mirror as it took was too long to switch to dim. My solution was to 3d print a clip that shines led's into the sensors to force them to always be dim. I wired the LED's to get power from the power that goes to the mirror so can't see the wires when it's in place.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-civic-today-ii.14492/page-269#post-388375

That along with the SUMA sport anti-glare sport mirrors have eliminated all the annoying glare that comes from behind me.

Because the SUMA side mirrors work so well at reducing glare (convex to disperse the light and blue tint to reduce the light) I would consider getting the SUMA convex rearview overlay if my mod didn't work so well.

ziludood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I came from a car with a flip to dim mirror and always left it flipped in the dim position. I couldn't stand the auto dimming mirror as it took was too long to switch to dim. My solution was to 3d print a clip that shines led's into the sensors to force them to always be dim. I wired the LED's to get power from the power that goes to the mirror so can't see the wires when it's in place.

https://www.civicx.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-civic-today-ii.14492/page-269#post-388375

That along with the SUMA sport anti-glare sport mirrors have eliminated all the annoying glare that comes from behind me.

Because the SUMA side mirrors work so well at reducing glare (convex to disperse the light and blue tint to reduce the light) I would consider getting the SUMA convex rearview overlay if my mod didn't work so well.
This is genius! You found. way to keep the thing always dimmed. I have to say the new autodimming mirror works really well, better than my BMW's except for the stupid border that is not dimmed.

I have the Suma side mirrors on the way. That seems to be the best solution for side mirrors.
Sponsored