Noisy scraping sound coming from rear wheels (brakes?) in the morning

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
Hi everyone
In the morning when I start the car and drive for the first 100 meters I can hear a scraping friction sound coming from the rear wheels. Like something is stuck to the wheels. Every rotation of the wheels. Very weird because im not applying brakes.
After a few stops and applying the brakes a couple of times the sound goes away.
My brakes have always been noisy in the morning after a rainy/humid overnight but now it sounds like they are stuck to the wheels when I start to drive. Its the same noise but now the noise is there even When Im not applying brakes, just from the wheels rotation, first few 100 meters, until I apply brakes a couple of times.
The noise is periodic and matches the frequency of my tire rotating (if that makes sense...frenchie here lol)
Brakes ? Rotors? calipers?
Any ideas?
Sponsored

Last edited:

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
its normal if its been sitting. its just the surface rust rubbing off on the rotors

Derangedcorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Why does every weird noise on this car is ''normal''!!???
This happens to a lot of cars, Acura, Lexus, beamers, etc. when you let it sit. The difference is the time it takes to build up rust. Some take a few days while some take a few hours.

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer the owner of a crappy 2016 Honda Civic EXT. First and last Honda for me. Never again.
Country flag
you both mean the brakes being noisy in the morning from rust build up is normal yes...my last 2 cars did that (very humid where I live)
But with this car Im NOT even applying brakes and theres a scrapping sound just from the tire rotation...

Derangedcorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
you both mean the brakes being noisy in the morning from rust build up yes...my last 2 cars did that (very humid where I live)
But with this car Im NOT even applying brakes and theres a scrapping sound just from the tire rotation...
Take it to the dealer and have them check the calipers/pads then. There's a chance that it's not seated properly or got misaligned from something. Or... most likely the dust shield.

sd8ted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 1989 240sx 400whp
Normal. Especially if it's been humid. Does the noise persist after applying the brakes a few times? If so, I would contact the dealer.

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Normal. Especially if it's been humid. Does the noise persist after applying the brakes a few times? If so, I would contact the dealer.
No, noise stops after applying the brakes
Its just very weird since its only from the wheel rotation, no brakes applied yet

sd8ted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T 1989 240sx 400whp
No, noise stops after applying the brakes
Its just very weird since its only from the wheel rotation, no brakes applied yet
Yeah, there isn't a large gap from rotor to pad, so as the rust builds up on the rotor, it hits the pad, making the noise you are hearing.

I have a 240sx that I haven't been driving much, so when it sits for a few weeks and I go to drive it, the brakes sound HORRIBLE the first couple of miles, lol.

But it's very easy to hear every little noise and think something is wrong. When DI (direct injection) started, a lot of people would ask why my car makes the ticking noise, you need to fix it, my last car didn't do that.

OP
OP
Oliseles

Oliseles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, there isn't a large gap from rotor to pad, so as the rust builds up on the rotor, it hits the pad, making the noise you are hearing.

I have a 240sx that I haven't been driving much, so when it sits for a few weeks and I go to drive it, the brakes sound HORRIBLE the first couple of miles, lol.

But it's very easy to hear every little noise and think something is wrong. When DI (direct injection) started, a lot of people would ask why my car makes the ticking noise, you need to fix it, my last car didn't do that.
Well its a design flaw because my car sits for 8 hours and I hear the sound
Also very weird that its only the rear passenger wheel
Its my first Honda (last one too) but 8 hours to build rust seems a bit excessive
This car is the worst piece of crap ive ever owned
So many problems
I miss my VW!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Its my first Honda (last one too) but 8 hours to build rust seems a bit excessive
So many problems
I miss my VW!!!!!!!!!
My 2017 EX does the same thing but not every morning. And only in the rear and only for the first maybe 500 meters. My 2010 CRV will do it but only after a longer sit. Typically days. I would not give up my Civic for a VW though!

a c i d.f l y

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX 2.0 CVT Sedan w Sensing
Country flag
So many problems
I miss my VW!!!!!!!!!
What other "problems" have you experienced? My rears started making the grinding noise when backing out of the drive way after about 6 months of ownership, but it's been pretty rainy and humid lately. I expect rust build up on stock rotors. The car's panels are fairly thin so you can hear little sounds like this that are normal for any car.

My previous 96 Civic had drums in the rear and those things were grossly noisy. One side was fairly "sticky" and I had to replace the drum pads about once a year the last few years I owned it.

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Yes, I'm not the only one experiencing this! 2017 Civic Hatchback LX. It is similar to the sound that you get after a rainy night and the rotors are rusty, but kind of different (I think). My only comes from the passenger rear wheel.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
I own a LX 2016 and it's doing the same noise, especially if it's been raining and i park my car in the garage. It will do it in the first 100 meters or so. I wonder if the brake pads are semi-metallic or ceramic.
Sponsored