amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Many of you have seen the recent threads on blown engines, thrown rods etc. and some of you are asking this question: Is my engine going to blow? Is the L15B7 reliable? The short answer is...yes, it's reliable. Even though it has been turbocharged, and even though it is GDI.

This engine was developed by Honda in 2016 for the Civic platform (and Accord), to include the Civic turbo, Civic Si, Honda CR-V, and the Honda Accord. Although it is tuned differently for the different platforms, all the Civics except the 2019 Sport share this engine. The Civic Si they added a few things like forged pistons, sodium valves etc for additional cooling and a higher lower compression ratio. You can read more information on this here: https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/honda-civic-si-powertrain

In the majority of threads where the engine was blown or a rod thrown, you will find a similar pattern: the quest for more power. We are not talking Ktuner and an intake. We are talking about full bolt-on's, ethanol and meth injection, custom tunes that in some cases took the power beyond 300 WHP. On stock internals.We are talking torque that leaves anything but the most powerful V8's in the dust. In some cases there were warning signs such as engine sputtering at WOT, fuel trims that were way off, and codes being thrown. In some cases it just went boom without warning.

Now I want to make it clear that I am not putting down any of these people. The purpose of this thread is to not pass judgement on anyone. In fact I admire people willing to take a risk. Also, I am not discussing or advocating any type of tuning or abstaining from tuning in this thread. I don't want to pit the pro tuning and the anti-tuning members, each has his or her reasons for tuning or not tuning, an each side should respect the other.

The 1.5L engine has been around for awhile, both in the NA versions as well as some turbocharged versions in some form. So it has a long history, and a long history of reliability. When Honda reconfigured this engine for the 10th gen Civic, Accord and CR-V, Honda did extensive testing on this engine, you can find articles on this on the internet (Google is your friend here). By their own words, Honda tuned this engine "to last hundreds of thousands of miles". Yes, some issues did pop up such as the oil dilution issue that affected vehicles in cold climates, but Honda addressed it quickly. And in areas with mild climate like beautiful California (insert shameless plug here ;)), oil analysis showed that the oil dilution issue is a nothing burger.

What I am saying here is that your Civic, Civic Sports Hatch, LX, EX, Si etc have a well made economy engine, and I have to emphasize economy, one that was built to last. So trying to get 300 WHP out this engine with stock internals is risky, especially if you don't know what you are doing or you go to far. There is no evidence to suggest that a minor tune such as TSP's stage 1 tune or Ktuner base tunes on a stock engine would do any damage, but that is an argument for another day when more data becomes available or we start seeing failed engines on these tunes.

So other than the freak failure or the 1 out of a million engines that may have a factory defect, I think it's safe to say that if you take care of your car, maintain your engine, you will get years of enjoyment out of it and it won't blow up on you
Sponsored

Last edited:

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
Many of you have seen the recent threads on blown engines, thrown rods etc. and some of you are asking this question: Is my engine going to blow? Is the L15B7 reliable? The short answer is...yes. Even though it has been turbocharged, and even though it is GDI.

This engine was developed by Honda in 2016 for the Civic platform (and Accord), to include the Civic turbo, Civic Si, Honda CR-V, and the Honda Accord. Although it is tuned differently for the different platforms, all the Civics except the 2019 Sport share this engine. The Civic Si they added a few things like forged pistons, sodium valves etc for additional cooling and a higher compression ratio. You can read more information on this here: https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/honda-civic-si-powertrain

In the majority of threads where the engine was blown or a rod thrown, you will find a similar pattern: the quest for more power. We are not talking Ktuner and an intake. We are talking about full bolt-on's, ethanol and meth injection, custom tunes that in some cases took the power beyond 300 WHP. On stock internals.We are talking torque that leaves anything but the most powerful V8's in the dust. In some cases there were warning signs such as engine sputtering at WOT, fuel trims that were way off, and codes being thrown. In some cases it just went boom without warning.

Now I want to make it clear that I am not putting down any of these people. The purpose of this thread is to not pass judgement on anyone. In fact I admire people willing to take a risk. Also, I am not discussing or advocating any type of tuning or abstaining from tuning in this thread. I don't want to pit the pro tuning and the anti-tuning members, each has his or her reasons for tuning or not tuning, an each side should respect the other.

The 1.5L engine has been around for awhile, both in the NA versions as well as some turbocharged versions in some form. So it has a long history, and a long history of reliability. When Honda reconfigured this engine for the 10th gen Civic, Accord and CR-V, Honda did extensive testing on this engine, you can find articles on this on the internet (Google is your friend here). By their own words, Honda tuned this engine "to last hundreds of thousands of miles". Yes, some issues did pop up such as the oil dilution issue that affected vehicles in cold climates, but Honda addressed it quickly. And in areas with mild climate like beautiful California (insert shameless plug here ;)), oil analysis showed that the oil dilution issue is a nothing burger.

What I am saying here is that your Civic, Civic Sports Hatch, LX, EX, Si etc have a well made economy engine, and I have to emphasize economy, one that was built to last. So trying to get 300 WHP out this engine with stock internals is risky, especially if you don't know what you are doing or you go to far. There is no evidence to suggest that a minor tune such as TSP's stage 1 tune or Ktuner base tunes on a stock engine would do any damage, but that is an argument for another day when more data becomes available or we start seeing failed engines on these tunes.

So other than the freak failure or the 1 out of a million engines that may have a factory defect, I think it's safe to say that if you take care of your car, maintain your engine, you will get years of enjoyment out of it and it won't blow up on you
Well written :thumbsup:

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So you're telling me I can stop wearing my bomb-defusal suit for my grocery runs?
Ha ha, I have to remember that one!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Amirza, nice post. This is what I was basically saying throughout the recently locked blown engine topic. Honda definitely tuned the 1.5 turbo well below it's capability to ensure reliability and to help meet CAFE mileage standards. Adding a mild base tune certainly has the potential to lower long term durability, but as you said, should keep things within safety tolerances.

And you're right, there is a limit where the stock internals can fail with too much torque and hp. No one can definitely say the exact numbers. But, it's safe to say while the base tunes present some small risk, 300WHP is obviously well past the danger zone. And once you up the power too much, abusive driving habits or poor maintenance will bite you in the ass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you want a 300 HP/ 300 ft lb torque Civic, buy one.

Great write up.
You mean like a CTR? I'm game in 5 years on the used market....hopefully they don't appreciate like an S2000! ;)

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Honda corporate needs to hire you.

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Old whips: 2005 RSX Type S, 2015 Civic Si Coupe, 1998 Integra GSR Green, 1998 Integra GSR Red
Country flag
Amirza, nice post. This is what I was basically saying throughout the recently locked blown engine topic. Honda definitely tuned the 1.5 turbo well below it's capability to ensure reliability and to help meet CAFE mileage standards. Adding a mild base tune certainly has the potential to lower long term durability, but as you said, should keep things within safety tolerances.

And you're right, there is a limit where the stock internals can fail with too much torque and hp. No one can definitely say the exact numbers. But, it's safe to say while the base tunes present some small risk, 300WHP is obviously well past the danger zone. And once you up the power too much, abusive driving habits or poor maintenance will bite you in the ass.
While Honda "might" have left a little wiggle room for performance.. The car is rated around 19-20psi in stock form on a 1.5 liter motor with 10:3:1 compression. It almost maxed out from the factory in my opinion. For example, my friend said his STI runs around 15psi with much lower compression in stock form. To put things into perspective. And yea I know about direct injection in the Si, but it still has to be a factor.
TSP stage 1 is about as far as you'd want to go. Even then you wouldn't want to drive in map 3 all the time. Long as you don't get crazy with the tune and abuse the car, it should last.

Last edited:

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
As far as psi numbers keep in mind our turbo and the turbo in the STI are different animals. It's not apples to apples.
I here ya. In my opinion they've extracted a lot of power from this little motor. You can't do a heck of a lot more without beefing up the internals = facts
Of course you'll always have the guy who claims to run 30psi all day everyday on stock internals with no issues.. But thats not real life

OP
OP
amirza786

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
While Honda "might" have left a little wiggle room for performance.. The car is rated around 19-20psi in stock form on a 1.5 liter motor with 10:3:1 compression. It almost maxed out from the factory in my opinion. For example, my friend said his STI runs around 15psi with much lower compression in stock form. To put things into perspective. And yea I know about direct injection in the Si, but it still has to be a factor.
TSP stage 1 is about as far as you'd want to go. Even then you wouldn't want to drive in map 3 all the time. Long as you don't get crazy with the tune and abuse the car, it should last.
I think Map 3 is more harmful to the clutch than the engine. 23.5 psi should not hurt the rods *unless* you are going WOT in 5th or 6th gear at low RPM

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think Map 3 is more harmful to the clutch than the engine. 23.5 psi should not hurt the rods *unless* you are going WOT in 5th or 6th gear at low RPM
Agreed. Even though I'd still be conservative with map 3. It's like an increase of 60-80lbs of tq. Ideally you'd have the tq come in a higher rpms. I think you could even dial it in by gear :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
psi ≠ airflow, STI turbo is slightly bigger than the Si turbo, so even though it's lower PSI, I'm pretty sure it's moving near same amount of air as our turbos do at a higher PSI

maggs_10thgen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
psi ≠ airflow, STI turbo is slightly bigger than the Si turbo, so even though it's lower PSI, I'm pretty sure it's moving near same amount of air as our turbos do at a higher PSI
I don't know too much about the Sti. My buddy was a little shocked when he saw the spec sheet online that said 20.3psi. Even though I think it might be 19
Sponsored