No! You can't drive my Type R

Who would you grant the privilege to drive your Type R?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

junktea1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR, Countryman
Country flag
Before becoming a Type R owner, I always wondered how the car drove and how it felt. Sure, I took the test drive in a Civic Si and was told by the sales person that the Type R felt similar, but in reality it didn't unless you were driving under 45 mph in comfort mode.

I didn't have any friends who I could ask to test drive their car and the one who I came across as my wife's acquaintance said "no way" even after offering to pay for lunch or $50. Even sitting as a passenger was not possible.

So after deal hunting, searching for the past year, and finally purchasing one at MSRP, I am frankly not letting anyone drive my car except my wife and my mechanic.

My cousin wants to drive it, but rarely would he ever let me drive his crappy 320i. It's a lease! I gave him the liberty of sitting as a passenger. My roommate wants to drive it but why give him the pleasure. Go pay $50K and drive your own.

I have a college friend who really wants to get a Type R. He has two kids so this might not be the most suitable car for him based upon the ride height. He also has tight finances so I think an Accord or sedan Si might be more suited for him. I was excited for him and thought we could be Type R buddies, but after helping him search for the past week and coming across to demo Type R's at MSRP pricing, he didn't jump on it and said well I have to get the bank financing done and there is a Manny Pacquiao fight. Who cares? You can record it and watch it later. This Type R might be sold by the time you get off your @ss.

Now I feel he is not a true buyer and just wants to play with my car. Come next week if he wants to drive it - no way bro! Go buy one. If not, just keep wondering about the feeling since I paid buck for this car.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I had to HUNT for this car. Just wanted to share my story and hopefully you can share yours too. Let's keep it amusing.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
i usually don't mind letting anyone drive my car as long as I am sitting next to it. I'm not really picky at all.

However, i only have maybe 1 or 2 friends that i would trust letting them borrow the car.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Funny thing is the youngest kid(40yo) bought a 2018 and bugged the crap out of me to drive it. I expressed interest in buying his if he moved on to a different car(long story) and put my name on the waiting list at the dealer when he got his. I did drive it for less than 10 minutes with him in the car. After that I knew I wanted one and drove back home. When he was back in town a couple of months later he wanted me to drive it for a few days and even mentioned using my 911 if he needed a car. HHHMMM; alternative motive?? Not really he just wanted me to be sure and I guess he trusts me...I wouldn't!! Depends on the person from my perspective. I let all three kids plus one in-law drive the P-car when I got it, but I rode shotgun just in case "they had any questions..." Right!

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Really? The wife is hot for buying this car because she has loved all of her previous manual transmission Hondas! A Prelude and two previous Accords. She hates automatics! BTW we are both "old folk"!

My wife thinks she's going to learn how to drive a manual on my R once I pick it up. Yeah, no, not gonna happen

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Eh...I let a guy on here drive mine right after I got it. He let me drive is S2000 which I had never driven before. Figured he knew how to drive manual so what could really go wrong? Poor guy was stuck in rush-hour traffic the whole time and didn't even get to see what the car can actually do. Anyway, I've let 4 or 5 people drive it. As long as they know how to drive manual, and I'm in the passenger seat, I don't care. I want people to experience how great this car is.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
Eh...I let a guy on here drive mine right after I got it. He let me drive is S2000 which I had never driven before. Figured he knew how to drive manual so what could really go wrong? Poor guy was stuck in rush-hour traffic the whole time and didn't even get to see what the car can actually do. Anyway, I've let 4 or 5 people drive it. As long as they know how to drive manual, and I'm in the passenger seat, I don't care. I want people to experience how great this car is.
I agree. I've let multiple people drive it. A couple have been potential buyers that would not get a chance to test drive it otherwise. I also offer folks here on the forums a chance to test drive mine if they're in the area and are potentially looking to buy one for themselves. I want others to experience the car too. I definitely don't want to keep it all to myself. It's not my girlfriend.

golfer883

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
Country flag
Before becoming a Type R owner, I always wondered how the car drove and how it felt. Sure, I took the test drive in a Civic Si and was told by the sales person that the Type R felt similar, but in reality it didn't unless you were driving under 45 mph in comfort mode.

I didn't have any friends who I could ask to test drive their car and the one who I came across as my wife's acquaintance said "no way" even after offering to pay for lunch or $50. Even sitting as a passenger was not possible.

So after deal hunting, searching for the past year, and finally purchasing one at MSRP, I am frankly not letting anyone drive my car except my wife and my mechanic.

My cousin wants to drive it, but rarely would he ever let me drive his crappy 320i. It's a lease! I gave him the liberty of sitting as a passenger. My roommate wants to drive it but why give him the pleasure. Go pay $50K and drive your own.

I have a college friend who really wants to get a Type R. He has two kids so this might not be the most suitable car for him based upon the ride height. He also has tight finances so I think an Accord or sedan Si might be more suited for him. I was excited for him and thought we could be Type R buddies, but after helping him search for the past week and coming across to demo Type R's at MSRP pricing, he didn't jump on it and said well I have to get the bank financing done and there is a Manny Pacquiao fight. Who cares? You can record it and watch it later. This Type R might be sold by the time you get off your @ss.

Now I feel he is not a true buyer and just wants to play with my car. Come next week if he wants to drive it - no way bro! Go buy one. If not, just keep wondering about the feeling since I paid buck for this car.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I had to HUNT for this car. Just wanted to share my story and hopefully you can share yours too. Let's keep it amusing.
It's a 35 grand civic, This isn't a gtr man. To the guy who wouldn't even let you sit in passenger seat, wtf is wrong with him.

I can understand dealers not letting test drives on brand new to keep low miles but this is just silly. If my friend wants to drive it and I'm riding along its no big deal.

Mr. Woody

First Name
Woodrow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have let a few people drive mine. My brother who sold it to me at the dealership, my mom, my roommate, the people I think that won't dog it out intentionally. It is a really fun car and seeing the smiles on their faces while driving it is priceless.

Now there are some people I won't let drive it. I traded in my 2018 Si for a 2018 type R. Friends who wanted to drive the Si and showed me their careless driving behaviors will not be getting behind the wheel of this one.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Please make the poll allow multiple selections... That said, there's a relatively small list of people who I would trust to drive my Type R:
  1. My friend's father actually took it for a spin a few days after I got it around the block. He taught me how to drive stick for a few hours on his truck and I do trust him to drive the car.
  2. My parents if they ever decide to learn how to drive stick. I've offered to teach them since our driveway kind of gets packed at times so they could have the freedom to move my car round if needed without needing to ask me to actually go out and move my car.
  3. If a friend is seriously considering buying one and have the funds to do so, I will let them take a test drive if they know how to drive stick. I'll be in the passenger seat and no launches (I don't even the launch the thing). If they do anything stupid (IE physically damaging to the vehicle), the drive ends. The car has been broken in and it's my DD (has 18k miles so far), so I'm not too worried; it's going to get driven anyways.
My list of people who won't ever drive it is only 1 long right now; it's my brother. He's under the impression that to be stopped on a hill, you have to use the clutch and stay in gear like he does with his bike... I tried to tell him it wasn't true, but he wasn't having any of it and it turned into a yelling match... So um... Yeah, no.

My wife thinks she's going to learn how to drive a manual on my R once I pick it up. Yeah, no, not gonna happen
To be honest, I kind of learned to drive manual on my CTR. It's not going to kill it, though the clutch might lose a few thousand miles worth of life.

tsw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Even sitting as a passenger was not possible.
?? F* that! Getting to ride the car should not be that hard.. I asked my neighbor for that and was surprised that he offered me to drive his $140K car

Chee_hu

First Name
Sherwin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#611 Rallye Red CTR | 1998 Civic EX | 2007 Honda Fit Sport
Country flag
Friends and family who asked to drive it got the keys with any hesitation from me. Hell, one even scraped the lip while backing out of our driveway and I didn't even cringe. It's a car.

eshults5

First Name
Eugene C Shults
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
No offense but that dude sounds like a dick. Not even as a passenger? Why? Lol. Are you a dog? It's not like we are driving lambos here.

spacemanspiff

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Civic Type R, 2006 Toyota Corolla S
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not like we are driving lambos here.
Hell, even if we were, why not let someone ride along as a passenger? As long as they shower every day and aren't bringing food in the car, what's the big deal?
Sponsored