No sound after new sub install

ShanMan14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I installed a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 as shown here based on this thread.

I didn't install an amp or anything else, only the sub. Now if I turn up the stereo, it stops working. Rebooting the head unit doesn't work but if I turn the car off and back on it works again.

This was a super easy install so I'm baffled what I could have possibly done incorrectly but the system does not like this sub. Is it defective? Would it work at all if I wired it incorrectly?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored

rplush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX
Country flag
I installed a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 ...

I didn't install an amp or anything else, only the sub. ..
There's your first issue. It's a 150w RMS subwoofer. You're powering that off of the 7" headunit with "premium" sound.

Secondly, how did you wire the sub? It's a 2ohm DVC. Is it set up for 1 ohm or 4 ohms?

OP
OP
ShanMan14

ShanMan14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's your first issue. It's a 150w RMS subwoofer. You're powering that off of the 7" headunit with "premium" sound.

Secondly, how did you wire the sub? It's a 2ohm DVC. Is it set up for 1 ohm or 4 ohms?
I know it's not going to do much without an amp, I will add that soon but I have the sub now so I figured I'd put that in.

It's wired with the positive and negative together, like this video.

I clearly have no idea what I'm doing. :eek:

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I know it's not going to do much without an amp, I will add that soon but I have the sub now so I figured I'd put that in.

It's wired with the positive and negative together, like this video.

I clearly have no idea what I'm doing. :eek:
That's parallel. You've got it wired to 1ohm which the amp can't handle at higher volume. You need to wire it in series to 4ohms. It won't be as loud but it shouldn't send the amp into protect.

OP
OP
ShanMan14

ShanMan14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That's parallel. You've got it wired to 1ohm which the amp can't handle at higher volume. You need to wire it in series to 4ohms. It won't be as loud but it shouldn't send the amp into protect.
I see, I have a dual 2-ohm sub, that video is a dual 4-ohm.

I should be wiring like this (amp is the HU at the moment):
Honda Civic 10th gen No sound after new sub install 1_sub_DVC_2_ohm_mono_variation1