No refresh for 2019 Honda Civic

CivicNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
How durable is the steering wheel control? I can see that needing replacement eventually
Just by feeling, I'm not sure because it makes cheap plastic creaky sounds when I push the buttons. I have a friend who has a '13 civic with similar controls and hers still work.
Sponsored

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
slide to mute isnt on the 18's? why would they stop that feature?

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
slide to mute isnt on the 18's? why would they stop that feature?
It isn’t, they even pulled it out of the manual. The only thing I can think of is people were accidently maxing their volume.

I haven’t seen that complaint on here though so who knows.

As a side effect of them pulling it out of the manual my full-size coupe manual doesn’t even mention steering wheel volume controls on the cars that have display audio anymore, you just have to guess that’s what it’s for. Lol

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
So you could turn it off correct? Don’t see the issue
I think you can turn it off on the cars that have it yeah.

If you really need to mute the radio quick just hit the power switch it comes on and off really quick

CIVICSPORT

Doctor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
No update for 2019. I have a direct line to a Canadian Honda Automobiles Product Manager.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
maybe installing a older slider in it will bring the feature back

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
maybe installing a older slider in it will bring the feature back

I figured actually that it was going to be discovered how to turn it back on like it was just hidden like the browser but that hasn’t happened.

It probably is still the right piece of hardware. Just disabled somehow software wise. Maybe removed.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
No update for 2019. I have a direct line to a Canadian Honda Automobiles Product Manager.
I’m not expecting anything personally, if it ends up being something it’s going to be really small.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As a person with a volume knob, I don't think I have ever touched that thing unless I was a passenger. I use the steering wheel controls a lot more. As for the muting, holding down the - side of the button will mute it eventually.
On my 2006 TSX, it had both a volume knob and volume control on the steering wheel. I found myself hardly using the knob, and using the controls on the steering wheel almost all of the time. So after 11 years with the TSX, when I got my Civic, having no volume knob was no big deal at all.
How durable is the steering wheel control? I can see that needing replacement eventually
11 years with the TSX, and 0 problems with any of the steering wheel buttons/switches. Don't think we really need to worry too much about that on the Civic.

dmitri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
On my 2006 TSX, it had both a volume knob and volume control on the steering wheel. I found myself hardly using the knob, and using the controls on the steering wheel almost all of the time. So after 11 years with the TSX, when I got my Civic, having no volume knob was no big deal at all.

11 years with the TSX, and 0 problems with any of the steering wheel buttons/switches. Don't think we really need to worry too much about that on the Civic.
Ha... 13 years with the '04 TSX over here, and pretty much the same experience. Although I did find the knob extremely useful when needing to quickly adjust the volume to a specific "value", whether up or down (or to mute it). With the Civic's controls, it takes a fraction of a second longer.

Wouldn't object having the knob again, but OTOH its absence isn't causing any real functional deficiencies.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Instead of adding back the volume knob honda should've just added a small mute button to the steering controls. Simple as that. My friends 06 mazda had a mute button, always a bit confusing why honda neglects a simple mute button.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ha... 13 years with the '04 TSX over here, and pretty much the same experience. Although I did find the knob extremely useful when needing to quickly adjust the volume to a specific "value", whether up or down (or to mute it). With the Civic's controls, it takes a fraction of a second longer.

Wouldn't object having the knob again, but OTOH its absence isn't causing any real functional deficiencies.
nice, I have an 04 TSX as well, My mom owned it first and passed it my wife when my mom bought an ILX. The only damn thing replaced in that car has outside of routine maintenance is the sun visors. Everything else works. Those that have ever driven a car with steering wheel controls will never miss the knob.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honestly, look at the rest of the segment. Honda knows they don't need to update for at least another year and they'll maintain sales.

And if this 25% NAFTA tariff comes through, all Fit buyers automatically become Civic buyers. The Accord may be hurting, but the Civic's far from done.
Sponsored