No refresh for 2019 Honda Civic

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I just came from a 2017 Accord that had all the tech stuff and traded it on a 2018 Civic lx. I don’t miss the tech stuff at all and appreciate the simplicity of the Civic. I like the volume knob as I can now reach over without looking to turn the volume down. I know alot of people didnt like not have the knob which is why Honda obvisouly changed it in 2018 on the new Accords.
You have a volume control right on the steering wheel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I never understood the issue of not having a volume knob when the one on the steering wheel works great and i'm probably going to primarily use that anyway even if there was a volume knob.

Dying2Live

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX Sedan Manual
Country flag
your not meant to understand it and neither am i, the world has either volume knob people or steering wheel volume control people, and im fine with that

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's $5+ in California.

Yes, I remember when LED headlights, heated seats, Pano-roofs, safety tech were only found in the luxury class. People are getting what they want now.
This is the same reason why Civic are now almost $30k that include all that tech....People wanted it, they got it, then dont want to pay for it. People wanted a more luxurious Accord too, but not at $36k.
I use the volume slider to get the volume at the exact number I want....every time.

Just sayin'
In an age where change is always happening its amazing to me that people cling to the smallest thing like a volume knobs that make you take your hand off the wheel and eyes off the road to change rather than just sliding your finger. Probably the same people in an uproar that apple took away the home button on the Iphone X

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I think the volume slider on the steering wheel works perfectly. And the quick swipe to mute is great. The only thing I find to be annoying is the manual climate control setup in the upper models. I get that most people probably just use the auto climate setting but I like a little control. Pressing that climate button to then get to the on screen controls is a bit distracting while driving

CivicNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Let me be MORE clear. You, @CivicNerd posted that NO 2019 Honda models offer Sensing standard. In fact, there are 3.

2019 Fit Sensing Standard EX-up
2019 Odyssey Sensing Standard Ex-up
2019 Ridgeline Sensing Standard RTL-E-up

I am aware that not ALL trims have it...yet. The Accord is a precursor of things to come in future "Top Selling" models such as the Civic, CRV. The LX trim of the CRV will soon have sensing standard as well. I love my EX CRV with it.
@Zooropa82 I just reread my reply and just realized what I meant to convey is that models that are only getting a refresh and not a redesign (or had a redesign prior to 2019) for 2019 won't have it standard across the board. Honda is one of the last car companies to have any Sensing suite standard on all vehicles. If you look at most other car companies (Toyota, Subaru, etc.), every car they produce has their form of sensing.

I am not trying to argue with you, I just didn't make myself clear. Trust me, I love my Civic LX with it and I'm glad I was able to get a lower trim with it, I just wish Honda had it on every car they made instead of having to choose a higher trim just to have it.

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think the volume slider on the steering wheel works perfectly. And the quick swipe to mute is great. The only thing I find to be annoying is the manual climate control setup in the upper models. I get that most people probably just use the auto climate setting but I like a little control. Pressing that climate button to then get to the on screen controls is a bit distracting while driving
That is literally my only complaint. Even if I auto start and get in the car. I want to manually crank that sucker to Hi speed, top vents, and LO air lol. Waiting that 15 seconds or so is annoying lol

CivicNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
I have not been successful in getting the swipe mute thing to work.... Like some others have said here, I do have volume knobs, but I find myself using my steering wheel controls a lot. I never had to experience the touchscreen climate control, but I do find the knobs for that convenient since I can adjust things without looking.

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
The steering slider function was disabled for 2018 and maybe part of 2017. So we don’t all have that.

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
Not sure why we can't have both steering wheel controls and volume knob, and on my old car I did not have to take my eyes of the road to use the volume knob

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Not sure why we can't have both steering wheel controls and volume knob, and on my old car I did not have to take my eyes of the road to use the volume knob
Use the steering wheel one you just mentioned and you don’t have to take your eyes off the road. This is really crying about nothing. It even shows you the volume level in the gauge cluster so you don’t have to turn your head.

CivicNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
As a person with a volume knob, I don't think I have ever touched that thing unless I was a passenger. I use the steering wheel controls a lot more. As for the muting, holding down the - side of the button will mute it eventually.

JoeShades

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
How durable is the steering wheel control? I can see that needing replacement eventually
Sponsored