Sethvon

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CIvic Hatchback Ex
Hey everyone,

I have an '18 civic hatchback ex. I wanna install a hitch myself. I done some reserch and it seems pretty simple. All of the videos i've seen require drilling additional holes in the frame. Does anyone know of a hitch that doesnt require any drilling at all. And if so, is there a difference in quality, strength, and reliability?

All I wanna do is throw a bike rack on the back. Maybe haul something with a little more weight.

I appreciate any responses.

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sethvon

Sethvon

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Did you have to do any drilling to the frame? I keep seeing people say they had to remove some material. But not clear on what they mean. I tried to open the instructions but the page won't load. Does anyone know of a install video?

OP
OP
Sethvon

Sethvon

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I installed the same hitch (Draw-Tite) and plug and play wire harness, pretty easy to install. I have a small utility trailer.
Thanks fitter_here!

Did you have to do any drilling or cutting of the frame?

I'm trying to find a solution without altering the frame

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
Thanks fitter_here!

Did you have to do any drilling or cutting of the frame?

I'm trying to find a solution without altering the frame
No, very easy to install. Just remove the bumper cover et the bumper, straight forward. Be careful when removing the bumper cover.
You have the instructions on ETRAILER.COM for the DRAW-TITE hitch.

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
The only thing that is a bit longer is if you want to install the plug and play wire harness (T connectors) you have to pass a wire to connect to the battery. But this much better than splicing the wires because the wires on cars nowadays are very small.

OP
OP
Sethvon

Sethvon

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, very easy to install. Just remove the bumper cover et the bumper, straight forward. Be careful when removing the bumper cover.
You have the instructions on ETRAILER.COM for the DRAW-TITE hitch.
For some reason I can't open the instructions from Etrailer.com. I found install instructions from Carid.com And one of the steps is to remove some metal on the bumper. They don't explain why you need to cut out the metal.

Then they show a picture of the hitch installed and the metal on the bumper is not cut out.

Any thoughts on that?

It seems like all I have to do is take the bumper cover and bumper off. Then bolt on the hitch and bumper. Then put the bumper cover back on.

Does the bumper stick out farther from the frame because the hitch is now between the frame and the bumper, and that is causing the bumper to now hit the bumper cover?

Did you run into that issue?

Also, Thanks for all your help

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag
For some reason I can't open the instructions from Etrailer.com. I found install instructions from Carid.com And one of the steps is to remove some metal on the bumper. They don't explain why you need to cut out the metal.

Then they show a picture of the hitch installed and the metal on the bumper is not cut out.

Any thoughts on that?

It seems like all I have to do is take the bumper cover and bumper off. Then bolt on the hitch and bumper. Then put the bumper cover back on.

Does the bumper stick out farther from the frame because the hitch is now between the frame and the bumper, and that is causing the bumper to now hit the bumper cover?

You have to cut the black plastic, 2"3/4 X 4"
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Honda Civic 10th gen No drill hitch Trailer Hitch.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen No drill hitch Trailer hitch-1.JPG

fitter_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2016 Sedan
Country flag

Any thoughts on that?

Here's the instructions in PDF for the Draw-Tite

Attachments

OP
OP
Sethvon

Sethvon

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You also have to trim the bumper for facia clearance as per figure 2. Easy to do.
For this did you have to cut that part out? or just grind it down? How did you complete this part of the install?