NINEO LED headlights w/ pics

1. Acey

Acey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Coupe EX-T 6MT
    #46 Acey, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    LED drop-in bulbs as a whole are trash, I don't have any and nearly immediately sold any that I've bought as they were only for testing purposes. HID retrofit is the only way to go for proper output. Not really that expensive.

2Stroke is a better overall output than Nineo or similar bulbs based on our testing, which are too heavy in the foreground. People get deceived by peak output vs overall beam pattern when rating output, hence the constant overrating of OEM Touring.

Telling people not to buy certain brands because of a name isn't necessarily bad, as long as you preface it by saying all LED drop-in are going to be trash vs HID or a retro.

2. 86salmon

86salmon It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!

Car(s):
    2018 Civic si sedan

Are these tests compiled and published anywhere? It would be a great resource for the forum

3. OP
    Brunske15

Brunske15 Senior Member

911 Operator/Public Safety Dispatch
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX
    2nd that.. I'd like to see the results and how they were tested. I'm really hoping "testing" wasn't you and your buddies comparing bulbs.. haha... HID versus LED versus whatever... is all really a matter of opinion/preference. Everyone is going to have a preference and it is usually dictated by cost. I bet there are people out there that prefer halogens for the cost and ease of buying them locally. I used to love Silverstar Ultras and I'm very happy with the Nineo LEDs. I'm sure there is bigger and better things but I'm not worried about it.

midengine driver thanked this.
  4. NoHonor937

NoHonor937 Senior Member

Car(s):
    Black 17 civic
    Even regular LEDS will blind anyone as the car shifts up and down hills. I had a Lexus behind me and every time I moved forward I got blinded like fuck. There’s literally no difference.

5. Acey

Acey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Coupe EX-T 6MT
    If you're below the cutoff, you will get blinded like fuck with any OEM HID or LED setup. The problem with drop-in bulbs in our cars is excessive glare created above the cutoff.

That's fine, personal preference is one thing... and it's really not a matter of opinion since you can objectively quantity the spread of light, the percentage that lands in the foreground, and the lux of light that is projected at the cutoff since that's where you want it for distance vision. When you've done enough retrofits with high quality projectors like RX350's, TL's, etc you know what good output is supposed to look like.

It's completely fine if you're okay with the Nineo output, and I've given up trying to tell people not to put these kinds of bulbs in their cars and don't really care anymore. But there is merit in bulbs like SL1 or 2Stroke 2.0 because of the beam pattern, even if they are overpriced.

6. midengine driver

midengine driver Senior Member

Gage sales now, automotive sales past 36 years.
    Car(s):
    2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2016 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Sport Package, 3800SC Fiero
    high quality projectors like RX350's, TL's, But there is merit in bulbs like SL1 or 2Stroke 2.0 because of the beam pattern, even if they are overpriced. So what do you recommend and where does one find these?

7. Acey

Acey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Coupe EX-T 6MT
    That is the Morimoto Mini H1 retro will destroy any HID-swapped halogen projector, OEM Touring, Nineo, 2Stroke, whatever other garbage: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retro-quik-honda-civic.html

RX350's would be here: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-xenon-lexus-rx350.html

These things kinda require you to know what you're doing. I don't claim them to be easier than any of the aforementioned options. It's much easier to drop shitty LED bulbs in the halogen projectors then shit on people who have dropped slightly less shitty LED bulbs into the OEM projectors.

8. julianzh

julianzh Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 Civic EX-t
    If I can’t plug and play those retro fit headlight, it’s pretty shitty and useless.

9. Acey

Acey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Coupe EX-T 6MT
    That just means you're incompetent, retro quik is incredibly easy by retro standards... your inability to do it has no bearing on its actual output vs drop-in to the OEM projectors, which was the basis of my argument. I acknowledge that drop-in are easier and cheaper and that's why people do it.

By your logic an intercooler or exhaust upgrade are shitty and useless because they may involve bumper removal.

10. OP
    Brunske15

Brunske15 Senior Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX
    #55 Brunske15, Jan 15, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 9:02 AM
    Look man I appreciate the input. I do. If I was asking for opinions on which LEDs to buy. Which I wasnt.. .. This is an ownership thread on Nineo LEDs that by and large differs from most of the other threads that rave about Morimotos *which I'm sure are great*. A 170 or 200 dollar retrofit kit is going to be superior. I'm not even going to dispute that fact. However, most people are going to want a simple and cost effective solution to improve the lighting and change the lights temperature to match the rest of the car. Full stop that is usually the objective. I think I found a home run in the Sub-50 dollar price range. Is it the best out there... Seriously doubt it but for me it was cost effective and an upgrade to me. I could upgrade the High, Low, and Fog beams for sub 150 bucks. That's a home run...to me. I'll say it again... To me.

What I don't think other members here appreciate is someone that borderline has a superiority complex. Most of us come here to learn more about the car. What we don't come here for is someone to call us incompetent for not wanting to retrofit lights in a car. I'm glad you found your Holy Grail but don't expect people to drink your Kool Aid from it.

11. Acey

Acey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Coupe EX-T 6MT
    Sure. Congrats on typing all that. I don't expect everyone to be able to retrofit headlights, nor care what cheap bulbs you put in your car. Calling lights (retros) that are actually functional "stupid and useless" because you can't do it is a pretty moronic thing to say.

12. OP
    Brunske15

Brunske15 Senior Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX
    Except you do because here you are... posting here. So you do care to some degree. I hope you read "everything" I wrote because I think you need to comprehend it.

13. daPyr0x

daPyr0x Senior Member

Car(s):
    2016 EX-T
    I have nothing to add to this conversation beyond the image below.

duty_calls.png

FWIW Acey knows more about headlights than most if not all of this board.

14. Acey

Acey Senior Member

Car(s):
    '17 Coupe EX-T 6MT
    #59 Acey, Jan 15, 2019 at 3:03 PM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 3:11 PM
    You need to understand that components that are beyond your expertise, my expertise, ANYBODY'S expertise, are not "shitty and useless", Period. That's all I'm saying. I was addressing that absolutely ludicrous comment, and nothing else. Stop making this a sob story. You say you come here to learn about the car, yet when people give objective information (like the objective testing data from IIHS that says OEM Touring headlights are shit) then the responses are all "omg you're just a hater" or "that's your opinion".

You can objectively test Nineo bulbs with a lux meter and there is clearly too much foreground to the extent that it compromises distance vision. Not really a matter of opinion, it's objective testing. The matter of opinion is that people running these bulbs are fine with their actual vision being compromised because the bulbs are cheap and have good colour. That's entirely their prerogative.

"Incompetent" was apparently the wrong word. My bad. The point remains... if you are "unable" to do something it doesn't make it shitty and useless.

15. OP
    Brunske15

Brunske15 Senior Member

First Name:
    Kyle
    Car(s):
    2017 Honda Civic EX
    #60 Brunske15, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019 at 4:34 PM
    I wasn't the person that stated I was "unable to do something." In fact all I pointed out was that members of forums can make the experience toxic for the rest of us. As a matter of fact I agreed with you that these kits wont compare to 170-200 dollar kits and explained the appeal to most people. Whether you know more about a topic or not..how you conduct yourself is unbecoming. Yeah.. yeah... here is the sob story. I'd be more inclined to listen to you if I asked for your opinion. Which I will remind you again...I did not. I pointed out that I know they aren't the best but I have had a good experience with them (Nineo LED kits) and to me they are an upgrade over the standard halogens...Which I think you may agree with me on. Possibly though I feel it might be a stretch.
    I have a great and wonderful idea. Since you know so much and apparently have people that reinforce this claim. Why don't you make a thread or link one here? Instead of zip a one liner on your first post and call someone else incompetent.
    A beautifully objective forum that empirically tests and shows the results of all the LED headlights. So all the peasants can gaze upon your wealth of information. :thumbsup: