NINEO LED headlights w/ pics

midengine driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport , 2019 Buick Encore AWD, Sold 3800SC Fiero had a few Fieros
Country flag
high quality projectors like RX350's, TL's, But there is merit in bulbs like SL1 or 2Stroke 2.0 because of the beam pattern, even if they are overpriced. So what do you recommend and where does one find these?
Sponsored

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
That is the Morimoto Mini H1 retro will destroy any HID-swapped halogen projector, OEM Touring, Nineo, 2Stroke, whatever other garbage: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/morimoto-retro-quik-honda-civic.html

RX350's would be here: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi-xenon-lexus-rx350.html

These things kinda require you to know what you're doing. I don't claim them to be easier than any of the aforementioned options. It's much easier to drop shitty LED bulbs in the halogen projectors then shit on people who have dropped slightly less shitty LED bulbs into the OEM projectors.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
If I can’t plug and play those retro fit headlight, it’s pretty shitty and useless.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
That just means you're incompetent, retro quik is incredibly easy by retro standards... your inability to do it has no bearing on its actual output vs drop-in to the OEM projectors, which was the basis of my argument. I acknowledge that drop-in are easier and cheaper and that's why people do it.

By your logic an intercooler or exhaust upgrade are shitty and useless because they may involve bumper removal.

OP
OP
Brunske15

Brunske15

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
That just means you're incompetent, retro quik is incredibly easy by retro standards... your inability to do it has no bearing on its actual output vs drop-in to the OEM projectors, which was the basis of my argument. I acknowledge that drop-in are easier and cheaper and that's why people do it.

By your logic an intercooler or exhaust upgrade are shitty and useless because they may involve bumper removal.
Look man I appreciate the input. I do. If I was asking for opinions on which LEDs to buy. Which I wasnt.. .. This is an ownership thread on Nineo LEDs that by and large differs from most of the other threads that rave about Morimotos *which I'm sure are great*. A 170 or 200 dollar retrofit kit is going to be superior. I'm not even going to dispute that fact. However, most people are going to want a simple and cost effective solution to improve the lighting and change the lights temperature to match the rest of the car. Full stop that is usually the objective. I think I found a home run in the Sub-50 dollar price range. Is it the best out there... Seriously doubt it but for me it was cost effective and an upgrade to me. I could upgrade the High, Low, and Fog beams for sub 150 bucks. That's a home run...to me. I'll say it again... To me.

What I don't think other members here appreciate is someone that borderline has a superiority complex. Most of us come here to learn more about the car. What we don't come here for is someone to call us incompetent for not wanting to retrofit lights in a car. I'm glad you found your Holy Grail but don't expect people to drink your Kool Aid from it.

Last edited:

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
Sure. Congrats on typing all that. I don't expect everyone to be able to retrofit headlights, nor care what cheap bulbs you put in your car. Calling lights (retros) that are actually functional "stupid and useless" because you can't do it is a pretty moronic thing to say.

OP
OP
Brunske15

Brunske15

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Sure. Congrats on typing all that. I don't expect everyone to be able to retrofit headlights, nor care what cheap bulbs you put in your car. Calling lights (retros) that are actually functional "stupid and useless" because you can't do it is a pretty moronic thing to say.
Except you do because here you are... posting here. So you do care to some degree. I hope you read "everything" I wrote because I think you need to comprehend it.

daPyr0x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-T
Country flag
I have nothing to add to this conversation beyond the image below.

Honda Civic 10th gen NINEO LED headlights w/ pics duty_calls

FWIW Acey knows more about headlights than most if not all of this board.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
Except you do because here you are... posting here. So you do care to some degree. I hope you read "everything" I wrote because I think you need to comprehend it.
You need to understand that components that are beyond your expertise, my expertise, ANYBODY'S expertise, are not "shitty and useless", Period. That's all I'm saying. I was addressing that absolutely ludicrous comment, and nothing else. Stop making this a sob story. You say you come here to learn about the car, yet when people give objective information (like the objective testing data from IIHS that says OEM Touring headlights are shit) then the responses are all "omg you're just a hater" or "that's your opinion".

You can objectively test Nineo bulbs with a lux meter and there is clearly too much foreground to the extent that it compromises distance vision. Not really a matter of opinion, it's objective testing. The matter of opinion is that people running these bulbs are fine with their actual vision being compromised because the bulbs are cheap and have good colour. That's entirely their prerogative.

"Incompetent" was apparently the wrong word. My bad. The point remains... if you are "unable" to do something it doesn't make it shitty and useless.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brunske15

Brunske15

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
You need to understand that components that are beyond your expertise, my expertise, ANYBODY'S expertise, are not "shitty and useless", Period. That's all I'm saying. I was addressing that absolutely ludicrous comment, and nothing else. Stop making this a sob story. You say you come here to learn about the car, yet when people give objective information (like the objective testing data from IIHS that says OEM Touring headlights are shit) then the responses are all "omg you're just a hater" or "that's your opinion".

You can objectively test Nineo bulbs with a lux meter and there is clearly too much foreground to the extent that it compromises distance vision. Not really a matter of opinion, it's objective testing. The matter of opinion is that people running these bulbs are fine with their actual vision being compromised because the bulbs are cheap and have good colour. That's entirely their prerogative.

"Incompetent" was apparently the wrong word. My bad. The point remains... if you are "unable" to do something it doesn't make it shitty and useless.
I wasn't the person that stated I was "unable to do something." In fact all I pointed out was that members of forums can make the experience toxic for the rest of us. As a matter of fact I agreed with you that these kits wont compare to 170-200 dollar kits and explained the appeal to most people. Whether you know more about a topic or not..how you conduct yourself is unbecoming. Yeah.. yeah... here is the sob story. I'd be more inclined to listen to you if I asked for your opinion. Which I will remind you again...I did not. I pointed out that I know they aren't the best but I have had a good experience with them (Nineo LED kits) and to me they are an upgrade over the standard halogens...Which I think you may agree with me on. Possibly though I feel it might be a stretch.
I have a great and wonderful idea. Since you know so much and apparently have people that reinforce this claim. Why don't you make a thread or link one here? Instead of zip a one liner on your first post and call someone else incompetent.
A beautifully objective forum that empirically tests and shows the results of all the LED headlights. So all the peasants can gaze upon your wealth of information. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

OP
OP
Brunske15

Brunske15

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
On a somewhat relevant note to everyone else. I am in fact still enjoying the Nineo LEDs. Heard people talk about visibility in the snow and I have not had any problems. Still a positive experience and I still recommend them. Even though they aren't the absolute best product I could buy :popcorn:

Last edited:

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
The guy who called led shitty and now he's not happy becuase I called retro fit are shitty. Haha.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag

The issue obviously is that our projector is not represented here, but it's some data showing how 2Stroke performs relative to halogen in some factory installations. When you've dealt with projectors enough, there's actually valuable info that can be gathered by the beam pattern that's projected on a wall, i.e.how light is distributed throughout the entire beam. Do Nineo outperform stock halogen? I'd say city driving yes, highway driving arguably no depending on how much the excessive foreground on a given surface impacts distance vision. That HID look, tho...

The guy who called led shitty and now he's not happy becuase I called retro fit are shitty. Haha.
Retrofits aren't shitty, they're the best output you can get for our cars by a landslide; and also the best aesthetic given that the sky is the limit with a retro. I don't disagree that they're shitty to install... which is a key distinction.

Last edited:

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The issue obviously is that our projector is not represented here
This is the biggest problem for sure. The videos and reviews I've seen from testers seen to mostly be for trucks. The only sedan I recall seeing a comparison with is a VW.

Testing results I've seen for LEDs vary considerably. This is probably due to the variety of housings used. They also seem to be done by people recommending what they themselves are selling or receiving some compensation

With the limited experience I have with led PNP, I find that the supposedly high rated bulbs I chose lack the range and throw halogen provides in our projectors.

Pictures and compiling of our results would be a great resource to all here

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
Yeah it's ultimately why a lot of people who deal with headlights just collectively call LED drop-in trash. Because even at the high end of performance with a half decent beam pattern that decent replicates halogen, it's still not stellar.

I've made a post elsewhere describing 2Stroke 2.0 in our projectors as "10/10 would recommend" but that's in the context of other drop-in LED bulbs, only.
Sponsored