NH to AZ - 2,600+ mile Road Trip in the Type R?

Given the opportunity to travel clear across the US, what would you do?

• Forget the miles, take the Type R on a 2,600 mile roadtrip

Votes: 54 83.1%
  • Preserve it and find a transport company to ship it

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Don't even bother, take the DD instead

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8 Type R, '05 Corvette Z51, '10 128i
Country flag
So I have a unique opportunity with the Army to travel further than I ever had in a car. I'll be heading to AZ for ~5 months coming this October and I plan on having a vehicle during that time.

The deal is I can either fly or drive. If I opt to drive, the Army pays Per Diem for all the costs associated with the long road trip. I could also pay out of pocket for a transport company to take the car ahead of me getting there.

I love my Type R to death and as much as I want to bring it with me, I also don't want to risk wearing her down unnecessarily since I have my DD Fiesta to bring instead. But if I bring the R and with access to the tracks out West, it could be an awesome opportunity for those longer weekends I don't have to report for training .

Of course I have already began considering the positives and negatives of taking my dream car but I wanted to see what you all thought since we all have love and appreciation for this car.

If you had the opportunity to travel that far in your Type R, knowing you can take another car instead, would you anyways?

For those who vote to drive the Type R... I have nothing but time on my side to take as long as I need to get there (As long as I plan accordingly), so if you have recommendations on places to visit, road side attractions, or even want to meet up, please chime in.

Honda Civic 10th gen NH to AZ - 2,600+ mile Road Trip in the Type R? Capture.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen NH to AZ - 2,600+ mile Road Trip in the Type R? 20190623_184805 (2)

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
Who are you saving it for, the next owner? Jeez.. just drive the damn thing already!

Who want to drive a Fiesta cross country?? no one, that's who.

Iilac

Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000, CTR, TUNDRA, MAXIMA, CX9
Country flag
I was like this before too as well. In the past, I would take my DD to go on road trips to prevent damage to my weekender ride but after realizing that I would eventually get bored of the car sitting at home and there are always new interesting cars coming out. I rather get usage out of the weekender car when I can to really enjoy it rather having it sit and sell it for a loss when a more interesting car comes out. Roadtrips like this don't happen often to me so I would want to use the best car available to me to fully enjoy the trip. If damages happen so be it, in the end, it's just a car but the memories created is priceless. My 2 cents.

bluehatch17

First Name
bluehatch17
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sport touring hatchback. 2019 Coupe sport.
Country flag
The only thing I would advise is too much night driving because some roads (in middle America) have limited to no highway lights. And my experience is that debris on these dark highways are killer in the night time. they are normally all trucks and etc and trucks can take a hit. A nice type r can not.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Drive it bro it's just a car and you should enjoy it.

What are you going to remember more - the road trip you took in some stinky loaner that probably drives like shit - or enjoying an exhilarating drive across country in a car you know and love, finding gem roads to enjoy along the way and just enjoying life?

Simple choice!!

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I'd just drive it. A road trip in a boring car would get old fast.

The only thing i'd be worried about possible wheel and tire dmg from the factory 20s. If you have 18s with bigger sidewall, you'd probably be ok.

OP
OP
Mike_R19

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So there's a couple people that say the DD would be boring.. it is a Fiesta ST I'd be driving. Granted, at the end of the day, its still very much a basic fiesta on the inside and not the most comfortable ride.

Notty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Country flag
I'm here in the Ft. Huachuca area with my R and there are no others around here.....so I selfishly vote that you bring your R so we can link up and hit the roads together!! hahahaha

Nanook

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Accord, 2018 Pilot, 2017 Si, 2018 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Drive it and take the southern route you show. So much to do and see that way. Gorgeous through the Appalachians. I drove my R 1600 miles in one weekend and loved every minute of it. Maybe tape up the front to keep chips and bugs to a minimum on the paint. Why own a car if you’re not going to drive it? Also, why spend 2600 miles of misery in a Fiesta!?

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
So there's a couple people that say the DD would be boring.. it is a Fiesta ST I'd be driving. Granted, at the end of the day, its still very much a basic fiesta on the inside and not the most comfortable ride.
don't get me wrong, I love the fiesta ST. It is a fun little car.
But to take it out on a long trip idk. The bigger cabin, interior quality might make for a better comfortable drive for a road trip.

Coldpizza

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Protect it with ppf or tape it up (or tape OVER your ppf, haha) and drive it! You might even run into some fellow R owners along the way. Chances are if you see another CTR and you leave yours at home, you’ll wish you brought it!

OP
OP
Mike_R19

Mike_R19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
don't get me wrong, I love the fiesta ST. It is a fun little car.
But to take it out on a long trip idk. The bigger cabin, interior quality might make for a better comfortable drive for a road trip.
Very valuable point. I used to drive the Fiesta 3 hours and felt like I needed to get back surgery after.

Protect it with ppf or tape it up (or tape OVER your ppf, haha) and drive it! You might even run into some fellow R owners along the way. Chances are if you see another CTR and you leave yours at home, you’ll wish you brought it!
^^^This!!! Exactly what I was thinking with seeing another R if I didn't have mine with me. Happens all the time too. Man I have been looking for somebody to do PPF but its just so damn expensive.$5K for full car at a local shop. But that includes him doing paint corrections. A cheaper shop may not do that.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
I take my car on 500+ mile round trips probably 2-3 a month. Car is perfectly fine.

Honestly this sounds like an awesome road trip. If i were in your shoes I'd no doubt drive it.

Edit: I should have said I put 255/35/20 conti all seasons on it so I've never had a problem with potholes.

idragmazda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
This whole taping it up trend has got to stop with the Type Rs. PPF the front end and go. This is not some prized vintage ferrari. It's a honda for christ sake.
Sponsored